Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,446,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opar View Post
It is an expensive town (some statistics say 50% higher than the national average).
Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Sedona: 112.6
(U.S. average is 100)

//www.city-data.com/city/Sedona-Arizona.html#ixzz0seabljks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,127,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodaz View Post
I was born in Arizona and have been coming to Sedona for 34 years...I remember when there was no Village of Oak Creek, nor much at all in West Sedona...
................... Our "ruined" community of Sedona is a town of >>>>> approx 22,000 residents <<<<<??????
I think possibly you "hit the wrong key".........I believe you meant to type: "approx 12,000 residents".

Old 07-05-2010, 02:08 AM

13,231 posts, read 21,851,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Sedona: 112.6
(U.S. average is 100)

//www.city-data.com/city/Sedona-Arizona.html#ixzz0seabljks
Now, now. Let's not confuse anybody with actual facts.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,273,693 times
I seriously considered it but chose Scottsdale.
Way too much “Vortex” B/S and a little light on shopping.
Visually very nice but I understood for me it could become a little boring.
Also when I pulled up in front of a “coffee shop” I could see the owner eye my CA plates with suspicion, never had that happen before?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,917,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
I seriously considered it but chose Scottsdale.
Way too much “Vortex” B/S and a little light on shopping.
Visually very nice but I understood for me it could become a little boring.
Also when I pulled up in front of a “coffee shop” I could see the owner eye my CA plates with suspicion, never had that happen before?
That's odd. Are you sure it was "suspicion" or curiosity? People in this area EXPECT to see a bazillion out of state plates...from every state. Never heard anyone ever say anything negative about Californians.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM

172 posts, read 422,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Never heard anyone ever say anything negative about Californians.
I almost fell out of my chair reading your above remark.

Your posts suggest you don't live a sheltered life, so how you have NEVER HEARD ANYONE in Sedona complaining about Californians just amazes me (unless it's sarcasm). Live and worked in Sedona for several years and heard plenty anti-California remarks. I usually don't agree with the criticisms, but I sure hear/heard them. How much time have you/do you spend in the Sedona area? Disclosure: I'm a native of California.

Last edited by bongofury; 07-06-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
I almost fell out of my chair reading your above remark.

Your other posts suggest you certainly don't live a sheltered life, so how you have not heard some Sedona locals complaining about Californians just amazes me. Live and worked in Sedona for several years and heard plenty anti-California quips. I don't say I agree with the criticisms, but I sure hear them. Granted, any California money spent in Sedona in this ongoing recession is greeted with open hands and smiles. How much time have you spend in the Sedona area? Disclosure: I'm a native of California.
Nope, haven't heard many, if any, complaints about Californians. But then I tend to not pay much attention to griping. What complaints do you hear? I did work in Sedona for several years and nobody complained to me. And I never complained about them either. "Some Sedona locals"? Maybe you're just paranoid.

Well, let's see...I'm a born native and my dad bought a ranch in Sedona when I was three (1945), I've spent a LOT of time in Sedona over lo these many years and, personally, I don't much like it anymore. NOT because of Californians, for sure, but just because it's gotten way too big, way too commercial, way too touristy, and you can't even enjoy the natural beauty of the place anymore. I remember the 'real' Sedona way too much to enjoy it now. I leave it to the new agers and tourists, no matter where they are from. Heck, I even SEND tourists there! Even Californians!! LOL

Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM

172 posts, read 422,961 times
"I don't much like it anymore. NOT because of Californians, for sure, but just because it's gotten way too big, way too commercial, way too touristy.."

I agree with that anyway. Sedona seems so different from twenty-five years ago. I really miss the Sedona before, but time marches on. I went back to visit several small towns in Spain I knew from military days in the 1970's. Sad how they've changed for the negative in so many ways, much like Sedona. It's not just the perspective of aging that's changed my attitude/outlook, it's the crass commercializing of the town to appeal to tourists, the noise, and the traffic. What traffic you say? If you say that, you don't remember before. The good Sedona today? Same as the old Sedona - Hiking, biking the trails, and coolness of the Oak Creek away from town - waterfowl, fish, sleeping bags, campfires, stars - ah..that's better!

Last edited by bongofury; 07-06-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
"I don't much like it anymore. NOT because of Californians, for sure, but just because it's gotten way too big, way too commercial, way too touristy.."

I agree with that anyway. Sedona seems so different from twenty-five years ago. I really miss the Sedona before, but time marches on. I went back to visit several small towns in Spain I knew from military days in the 1970's. Sad how they've changed for the negative in so many ways, much like Sedona. It's not just the perspective of aging that's changed my attitude/outlook, it's the crass commercializing of the town to appeal to tourists, the noise, and the traffic. What traffic you say? If you say that, you don't remember before. The good Sedona today? Same as the old Sedona - Hiking, biking the trails, and coolness of the Oak Creek away from town - waterfowl, fish, sleeping bags, campfires, stars - ah..that's better!
I'm glad we can agree on some things. I really really miss the "old Sedona". Used to be you could cruise along a two way street, with little traffic, and really enjoy all the gorgeous sights. Not any more! Take your eye off the traffic for 30 seconds and BAM, you're in trouble! My dad used to take us to Slide Rock all the time and we loved it so much. I won't go near the place anymore. It's not my "playground" anymore and the day they put in a permanent e-coli testing station I swore I'd never go again. It may not be there anymore but I still won't go.

Yeah, I guess we have to still look at the positives or it's just too sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona