Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leao2u View Post
I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate your responses… My last question is if I land the position in the WPB area, should I try to find a place there OR north (Jupiter) or south (Boca) of there. I was in the WPB area last week, and it felt safe, but I did not venture into the outskirts that you spoke of.

The Jupiter area seemed like a good investment area with lots of potential to grow, but I'm not familiar with the lifestyle.
I personally cannot answer the specifics about Jupiter(im WAY south) but I know it is at least a decent community to live in and your commute will be MUCH better than from Boca Raton.

Palm Beach Gardens is a nice community though, but once again, I do not know many specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
orange county,ca is a little more conservative than los angeles but even then my girlfriend was living with a monogamous gay couple in laguna hills for years before i met her and she moved in with me.

i havent been over to weston yet, i still need to check that place out. i know nothing about it.
alot of people in LA dont despise orange county although they may hate the TV show. people over there are pretty indifferent between san diego, san francisco, LA and orange county because it doesnt really feel that different between the various cities. people may be a little more hippie-ish up north and a little more surfer-ish in san diego or by the LA coastline but i never really even thought of the differences when i lived there. everyones trying to be an individual and theres so much variety that nothing surprises you.
ive talked to new yorkers who ive been able to relate with on aspects of that although it sounds even more developed in new york. the difference i see between personalities though is that a new yorker if they dont like you will be upfront about it where someone from california will be nice to your face but avoid you.
also whats nice about california in general is theres so many types of people that you can easily EASILY find friends. just go to any social gathering and youll pickup a few and there are all kinds of social gatherings for anything and everything.
i can go to a meeting about carnivorous plants and meet 35-45 people into it just in LA. theres even more in the SF bay area. i know of maybe 4 in south florida and maybe 10 in the whole state.
It is a bit more socially developed if you live in Brooklyn/Queens/Manhattan, but I DID live in suburbia in my time up there. One of the things I do not like about here is how you mentioned there are many different types of personalities in Cali (And I know NY from experience). Down here, you do not really have as many intellectuals and individualism is not huge here. In some areas down here it is less like that than others (I think it depends on how many transplants from other parts of the U.S,etc there), but that fake, consumeristic attitude is ALWAYS present here.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM

ANYWAY, yeah, check out Palm Beach Gardens, it is a nice community and maybe PBCboy can step in here with more details, since he lives closer than I do.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:13 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Palm Beach Gardens is a very high class city to live in. The quality of life there is high and there is virtually no crime. The local mall, 'The Gardens' is a good size and they just built a high end shopping center (though I'm not quite sure if it's completely finished yet, most of the shoppes are open though). If you ever get bored you can head out to downtown WPB (City Place). Palm Beach Gardens is even better than Boca Raton in many aspects - it's newer and cleaner looking, and even higher class That makes it out of the price range for most normal people though.

Jupiter is another great place to live. Don't think that means you can get a good house for a bargain, though, because although Jupiter is one of the safest cities in PBC the lower class neighborhoods are still not good places to live (while there's not many gangs in the city that is where they come from). If you buy a nice house in Jupiter though you won't experience any crime and you'll enjoy yourself, and the people seemed to be friendly there (much more so than in the suburban western communities).

Old 06-21-2007, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 64,894 times
PBCboy, can you tell me if Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter (or any of the area between the two locations) would be a better location for a single guy or young family -- ('may' be getting engaged in the near future)? Also, is there a decent nightlife in the two locations? Lastly, how would you compare the cultural/social climates?

Also, I've heard Wellington is nice but is more of a family atmosphere and getting pretty crowded.

Thanks for any info provided!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 AM

376 posts, read 1,866,935 times
Wellington is def very family oriented, nice but I think kind of boring. Boca may be a bit more happening that Palm Beach Gardens. I am not too familiar with Palm Beach gardens.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leao2u View Post
PBCboy, can you tell me if Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter (or any of the area between the two locations) would be a better location for a single guy or young family -- ('may' be getting engaged in the near future)? Also, is there a decent nightlife in the two locations? Lastly, how would you compare the cultural/social climates?

Also, I've heard Wellington is nice but is more of a family atmosphere and getting pretty crowded.

Thanks for any info provided!
You can raise a family in both areas or be single and still be happy there. Jupiter might be better for families, but Palm Beach Gardens is a nicer area overall. Another poster meantioned Wellington, but that is a bit too far out west for my taste (and I've noticed many people in Western communities acting snobish and jerky - the people in Jupiter are much more friendly). Wellington is very built up and conjested now as well. For clubs you can see what West Palm Beach has to offer, but I should warn you that many are sleezy and are only there for you to avoid.

As for Palm Beach Gardens vs Boca Raton, I would say Palm Beach Gardens is even nicer than Boca. It's cleaner, newer looking, and has most of the stuff you'd have in Boca. Plus, in Palm Beach Gardens, I've met many international people from Europe. I've met friendly people from places like the U.K., Germany, etc. because there is a huge golf (PGA) thing up there and people compete from all over the world to play. It's just a happy, safe, great place to live, but it's very costly too.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 64,894 times
Thanks so much for that info! Last question 2 questions --- 1. PBG vs Jupiter on costs of living?

2. How would PBG & Jupiter be for a young professional/classy "Interracial" couple? (I'm white and she's black. I'll be moving down for sure, but she is at a crossroads right now... We'll be visiting this summer though).

Again, thank you all so much for all the great input!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Although I can not really say much about up there (although Boca and PB Gardens are very "white" communities), I CAN tell you that interracial is NO issue in Broward County. Now that you add the family element though, the schools are crap down here(Broward) except in very boring family-ish communities like the one I am located in. Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington (part of it), and Jupiter have good school districts.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM

Where I live (in PBC) there are interacial couples (then again the anglo population is very small where I live) and I don't think it'll be that big of a deal in those cities.In areas like Loxahatchee, on the other hand, which is a redneck area out west, it would be a huge problem, and probably in the next county (Martin County).

The population in PBG, Jupiter, and Boca are all vastly anglo but they're not the redneck kind that would have a huge problem with this.

Oh, and as for the cost of living, PBG is more expensive and classy than Jupiter, but Jupiter still has very, very nice areas to live in. Palm Beach Gardens is more upper class white folk while Jupiter is more suburban, but then again I don't like describing them as suburban because to me most of the people that live in the western suburbs are jerks and they seem nicer in Jupiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida