Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM

296 posts, read 228,522 times

Advertisements

Preferably,form commentators who have lived some time ( a year or more) in both cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Both are Floridian cities.
Both are adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean.
Both have the typical suburban planning just like most of America.
Both are American cities with populations under 8 million.
and the list can go on and on and on.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:46 PM

245 posts, read 662,675 times
Well, I lived in JAX for over 5 years and I've been in MIA just over 3 months........but these are my impressions....
JAX really isn't a FL city, it is more South GA.
DOwntown JAX lacks any identity and leadership. They do have their version of Bayside in JAX called The Landing, but it is a miserable failure and I would say over half of it is vacant.....They have their version of The People Mover, it's called The Skyway.............It is considered a complete failure, has next to nothing for ridership mostly because it does not connect any parts of the city together.

The homeless population in downtown JAX is OUT OF CONTROL....The have all of their homeless shelters located in the heart of their downtown and the homeless basically own downtown JAX. Believe me MIA you have a few homeless in your downtown like every large city but nothing like JAX

I'm not trying to trash JAX. It is very aggrevating. The city has allot of potential just has never seemed to find it's way.

I am very happy with my move to MIA! I think this place has a tremendous amount to offer

Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
I've never been to Jacksonville despite living my entire life in Florida (until last month). I'm interested to hear what people think of it. I have always assumed it was like any other big Florida city like Miami, Tampa, or Orlando.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
The homeless population in downtown JAX is OUT OF CONTROL....The have all of their homeless shelters located in the heart of their downtown and the homeless basically own downtown JAX. Believe me MIA you have a few homeless in your downtown like every large city but nothing like JAX
I'm not that familiar with Jax but I agree with that statement. I have never seen a city with so many homeless in the same area. Downtown Jacksonville is a very scary place, not like Miami's is that great either but Jacksonville's downtown has a huge amount of homeless people.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM

245 posts, read 662,675 times
I travel to Orlando and Tampa and live in MIA and JAX is nothing like them.....It is interestingly the largest city (sq miles) because it has incorporated the entire county of Duval into the city. Once you hit the "City Limits" you have to drive another 30 min just to see the first building. Lots of surburban sprawl, a downtown over run by homeless and almost always listed as one of Florida's deadliest cities for violent crimes.........no real tourism to speak of.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM

58 posts, read 117,544 times
Quote:
Well, I lived in JAX for over 5 years and I've been in MIA just over 3 months........but these are my impressions....
JAX really isn't a FL city, it is more South GA.
DOwntown JAX lacks any identity and leadership. They do have their version of Bayside in JAX called The Landing, but it is a miserable failure and I would say over half of it is vacant.....They have their version of The People Mover, it's called The Skyway.............It is considered a complete failure, has next to nothing for ridership mostly because it does not connect any parts of the city together.

I'm not trying to trash JAX. It is very aggrevating. The city has allot of potential just has never seemed to find it's way.

I am very happy with my move to MIA! I think this place has a tremendous amount to offer
Having lived in Jax for two years and now moving back to S. FL(Miami) I have to agree with everything that you have said. I could say a few more things about the mentality of the people here, but I won't because we were asked to keep it polite & objective. However, I will re-iterate what you said that, Jax is more South GA, than FL. So true! I am moving back this weekend and can't wait!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I've never been to Jacksonville despite living my entire life in Florida (until last month). I'm interested to hear what people think of it. I have always assumed it was like any other big Florida city like Miami, Tampa, or Orlando.
It is absolutley not.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I'm not that familiar with Jax but I agree with that statement. I have never seen a city with so many homeless in the same area. Downtown Jacksonville is a very scary place, not like Miami's is that great either but Jacksonville's downtown has a huge amount of homeless people.

Yes, it does. It's not so much scary as it is depressing......

Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I travel to Orlando and Tampa and live in MIA and JAX is nothing like them.....It is interestingly the largest city (sq miles) because it has incorporated the entire county of Duval into the city. Once you hit the "City Limits" you have to drive another 30 min just to see the first building. Lots of surburban sprawl, a downtown over run by homeless and almost always listed as one of Florida's deadliest cities for violent crimes.........no real tourism to speak of.
Once again, I must agree with everything you have said. You've hit it dead on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida