Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,742 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Flagstaff / Grand Canyon greater area for about 4 months full time and 4 months part time now. I have some breathing issues and the altitude and the dryness take their toll. So for newbies in the area here are some basic tips to help make sleeping at a dry and high altitude easier.

* Hydrate- Drink LOTS of fluids. The moister you are the less problems you will have.
* Use a saline spray- Keep your noise area moist. Spray yourself a few times a day.
* Buy a humidifier and use it- When that humidity gets down below 25% crank the humidifier it will help. Keep it clean too.
* Irrigate- Get one of those squirt up your nose things like a nellie pot (? spelled wrong) or a Neillmed squirt bottle with the saline packs. On the really dry days this helps. Kind of a pain and a little discomforting at first, but you get used to it so it becomes no big deal.

I've done all these things and it helps a lot. I hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 11:25 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Good tips. When it gets really dry, one's sinuses may start to bleed a little. So it's important to either use a neti pot or the canned saline spray. And as you said, stay hydrated.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:56 PM

Another tip. I use the 1200 mg Guaifenesin tablets at night. Use the straight Guaifenesin (Musinex) without any other ingredients. This will make mucus more runny which helps. It's over the counter but maybe check with a doc first if you have medical stuff going on if it is ok to use regularly.

For allergies that might kick up there seems to be some truth to the old wives tail about ingesting local honey as a way to lesson allergies. Find some local stuff and down a few teaspoons of it a week and see if it helps.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:38 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
Still beats 110 degrees in Phoenix.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Still beats 110 degrees in Phoenix.
Absolutely! Plus we have all sorts of cool day trip places to check out...when they aren't jammed up by people coming up from Phoenix to get out of the heat.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 PM

635 posts, read 783,723 times
Eye drops and lotion for your skin. Hydrate.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:05 AM

656 posts, read 812,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Absolutely! Plus we have all sorts of cool day trip places to check out...when they aren't jammed up by people coming up from Phoenix to get out of the heat.
Too late, I leave tomorrow for Flag at dawn.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,692 times
My sinuses get so bad pre-monsoon season that a neti pot won't work. I bought a battery powered Navage nasal cleaner and it's been the best 90 bucks I ever spent. Makes my ears pop! The downside is it only uses its own proprietary saline packs but you can buy them in bulk pretty inexpensively.
In between I use Ayr saline gel. If using a neti pot of any kind be sure to only use it with distilled water or you run the risk of sinus infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona