Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,128 times

Advertisements

We wanted to find out the pros and cons of living in Kachina (south of Flagstaff). Which schools do kids attend? Is there much crime? Who takes care of crimes, Flagstaff police or? What do homes sell for? If we were thinking of building, is there any land available, and who do we contact for permits, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:51 PM

398 posts, read 818,802 times
Lived in Kachina Village for 5 years. One of the worse things was the dirt roads, but they have now paved them. Homeowners were assessed fees for paving...so that is done.
One of the best things is Kachina has its own water system. Their own water company, sewer system, and reclamation water which is a wonderful wetlands area. No other water or springs around Flagstaff other than Lake Mary. The water is delicious and you pay for sewer and water monthly and cheaply.
There are different areas of Kachina. Some have all modular homes and some have nice houses. I think the little real estate company was Kachina Village Realtors. (or any realty in Flag). Watch out for areas along the wash as it can flood onto the little canyon on the back side of Kachina, which is also a wonderful hiking spot.
It is outside of Flagstaff city limits and is governed by Coconino County. Children of all ages are bussed into school. There is occasionally some local crime, but no more or less than any normal place. Not perfect, but not crime ridden.
Cost of housing is much less than Flagstaff proper, but the nicer places are not cheap. Some modulars are still within a very reasonable range. All lots are very spacious and have pine trees. Coconino County would handle building permits and I think there are most likely lots aavailable. They have thinned the forest surrounding Kachina to help with fire danger.
hope this helps and good luck.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,914 times
Smile Kachina Village is Wonderful

My family started spending summers in Kachina Village when I was 6 years old, and now, 35 years later, we still go up there and love it!

My grandfather was a contractor and built a 4 bedroom home on a double lot (almost 1/2 an acre) and is now having to sell it due to my grandmother's respiratory illness. (Wonderful home if anyone is interested!)

There are homes there starting in the $100's and going up to almost $500,000. It is beautiful there, and elk come down from the mountains to graze in the meadows. It's such a short drive (7 miles) into Flagstaff, but you feel like you are out in the country, so for us it was perfect. My husband and I hope to buy a second home there someday.

Last edited by PhxHomeTeam; 07-16-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,892 times
I missed Kachina Village! Off which highway is it? We drove out on our way to Colorado and back again on our way home on I 40. It was beautiful going back especially several miles out. There was a meadow with yellow flowers in the area but I didnt know the name? When you say crime do you mean burglery, drugs or DUI types of crime?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM

398 posts, read 818,802 times
If you are on I 40 , you would exit off to I-17 going south to Phoenix. Kachina Village is 2 exits down. Sign says Kachina Village-Mountainaire. Kachina Village is partly visible from the interstate and is on the west side. If memory serves me correctly, I believe it is exit 333.
Crimes that were noteworthy while living there was one man shot his wife, one house had a meth lab, some one was creating a disturbance.....no burglaries or vagrants, or...It is a small community so when something happens most people of the community are aware of it. I felt very safe and comfortable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona