Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
sometimes the whole picture cannot be made public, it would serve no purpose to the population and expose strengths and weaknesses unnecessarily.
Jack Nicholson said it perfectly. "the truth? you can't handle the truth"
I can say that much of the public infrastructure here is not secure and is vulnerable, I could show you weaknesses just about everywhere, and our enemies who are no fools see those weaknesess too.

as to what a viable target would be is, ha if anyone knew, it wouldn't be viable, eh?

Ah A few good men!!!! As a military member is stupid went power clouds the head of leaders and makes decision on their own believes without considering the actual military law. Yep, he was found guilty ....

Great movie ---poor leader....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/aa/Few_good_men_ver2.jpg/200px-Few_good_men_ver2.jpg (broken link)

Jessep: You want answers?

Kaffee I think I'm entitled to them.

Jessep: You want answers?

Kaffee: I want the truth!

Jessep: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Kaffee: Did you order the code red?

Jessep: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Kaffee: Did you order the code red?

Jessep: You're goddamn right I did!! .

Last edited by sunrico90; 07-15-2007 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:23 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
If we get a terror attack we deal with it. Thats what we do! If we can't stop it. We deal with it thats all we can do.
But did anyone think about an attack economically? Just a thought.

Last edited by firemed; 07-15-2007 at 08:36 PM..

Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
If we get a terror attack we deal with it. Thats what we do! If we can't stop it. We deal with it thats all we can do.
This will impact all type of industries and could stop the production and availability of goods....

Old 07-15-2007, 09:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
When one of your friends of loved ones gets blown to bits in a senseless attack we'll see how cavalier you are about it

Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
When one of your friends of loved ones gets blown to bits in a senseless attack we'll see how cavalier you are about it
Want to hunt down a terrorist? Go to any bar at closing time, they are filing out and getting behind the wheels of cars and murdering people by the thousands each year. Terrorists would be hard pressed to kill as many as are killed every day through medical malpractice. Safety is an illusion we like to enjoy but it is just that. All we can do is go about our lives.

If we really dwelled on the dangers we face every day we would never leave our houses. The odds are very good that someone who read this board today will be dead tomorrow. Terrorists are the least of our problems and if they want to wreak havoc there is not much we could do about it. I would say there are not as many terrorists as they would lead us to believe. But then again, it doesn't take many.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Want to hunt down a terrorist? Go to any bar at closing time, they are filing out and getting behind the wheels of cars and murdering people by the thousands each year. Terrorists would be hard pressed to kill as many as are killed every day through medical malpractice. Safety is an illusion we like to enjoy but it is just that. All we can do is go about our lives.

If we really dwelled on the dangers we face every day we would never leave our houses. The odds are very good that someone who read this board today will be dead tomorrow. Terrorists are the least of our problems and if they want to wreak havoc there is not much we could do about it. I would say there are not as many terrorists as they would lead us to believe. But then again, it doesn't take many.
it only takes a handful of crazies to do major damage, and they are thinking in ways that you can't even begin to imagine, the laissez-faire attitude that has become popular will be our demise. You are dealing with an enemy that unlike most people does not have a 30 second attention span, the enemy does not think short term, short term to them is years, decades and centuries. If people want to plant their heads in the ground and think that all is ok, we are in for many years of turmoil

Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This will impact all type of industries and could stop the production and availability of goods....
since some are being creative about how external forces can cause damage to us, what if the chinese government decides to suspend all shippings to the US! what will happen? have you looked at labels when you purchase clothes, elecronics,..etc

Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
it only takes a handful of crazies to do major damage, and they are thinking in ways that you can't even begin to imagine, the laissez-faire attitude that has become popular will be our demise. You are dealing with an enemy that unlike most people does not have a 30 second attention span, the enemy does not think short term, short term to them is years, decades and centuries. If people want to plant their heads in the ground and think that all is ok, we are in for many years of turmoil

Seriously, your chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are a LOT less than your chances of being killed in a car accident.

If you ask me, there are disproportionate resources spent on protecting the public from "terrorism" (or rather, those resources aren't spent properly). How many Americans die because of insufficient healthcare? How far would 175-300 million/day being spent in the Middle East to play whack-a-terrorist go to not only harden our defenses HERE, but help save the lives of vulnerable Americans (including the 100 or so Iraqis who get blown up everyday by terrorists we've attracted to their country? How kind of us to bring our battle THERE so we don't have to fight them HERE, eh?)

I guess it's just a "control" mentality, however. Everyone knows you have a greater chance of being killed on the highway than in a plane crash, but more people are afrad of flying than driving.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Seriously, your chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are a LOT less than your chances of being killed in a car accident.

If you ask me, there are disproportionate resources spent on protecting the public from "terrorism" (or rather, those resources aren't spent properly). How many Americans die because of insufficient healthcare? How far would 175-300 million/day being spent in the Middle East to play whack-a-terrorist go to not only harden our defenses HERE, but help save the lives of vulnerable Americans (including the 100 or so Iraqis who get blown up everyday by terrorists we've attracted to their country? How kind of us to bring our battle THERE so we don't have to fight them HERE, eh?)

I guess it's just a "control" mentality, however. Everyone knows you have a greater chance of being killed on the highway than in a plane crash, but more people are afrad of flying than driving.

Excellent post.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 AM

267 posts, read 1,141,380 times
To most of you, a terrorist attack is something that you read about in a paper or watch on TV. To some of us it is something that we live with everyday. My husband was at 9-11. He was one of the first to respond to the trade centers. By the Grace of GOD, he is alive today. He never speaks of what he saw. We did lose people that we knew inside. One if his best friends (also a respondent) is perm disabled because he was inside when the towers collapsed.

After 9-11, my husband switched brances of law enforcement to work in an anti-terrorist capacity putting his life on the line everyday he goes to work. EVERYDAY as he walks out the door, I ask GOD to BLESS him and bring him home safely.

It is something that is very real and we all have to be aware of. Should we live our lives in fear? No. That is what they want. We just need to be aware.

Do I think that the govmt holds things back from the gen public? Of course they do. Should they? Of course! My own husband holds things back from me, and you know what? I do sleep better not knowing certain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida