Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 07:57 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

We walk carefully... fill up trash bags from previous visitors...take amazing photos... leave only footprints...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 10:02 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Never thought about it from the perspective. Unfortunate there are so many digesting slobs abusing our beautiful national parks and forest.
And what perplexes me the most is those are the people that supposedly love and appreciate the land the most. Why would you sully an area that you value. Cant understand it.

I remember years ago going up into the white mountains for work one week following memorial day and I was appalled at what I saw. Trash all over the place, beer cans etc....The forest ranger for whom I was a contractor said that's the way it always is after a holiday weekend.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:03 PM

994 posts, read 968,591 times
Reopen tomorrow with Stage 2 restrictions.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:51 AM

849 posts, read 2,923,216 times
I think people are all too willing these days to give up their freedoms and accessibility to public lands and other things simply because the government tells them to. They will soon be shutting these places down in the sake of "climate change" one day, and to help reduce "carbon footprints", and I think people will all to quickly nod their heads and say "yes, I agree with that". Meanwhile, more and more of your freedoms are stripped away. The USFS needs to get out there and be allowed to do controlled burns, limit pine needle thatch and handle the forest vegetation like they should be doing, without environmental groups shutting them down at every turn. This is why California has the problems they have with brush fires. The undergrowth in California was horrendous when I left there 25 years ago, and it seems like nothing has changed. Shutting things down in anticipation of what a handful of irresponsible idiots may/may not do to exacerbate things is not the way to handle things. Allowing these kinds of Draconian controls on access to public lands and mindlessly agreeing with them allows overreach to continue. One day, when there is a 12 foot fence around all National Forests and it's surrounded by armed guards who will arrest you for trespassing, people will wonder stupidly, "how did we ever get to this point?"

Old 07-06-2021, 10:43 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Or, people are not responsible with their demands for "freedoms" so Daddy Government has to step in.

We were camping in CA for 4th of July. As it is a tinderbox right now, of course no fireworks. A nice safe lighted boat event was done instead. You know, so we don't all die in a fire.

But of course, some idiots in the area were setting off aerial fireworks and shooting guns.

So no, it is not the government ruining it, it is stupid people.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-06-2021, 11:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I think people are all too willing these days to give up their freedoms and accessibility to public lands and other things simply because the government tells them to. They will soon be shutting these places down in the sake of "climate change" one day, and to help reduce "carbon footprints", and I think people will all to quickly nod their heads and say "yes, I agree with that". Meanwhile, more and more of your freedoms are stripped away. The USFS needs to get out there and be allowed to do controlled burns, limit pine needle thatch and handle the forest vegetation like they should be doing, without environmental groups shutting them down at every turn. This is why California has the problems they have with brush fires. The undergrowth in California was horrendous when I left there 25 years ago, and it seems like nothing has changed. Shutting things down in anticipation of what a handful of irresponsible idiots may/may not do to exacerbate things is not the way to handle things. Allowing these kinds of Draconian controls on access to public lands and mindlessly agreeing with them allows overreach to continue. One day, when there is a 12 foot fence around all National Forests and it's surrounded by armed guards who will arrest you for trespassing, people will wonder stupidly, "how did we ever get to this point?"
They do that in Arizona, but then again Arizona is not California. I thank God for that.

The draconian controls at least in Arizona are only for a few months during fire season. We've got the entire rest of the year to do pretty much as we want as long as we don't destroy our natural environment or trash the place. We have laws in place that address those issues. I have no problems with those laws.

It's not a matter of losing personal freedoms with regards to protecting the awesome beauty of the Great American Southwest or anywhere else for that matter. Unfortunately there are far too many careless slobs amongst us. Why people would want to live in a litter strewn pig sty is beyond me? Or throw their trash and cigarette butts out the window along our highways. When we leave our garbage strewn all over the place or carelessly start fires, that's not freedom. That's reckless disregard of our surroundings. Our nations natural beauty should remain intact for all of us to enjoy instead of permitting careless slobs to ruin it for us all.

It's really not that difficult to bring your garbage home with you and then throw it out. If you carried it it you can just as easily carry it out.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-06-2021 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-06-2021, 11:52 PM

962 posts, read 469,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
It's really not that difficult to bring your garbage home with you and then throw it out. If you carried it it you can just as easily carry it out.

Now you want to restrict our freedom to litter and be careless with fire. It's public land, so that makes me part owner and I'll burn it if I want to.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:48 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Now you want to restrict our freedom to litter and be careless with fire. It's public land, so that makes me part owner and I'll burn it if I want to.
And of course you'll be there to help put that fire out, too, right?

(I'm hoping you were being sarcastic.)

RM

Old 07-07-2021, 08:01 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Hoping you were being sarcastic too lol

Old 07-07-2021, 09:20 AM

962 posts, read 469,724 times
Should have spelled it "free-dumb."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona