Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,459 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a good idea about all there is to do in Flagstaff during the summer but I am the one in my family who does not ski or snow board. What is there to do during the winter for someone like me? Im assuming it is too icy to do hiking/biking/walking so I am not sure what that leaves.

Also I have read so much about Bugs like Scorpions Oh MYYYY. WHat kind of bugs are prevalent in N. Arizona cities like Flag??? We got spoiled with only friendly type spiders of the NW.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 03:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Hello,

I have a good idea about all there is to do in Flagstaff during the summer but I am the one in my family who does not ski or snow board. What is there to do during the winter for someone like me? Im assuming it is too icy to do hiking/biking/walking so I am not sure what that leaves.

Also I have read so much about Bugs like Scorpions Oh MYYYY. WHat kind of bugs are prevalent in N. Arizona cities like Flag??? We got spoiled with only friendly type spiders of the NW.

Thanks
There are several species of scorpions in the Flagstaff area, only one is potentially dangerous (Centruroides exilicauda). There are also many rattlesnakes and a healthy black widow population, so just watch where you put your hands and feet. Hope this helps!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:29 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,664 times
It's not too icy at 6000 feet to hike/bike/walk. The mountains outside of town are over 12000 feet tall so there you will find plenty of ice.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There are several species of scorpions in the Flagstaff area, only one is potentially dangerous (Centruroides exilicauda). There are also many rattlesnakes and a healthy black widow population, so just watch where you put your hands and feet. Hope this helps!
Ughhhh Ok We will spray. Is spraying at the beginning of the bug season regular like it was in Florida? What is the season?

I have a small dog, (my baby). Do you get a lot of snakes that will mosey into the back yard or are they mostly in the woods?

I am glad hiking is fine for winter, do you have suggestions for a hike for those of us who are not... lets say, a vision of fitness?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 AM

398 posts, read 818,728 times
You expressed interest in the Kachina Village area. There is a lovely little canyon on the back side of Kachina that is good for walking, especially with the dog. A lot of times there is some water running in the canyon and dogs do not have to be leashed.
Buffalo park on the north side of Flagstaff (right in town) is a good place also...would want a leash for the dog.
These are just two of numerous places to go for a good walk.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 AM

398 posts, read 818,728 times
Meant to add that in many years in and around Flagstaff, I never once saw a scorpion.
Maybe saw one snake while hiking. Black widows, of course, can be around. Have never lived anywhere where there weren't black widows.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I have a small dog, (my baby). Do you get a lot of snakes that will mosey into the back yard or are they mostly in the woods?
Snakes will mosey anywhere they please. Many people find them in their yards, many people dont, it all depends.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 PM

Those darned moseying snakes! I will have to look for a real fended in yard but they just go into the ground right? We shot them in Florida ... they were huge which is good cause you saw them quicker but bad because they were so HUGE. I had heard about Kachina Village on here a little Im glad to hear nice things about it. I also heard about Walnut Hills from a woman at a school. Trying to get a realtor who also helps with rentals.

BTW cant snakes be less seen since there is not much grass in the yards? and off subject...
How is the single scene there for someone in their late 30's?
Thanks... you guys are wonderful!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Those darned moseying snakes! I will have to look for a real fended in yard but they just go into the ground right? We shot them in Florida ... they were huge which is good cause you saw them quicker but bad because they were so HUGE. I had heard about Kachina Village on here a little Im glad to hear nice things about it. I also heard about Walnut Hills from a woman at a school. Trying to get a realtor who also helps with rentals.

BTW cant snakes be less seen since there is not much grass in the yards? and off subject...
How is the single scene there for someone in their late 30's?
Thanks... you guys are wonderful!
Please, leave the snakes alone, they wont bother you unless you bother them. Even the venomous species are absolutely beneficial in regards to keeping disease-spreading rodents under control. Call Animal Control to pick them up instead of shooting them, its free.

Grass or not, snakes are VERY hard to see, especially when theyre sitting stationary. Ive literally almost stepped on them because they blend in very well with their surroundings. If youre out and about, its absolutely wise to watch your every step, snakes are very cryptic, sometimes creepily so (even to a snake lover like myself).

To help prove my point, I love to offer these as a little "fun". FIND THE SNAKE:
VenomousReptiles.org Libraries

VenomousReptiles.org Libraries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona