Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 03:15 PM

20 posts, read 38,211 times

Advertisements

OP here: Thanks so much for the feedback! After my initial post we purchased a stunning house in West Sedona closing in a few days. Custom designed, close to the shops on 89A, library etc. Now looking forward to space, serenity, views (of course) and as an astronomer and astrophotographer - dark skies!

Still impressed at the value of Sedona compared to our previous house in the Bay Area. (A hyper-expensive bubble) We get three times the house for half the cost. Our property taxes were previously over $17,000 a year. In Sedona, just $7,000. Though we have bought our future home rather than an investment, given that few additional houses can ever be built there, our sense is that supply and demand will always make it desirable.

Also compared to the San Francisco Bay Area, Sedona is a much more "central" base for trips to neighboring states. Even the drive to Phoenix is the same time I spent commuting 1-way every day From PHX we plan to spend a few months a year in the UK where we also have a place. In addition we have a small RV to visit Southern California where we lived before moving to the Bay Area. The location is important for us as excepting OR/WA, anywhere else outside CA from the Bay Area is an over 12-hours drive to get somewhere interesting and we want to do more exploration of the western and central states as I semi-retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatone View Post
OP here: Thanks so much for the feedback! After my initial post we purchased a stunning house in West Sedona closing in a few days. Custom designed, close to the shops on 89A, library etc. Now looking forward to space, serenity, views (of course) and as an astronomer and astrophotographer - dark skies!
Congratulations on your about-to-close purchase. That was quick!

Did any of the furniture convey with the house? There are (or were) a couple of furniture stores, one in the VOC and another near 89A but not a lot of choice from what I found.

Have fun with your new place.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:19 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:

Still impressed at the value of Sedona compared to our previous house in the Bay Area. (A hyper-expensive bubble) We get three times the house for half the cost. Our property taxes were previously over $17,000 a year. In Sedona, just $7,000. Though we have bought our future home rather than an investment, given that few additional houses can ever be built there, our sense is that supply and demand will always make it desirable.

Also compared to the San Francisco Bay Area, Sedona is a much more "central" base for trips to neighboring states. Even the drive to Phoenix is the same time I spent commuting 1-way every day From PHX we plan to spend a few months a year in the UK where we also have a place. In addition we have a small RV to visit Southern California where we lived before moving to the Bay Area. The location is important for us as excepting OR/WA, anywhere else outside CA from the Bay Area is an over 12-hours drive to get somewhere interesting and we want to do more exploration of the western and central states as I semi-retire.
While in the past, your only posts (all 12) have been in threads you started, I hope you will return here and tell us how you enjoy living in Sedona.

We're very interested in the area, ourselves, though as a night owl, it seems like Arizona is on a different schedule than I am.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
While in the past, your only posts (all 12) have been in threads you started, I hope you will return here and tell us how you enjoy living in Sedona.

We're very interested in the area, ourselves, though as a night owl, it seems like Arizona is on a different schedule than I am.

Because AZ doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time or some other reason?

If you do end up in Sedona, I'd be happy to buy you a cold adult beverage sometime. I love it there.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:50 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
Quote:

You got that right, I moved from Toronto and it took years for me to adjust but now I'm just like them, early to bed and early to rise. In the summer you have to be if you want to set foot outside for anything.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Because AZ doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time or some other reason?

If you do end up in Sedona, I'd be happy to buy you a cold adult beverage sometime. I love it there.
Yes, it's because AZ doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time, which we look forward to every year. I have been a night owl my entire life aside from the years I had to work regular work hours. I love longer days, especially enjoy light in the evening so much, and since I will never again be an early riser, I know I would get much less outdoor light, which would be a bummer.

I suppose the reason for no DST in AZ is linked to the extreme heat later in the day, so people want to get out early before it gets hot, but that's just my assumption.

As for the offer of a cold adult beverage in Sedona, I accept, thank you.

Are you an early riser by nature, or was it an adjustment for you?

Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:

Sedona closes early, even for me. Town is dead like at 9pm.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-31-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Congratulations on your about-to-close purchase. That was quick!

Did any of the furniture convey with the house? There are (or were) a couple of furniture stores, one in the VOC and another near 89A but not a lot of choice from what I found.

Have fun with your new place.
Yes got a significant amount of the furniture included as part of the deal. Apparently thats not uncommon in higher end Sedona home sales.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:

Yes I would be happy to keep engaged in this forum. Really appreciated the insight gleaned from it!

Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yes I would be happy to keep engaged in this forum. Really appreciated the insight gleaned from it!
Great. Glad you'll come back. I hope you'll be very happy in your new home. Lots of neat furniture included? I like the sound of that. Was it originally part of the deal (in the listing) or was it only included upon your request in your purchase offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona