Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times

Advertisements

thanks macguy, i have a better understanding of how the numbers work out now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:33 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
She says a few posts up what she did. I tried to do something similar, the problem was I had already renewed my policy so I have to wait a year before I can make a change. I would not expect to see the kind of reduction she saw but, I just had a policy renew on another place I have and was shocked to see how much it did go down. So at renewal time many will see some reductions and before renewing see if there are some changes you can make,
Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,411 times
I own a home in Broward county and have looked at a number of properties with the "Super-Exemption" calculator onthe BCPA website ([url=http://www.bcpa.net]Broward County Property Appraiser's Network. Assuming that the calculations are correct, it appears that this plan is not good for any but those residents who have recently purchased homes $400k.

Taking the calculations out over the next 25 years, with the loss of the 3% cap on growth in taxable value shows that most people will soon be paying much more in taxes than they presently do. Most of us will see the increase right away. Losing the cap on increase in taxable value is a huge loss!

Unless I am missing something, this exemption is "super" only in the rate at which it escalates property taxes. And yet, nearly 60% of voters presently plan to vote for this exemption. Is Broward County unique or are the comparisons similar in other counties? The plan does not address portability or the fact that many homeowners are stuck in their present homes because of the low taxes they presently pay, a feature they lose if they move, even if they down-size!

Anyone who plans to vote for this either has recently purchased an expensive home or is uninformed! Please look into the long term effects of this plan n your home. Our county website has a calculator that takes it out 25 years and at the end of the road, nobody is a winner. We need to stop taxing on purchase prices and consider a sales tax.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:28 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free00byrd View Post
I own a home in Broward county and have looked at a number of properties with the "Super-Exemption" calculator onthe BCPA website ([url=http://www.bcpa.net]Broward County Property Appraiser's Network. Assuming that the calculations are correct, it appears that this plan is not good for any but those residents who have recently purchased homes $400k.

Taking the calculations out over the next 25 years, with the loss of the 3% cap on growth in taxable value shows that most people will soon be paying much more in taxes than they presently do. Most of us will see the increase right away. Losing the cap on increase in taxable value is a huge loss!

Unless I am missing something, this exemption is "super" only in the rate at which it escalates property taxes. And yet, nearly 60% of voters presently plan to vote for this exemption. Is Broward County unique or are the comparisons similar in other counties? The plan does not address portability or the fact that many homeowners are stuck in their present homes because of the low taxes they presently pay, a feature they lose if they move, even if they down-size!

Anyone who plans to vote for this either has recently purchased an expensive home or is uninformed! Please look into the long term effects of this plan n your home. Our county website has a calculator that takes it out 25 years and at the end of the road, nobody is a winner. We need to stop taxing on purchase prices and consider a sales tax.
What you are missing is the fact that taxes don't really go up much if at all, property values do. In Broward they have gone down over the last few years. All that happened was real-estate went nuts and was taxed accordingly. Unless you think yours or other houses are going to go up in value like 400% like just happened recently your taxes will remain the same and even go down for years to come. Who cares about a 25 year projection, most people move around every 7 years.

The SOH was meant to benefit people who were retired and plan to die in their houses but the average home owner would be better off with the super deduction because they don't get trapped in their house and they can also afford more house when they do buy. Finally you will be able to move up to a better house like was always the case in the past. Not, if "I sell my house I can't even afford one as good". That is a$$ backwards and not the way it is supposed to be.

People are supposed to be able to better their lives not be trapped. It is an individual thing but 25 years, who make plans like that. Besides that is all BS speculation, this is real and today. You want the freedom to move if you want and live your life and improve your life. People right now are trapped in their houses, they can't even down size if they want to much less move up.

Hell, the way it is right now, you can't even do an addition or maybe add a pool to your house because it will effect your tax status and trigger a reassessment. People live is fear of, "I might lose my SOH". Better not have another kid and need an extra bedroom. People are so trapped in their houses right now it is ridiculous. I would say anyone who doesn't vote for it truly is uninformed. The benefits are huge no doubt about it.

Last edited by macguy; 07-21-2007 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
If I understand this correctly, even if this passes, you can still keep the SOH cap until you sell the home and buy another, is this correct? So anyone planning to stay in their current home can benefit from both. Please let me know if I have misunderstood this.

Also, what is to stop the counties from raising their millage to get more funds? I thought I read about that somewhere.

Florida needs services and infrastructure, so I hope this all turns out OK.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:08 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
By the time this comes up for a vote in January, we will have been in our house for 16 1/2 years. I'm quite sure SOH is still our best choice over the long haul since we don't have any plans to buy another home in Florida.

And we just received our State Farm Ins. renewal -- it went up another 20%. Still not as bad as lots of you pay, but I thought it was supposed to go down. Wrong again.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:12 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
If I am still here when the vote comes, I will NOT vote for it. I will be happy to stay with my 3%. My HOI has come down, property taxes are not high
under $1,400 a yr, so why change. If people came down here and bought $300,000 homes, then they can pay the taxes, I'm sure that they had a general idea of what the taxes would be, so now their all crying.......boo hoo
the taxes are sooo high, well, nobody told you to buy a $$$ home.

There are ways to reduce your HOI and be agressive about it, I did and I am happy with the results. If people want to pay $3,000 or higher in HOI they are fools, as I said I fought and got my HOI reduced to a fair level, if I can do it so can everyone else. People see $3,000 and say oh I have to pay this
and they do, well then they are fools, because they have a voice and can change it. Don't feel sorry for those that won't help themselves.

I still say with the super exemption if taxes are rolled back to 50% and the counties don't roll back on services, we're going to be up s**ts creek without a paddle. Messing with the homestead exemption I think in the long run we will get a sales tax or income tax. But that's just my opinion
I bet you this lady is expecting top dollar for her home though.

She says on one side of her face " If people came down here and bought $300,000 homes, then they can pay the taxes, I'm sure that they had a general idea of what the taxes would be, so now their all crying.......boo hoo taxes are sooo high, well, nobody told you to buy a $$$ home."

But on the other side of her face she would love to have someone come and pay her 300,000 for her home, I am sure that is what she thinks it's worth!!!
She most likely paid 150,000 for it.

This is a demonstration of selfishness at it's finest.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If I understand this correctly, even if this passes, you can still keep the SOH cap until you sell the home and buy another, is this correct? So anyone planning to stay in their current home can benefit from both. Please let me know if I have misunderstood this.

Also, what is to stop the counties from raising their millage to get more funds? I thought I read about that somewhere.

Oh the counties are already working out "fees" to take care of the property tax shortage. For instance, garbage collection fees are going up, higher fees on library book returns, and I think some counties are planning to increase their sewer/water rates. I don't understand why they can't cut some of their costs instead of slapping on more fees in direct opposition of what the state intended to happen -- ie, lower taxes!

Old 07-21-2007, 04:19 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

When they do do tax raises they will be shared by everybody. They often go by like 1/10 of mills and add little more then a few dollars to any one tax bill. The propaganda spin artists would like you to think they will go up thousands should the cities and counties need some money. Plus those raises are often voted on. It will streamline local governments and make them a little more accountable.

Right now they operate with blank checks and spend what ever they have and get their hands on. Make them start running our cities like a business and if they don't know how get people in there who do. Attend your local commission meetings and your would think they were playing Monopoly instead of talking about real money. They throw around millions like it is nothing. These bastards need to be put on a budget for a change. . I have no problem cutting the cash flow off, our cities run like money pits. Not a company that exists could survive if they operated like local government.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:28 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Taxes will be paid! Its the bottom line. I don't see why people think something will change. We can all see how the big HOI deal worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida