Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 06:46 PM

402 posts, read 611,724 times

Advertisements

https://www.verdenews.com/news/2018/...s-effect-nov1/

Dont like the trend of taxing people into oblivion going on in AZ. Prescott just hiked their only months. You start factoring this in with the crazy car registration fees and the slight savings in property taxes gets wiped out fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Why are tax increases not up to people for vote on a ballot? City counsel should not have a vote, pathetic.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:34 AM

The Prescott increase was even more crazy. That was to pay for city workers retirement lol.

No idea why someone would buy big ticket items in Prescott or Cottonwood at this point.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,498,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
The Prescott increase was even more crazy. That was to pay for city workers retirement lol.

No idea why someone would buy big ticket items in Prescott or Cottonwood at this point.
I don't know about Prescott, but Cottonwood is going to institute a Use tax. If you buy a big ticket item out of City limits, but live there, you will have to pay a 'use tax'. So, going out of town won't save you much if anything.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:01 PM

Use tax has been around federally for a long time. Nobody actually pays it. It's a self reporting tax.

Also, I believe Cottonwoods implementation does not effect normal consumers. Just businesses

Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,538 times
Quote:
Use tax has been around federally for a long time. Nobody actually pays it. It's a self reporting tax.

Also, I believe Cottonwoods implementation does not effect normal consumers. Just businesses
It does affect normal consumers, at least for vehicle purchases. See examples 1 and 3 in the attached article. Looks like the biggest affect is on business, as you said.

https://www.verdenews.com/news/2018/...tonwoods-use-/

Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 AM

225 posts, read 144,178 times
My grandma used to say to those around her who complained, "better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Central Arizona is for most part still pretty affordable place to live withstanding cost of buying a house (people moving to Verde Valley with deeper pockets are changing the landscape, but hopefully it will never become so out of control whereby long time locals can no longer afford to live there. I heard some complaining this was already starting to happen the last years before I left for Atlanta area. June of this year I left Cottonwood for suburbs of Atlanta as parents are very fragile. With only my sister to do stuff for parents, increasingly felt terrible guilt not being around to help out. Over sixteen years lived in Camp Verde, Clarkdale, Cottonwood and for a year in Prescott. I say to my Central Arizona friends I left behind, "count your blessings" as you live in a good place, especially good place for older folks. I so much miss the lighter traffic, views of open spaces, dryer climate and affordability for most essentials like groceries and such. The CATS shuttles, the Verde Valley Medical Center, the Recreation Center, the Verde River, Dead horse, and proximity to other towns in region was a plus. The Atlanta suburbs, I don't really need to tell you probably, is a grossly congested place with poor air quality, drippy humidity, roaches everywhere no matter how clean one keeps their home and much higher cost of living for most everything. I lived in Atlanta area in mid-to-late 1970's and what has changed since then is tragic and jaw-dropping. I only hope that the Verde Valley does not become similarly congested in another ten to twenty years. My late wife and I used to visit Sedona for a weekend occasionally back in the 1980's when the worst intrusion was people handing out timeshare flyers to tourists. Back then we felt like Sedona had a small town vibe. Sedona of course still has the red rocks and nice hiking trails, but the small town vibe has mostly evaporated. Sedona traffic has at least tripled since the eighties. The main drag through Sedona has become junky looking with signage everywhere. The last five years living in the Verde Valley seldom bothered going to Sedona, so sad was I with the degradations of a once nice place (I don't like the changes I've seen in Boise either btw). More than ever, (as with Grand Canyon) the colder months in Sedona are the time to visit when tourism thins out. Seen too many destination towns across US suffering a similar fate. No one can stop population growth, but be thankful for what you have in Verde Valley, because years from now much may change. Hope not, but it's changing so fast in so many areas. If my parents were to predecease me and I am able, I would be happy to return to Central Arizona. As long as the soon to come new Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks don't become a flood of other corporate stores choking the town. Many of us remember what Prescott Valley once was like and what happened there (still nice place to retire though compared to suburbs of Atlanta or similar mess).

Last edited by trouillot; 12-01-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 02:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
Quote:
https://www.verdenews.com/news/2018/...s-effect-nov1/

Dont like the trend of taxing people into oblivion going on in AZ. Prescott just hiked their only months. You start factoring this in with the crazy car registration fees and the slight savings in property taxes gets wiped out fast.
Quit your *****'en and get working. A lot of city employees are reaching 55 years of age and need to retire soon. They have vacations to take and gears to grease before they retire as well. Less mouth more back into it.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
My grandma used to say to those around her who complained, "better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Central Arizona is for most part still pretty affordable place to live withstanding cost of buying a house (people moving to Verde Valley with deeper pockets are changing the landscape, but hopefully it will never become so out of control whereby long time locals can no longer afford to live there. I heard some complaining this was already starting to happen the last years before I left for Atlanta area. June of this year I left Cottonwood for suburbs of Atlanta as parents are very fragile. With only my sister to do stuff for parents, increasingly felt terrible guilt not being around to help out. Over sixteen years lived in Camp Verde, Clarkdale, Cottonwood and for a year in Prescott. I say to my Central Arizona friends I left behind, "count your blessings" as you live in a good place, especially good place for older folks. I so much miss the lighter traffic, views of open spaces, dryer climate and affordability for most essentials like groceries and such. The CATS shuttles, the Verde Valley Medical Center, the Recreation Center, the Verde River, Dead horse, and proximity to other towns in region was a plus. The Atlanta suburbs, I don't really need to tell you probably, is a grossly congested place with poor air quality, drippy humidity, roaches everywhere no matter how clean one keeps their home and much higher cost of living for most everything. I lived in Atlanta area in mid-to-late 1970's and what has changed since then is tragic and jaw-dropping. I only hope that the Verde Valley does not become similarly congested in another ten to twenty years. My late wife and I used to visit Sedona for a weekend occasionally back in the 1980's when the worst intrusion was people handing out timeshare flyers to tourists. Back then we felt like Sedona had a small town vibe. Sedona of course still has the red rocks and nice hiking trails, but the small town vibe has mostly evaporated. Sedona traffic has at least tripled since the eighties. The main drag through Sedona has become junky looking with signage everywhere. The last five years living in the Verde Valley seldom bothered going to Sedona, so sad was I with the degradations of a once nice place (I don't like the changes I've seen in Boise either btw). More than ever, (as with Grand Canyon) the colder months in Sedona are the time to visit when tourism thins out. Seen too many destination towns across US suffering a similar fate. No one can stop population growth, but be thankful for what you have in Verde Valley, because years from now much may change. Hope not, but it's changing so fast in so many areas. If my parents were to predecease me and I am able, I would be happy to return to Central Arizona. As long as the soon to come new Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks don't become a flood of other corporate stores choking the town. Many of us remember what Prescott Valley once was like and what happened there (still nice place to retire though compared to suburbs of Atlanta or similar mess).
Good post, but you might add some paragraph break to read it more read able.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 PM

225 posts, read 144,178 times
My posts tend to be long. Understand how some find my poor composition irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona