Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminole24 View Post
******moving to Florida to teach by MYSELF. AKA moving by myself to teach (as in the occupation of TEACHING) in Florida. Im sorry you had a difficult time distinguishing my slang...
No need to apologize. One positive about Lakeland will be the cheaper rent vs what you would pay in the Orlando market and there's some pretty nice golf courses around Lakeland too. Good luck on your new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

53 posts, read 155,714 times
Sorry just saw this post, I hope I'm not too late, DON'T DO IT!! RUN! NEVER COME BACK!

in all seriousness... Lakeland Yankee as usual is on top of things giving a very fair and unbiased look to the cons and "pros" of Lakeland.

Drug infestation, backwards, backwards people, ignorance, racism from any and all people (white, black, hispanic, indian, middle eastern, etc), everybody here has a "me first" attitude, you get "dirty looks" if you turn the aisle at a grocery store and somebody else has also turned the aisle at the same time. Don't bother saying "excuse me", it doesn't work. Trust me I have given up. Someone did hold the door open for me the other day, and I had to fight the urge to thank him and shake his hand. Because common courtesies just do not exist here.

I've lived in a couple other states before moving here, so I have seen other ways of life. People who are raised here simply put, just do not know any better. They don't even realize there's a problem.

One of the other "pros" to living here as a male, is that you get to always be caught on the latest trends in male boxers. Because you see them all the time. It's like your always in a male boxer fashion show.

I could go on and on, and yes it is somewhat therapeutic, but really I would not suggest moving here. There are some nice people, there is always an exception to every rule when it comes to people. But I can't possibly see how the good outweighs the bad, and if someone tells you it does, they are more than likely in denial, or just they do not expect to get much out of life in America.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM

89 posts, read 189,167 times
Default Lakeland

(Minus Florida) has it right. Lakeland is not the place you want to live if you're looking for night life and beaches.

How did you come up with Lakeland for a place to live. First of all there are no jobs to be had. I admit I have relatives living there. My sister moved to Lakeland because her husbands job relocated. It is pretty and a tree sanctuary. But Geezzzzzzzzz can everyone pick up the pace a little.

The joke you hear about Lakeland is: What do you get when you have a room full of Lakelanders? A full set of teeth. If you weigh over 250 lbs you will fit in. Beware of the creatures that come out at night from Green Swamp and go to Walmart. Scary....
Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM

213 posts, read 660,249 times
seminole24
most of what everyone on here has said is true, you will do ok in lakeland on a teachers salary..(my husband works for the school district, it is ok not the greatest).. as for apartments i'd try audubon oaks, its north lakeland, or village at lake highlands, south lakeland... stay away from anything near the combee rd area or crystal lake area, way to high in crime. there is huntington at sundance, its south lakeland... they are reasonable. south lakeland is better for the most part over north lakeland. be prepared though, crime is high here , don't leave your doors unlocked etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times
Quote:
im a 22 year old single male moving to lakeland, florida to teach by self.
Quote:
Im sorry you had a difficult time distinguishing my slang.
Misplaced modifiers are confused, but (they are) not slang.

A properly placed modifier would have read:

"I'm a 22 year old single male moving by myself to Lakeland, Florida to teach" if you wanted to express that you were moving without anyone's help.

or

"I'm a 22 year old single male moving to Lakeland, Florida by myself to teach" if you wanted to express that nobody else was moving with you.

but to say "I'm a 22 year old single male moving to Lakeland, Florida to teach by self" simply expresses one too many bong hits.

No prob dewd, I'm just chillaxin. How's my slang?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 13,832 times
Where will you be teaching?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Nightlife?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 PM

24 posts, read 52,889 times
We are retired people who live west of Boynton Beach on the east coast in Palm Beach County. We have family in the Tampa Bay area and will eventually move to that area. Lakeland interests me since the home prices, insurance and taxes seem to be much lower than PB County. Also we pay a $333. per month HOA fee that I would like to lower or get rid of. We'll be visiting Lakeland soon to get an idea of how the land lays, so to speak. I very much appreciate the comments on the forum since moving is a big thing for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida