Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 AM

6 posts, read 33,958 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thinking of relocating to Sedona and would like to know about the wild life in the area, as I have a cat and dog I would be bringing with me. Also not that keen on spiders so would like to know about what type are there and do they get into houses. As where I live rattlesnakes well any snakes etc are no problem I would like to know if they are a problem in Sedona. Getting into houses etc. I am as you can tell by questions I don't know that much about snakes. I hope someone can help me with my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:58 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Unhappy Snakes and scorpions and spiders, oh my!

You won't have snakes IN your house, but it is high desert and there are all sorts of desert critters around the yards and open places: tarantulas, scorpions, lizards, centipedes (the worst!!!), various spiders and insects and ugly bugs...but you don't see all of them all the time. It's just the fauna of the southwest. If you leave the King Snakes and BullSnakes alone you will not have Rattlers, the Kings & Bulls keep rattlers away. In all my years in AZ I have only seen two lives rattlers and that was out hiking...but I have come across many Kings and Bulls, which I invite into my yard as a safety precaution.

I have never lived anywhere or traveled anywhere that there were not various critters lurking about...except for Ireland., There doesn't seem to be many bugs or other creatures there! You just learn about the different insects and reptiles in Arizona and how to avoid them and it's 99.9% fine.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 33,958 times
Thanks that helps.
One other thing will having a small fence help keeping snakes out.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,115 times
Hmmmmm...good question. Can snakes climb/crawl up those stucco/cement walls around yards?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Hmmmmm...good question. Can snakes climb/crawl up those stucco/cement walls around yards?
This is about the Deep South and snakes, but I would think the general rules about walls would still apply:

Keeping Snakes In Their Place

Ken

Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
No fence, not even a block wall, will keep a snake out if the snake wants in...but usually if you keep their hiding places and food supply at a miniumum they will not venture to your property. Wood piles, rock piles, lots of low shrubbery and barns where mice live will attract snakes. They are shy creatures and rarely choose open areas if they can hide somewhere. The exception to this is early mornings in spring and fall when snakes will sun themselves on warm rocks to bring up their body temps. Snakes hibernate in winter.

Be more concerned about those danged centipedes! I hate those suckers. I had one almost 10" long in my house once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona