Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 04:07 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to throw out some Kudos to the Cornville/Cottonwood area. We just spent the weekend up there (in the rain) at my wife's suggestion to try out some of the local wineries. Now, I have lived in AZ for 30+ years and didn't even realize we HAD wineries in the Verde Valley. I knew about the ones down in Santa Cruz county (Sonoita/Elgin area) so I guess I hadn't been paying attention.

Anyway...we hit 4 up there, Alcantara, Page Springs Cellars, Oak Creek Vinyards and Javelina Leap Vinyard. While some of the wines were not my taste and some others were lacking the variety of different grapes, overall it was a great time trying wines that I normally wouldn't select. We even came home with a few bottles.

It probably would have been more enjoyable if it hadn't been raining and we were able to figure out how to avoid the wine tour buses...but if you like wine and haven't been to any of these wineries...it is definitely worth your time.

Also, the Margherita pizza at Page Springs is AMAZING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 11:40 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Once established, wine grapes seem to do well here at the higher elevations, like Cottonwood at aprox. 3,300 ft, and even over here in in Kingman in NW AZ at 3,500 ft. Though some of the Pinots seem to be a bit less hardy in the summer heat and mail order via Fairhaven Wineries in TX seems to be a good source for SW heat tolerant wine grapes for those wishing to plant their own. Planted several varieties after relocating from Eastern WA State and NorCal where I used to have small vineyards, and they seem to be quite happy, but next year will have a go at bottling some of 'em.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:14 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
I would imagine that Arizona wines go well with Buffalo wings and pizza.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:36 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Old Town Cottonwood is full of wine tasting places, with olive oil and Scotch tasting places thrown in as well. We even have a "Vineyards" housing development being built.

If you want pizza though go to Bocce in Old Town Cottonwood, you can't beat it!

Old 03-05-2020, 02:19 PM

306 posts, read 336,208 times
Maynard James Keenan has a winery in Jerome. Merkin I think it's called (hilarious). Just saw it on Sammy Hagar's show.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:13 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Old Town Cottonwood is full of wine tasting places, with olive oil and Scotch tasting places thrown in as well. We even have a "Vineyards" housing development being built.

If you want pizza though go to Bocce in Old Town Cottonwood, you can't beat it!
We had breakfast at Pepe's Cafe, pretty decent little place. The food reminded me of Mike and Rhonda's in Flagstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona