Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
More low wage jobs will do nothing.
Not true at all. Name a city where there is no low skill labor? NYC? The wall street bankers might make good money but the average person doesnt make a lot of money. Besides someone has to manage those Low wage workers, so you will still get some good paying positions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Not true at all. Name a city where there is no low skill labor? NYC? The wall street bankers might make good money but the average person doesnt make a lot of money. Besides someone has to manage those Low wage workers, so you will still get some good paying positions
These people think low-skilled shouldn't work because they're "inferior", it's so stupid, everybody needs a work, so all jobs creation are good.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
So it's just better to have 10%+ UE and have everyone on UE benefits indefinitely?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
So it's just better to have 10%+ UE and have everyone on UE benefits indefinitely?
You're right, some people are creepy !

Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Here's the updated version. You can break it down to metro area, also.

How jobs growth forecast was done - USATODAY.com

Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
How I look at this is looking down the road at the massive amounts of baby boomers who are retiring in the largest numbers in the next 1-4 years.

Many of them have done well financially and most of them I know myself are selling off their homes here and moving to either Florida or Arizona.

It has already been predicted that a huge shift of people from the Midwest and NE to the SE and SW over the next few years.

Add that in with the boomers wanting to be in the sunshine and not in the cold adds up to more money being spent in the SE and SW states.

Therefore more jobs, more hiring and hopefully better paying jobs.

I believe Florida will recover from this current economic mess long before many other states because of all of the factors above and the fact that Florida for some reason always seems to rebound from problems better then most states.

Add in if the economy ever rebounds people will again be spending money on vacations in Florida and bringing cash to spend. That adds up to jobs.

Florida will be fine folks. Once we get out of this recession. ( We are NOT out of the recession by any means like our leaders are telling us ).

Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
How I look at this is looking down the road at the massive amounts of baby boomers who are retiring in the largest numbers in the next 1-4 years.

Many of them have done well financially and most of them I know myself are selling off their homes here and moving to either Florida or Arizona.

It has already been predicted that a huge shift of people from the Midwest and NE to the SE and SW over the next few years.

Add that in with the boomers wanting to be in the sunshine and not in the cold adds up to more money being spent in the SE and SW states.

Therefore more jobs, more hiring and hopefully better paying jobs.

I believe Florida will recover from this current economic mess long before many other states because of all of the factors above and the fact that Florida for some reason always seems to rebound from problems better then most states.

Add in if the economy ever rebounds people will again be spending money on vacations in Florida and bringing cash to spend. That adds up to jobs.

Florida will be fine folks. Once we get out of this recession. ( We are NOT out of the recession by any means like our leaders are telling us ).
Totally agree, Sunny.

And to add to that, there is actually quite a LOT in the works here in Florida regarding economy and future jobs - it's just that most of the naysayers don't want to hear about it or acknowledge it. Just in my own area of Sarasota/Manatee there are and have been some really good and potentially huge things in the works like new medical labs among other things which are already here like the new film studio. And then there is the whole "high-tech corridor" running from Tampa-Lakeland-Orlando, which I and others have posted many huge things coming for that area. Almost no one ever acknowledges those things.

That's OK, those naysayers can keep on ignoring that stuff, we can save this state for those who appreciate it. By the way, there was an article in Time magazine about a year ago (wish I'd saved it) that talked about where the jobs would be and what they would be in another 10 years or so, and Florida was at the top of the list.

Florida will be fine. The fact is, there are still a LOT of people who want to live here, we aren't the 3rd or 4th most populated state for nothing. But for those of you who don't like it, the beauty is there are a lot of other states to move to where you can find your own paradise.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:

DailyJ, people with skills do not earn minimum wage/low wages no matter what state you are in.

Jobs are jobs and if Florida starts creating more jobs people wont have to be on unemployment.

I know you could not stand the fact that you left Florida for NJ/Philly which has a horrific job outlook, but face the facts, Florida will rebound and you will have missed the opportunity because you ran to NJ.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-13-2011 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
DailyJ, people with skills do not earn minimum wage/low wages no matter what state you are in.

Jobs are jobs and if Florida starts creating more jobs people wont have to be on unemployment.

I know you could not stand the fact that you left Florida for NJ/Philly which has a horrific job outlook, but face the facts, Florida will rebound and you will have missed the opportunity because you ran to NJ.

***MOD CUT***.

Dear Sunny Days,

Even people with skills still end up with low paying or minimum wage jobs.

Social Workers, Teachers, Tutors, Muscial Acts, Nurses and many others start out with extremely low pay. Some teachers and nurses dont even make over $7.50-8.50 an hour thats barely over minimum wage. I would love for you to tell those people they do not have skills.

You have claimed that you have lived here for a couple of years way back when and now you are planning to move back here and you have also complained about all the people who came to Florida and didnt make it and i'm wondering why you moved out in the first place, Failure perhaps?

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-13-2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Dear Sunny Days,

Even people with skills still end up with low paying or minimum wage jobs.

Social Workers, Teachers, Tutors, Muscial Acts, Nurses and many others start out with extremely low pay. Some teachers and nurses dont even make over $7.50-8.50 an hour thats barely over minimum wage. I would love for you to tell those people they do not have skills.

You have claimed that you have lived here for a couple of years way back when and now you are planning to move back here and you have also complained about all the people who came to Florida and didnt make it and i'm wondering why you moved out in the first place, Failure perhaps?
You are incorrect, I did not live in Florida for a couple years. I only lived there for a few months. We were only 20 years old and sorry to break your heart but it was not failure at all, it was we came back to be around our parents who did not want us to leave in the first place.

For your info that was 24 years ago so when you personally attack like you just did at least get your info correct.

I never personally attack anyone.

If I had failed in Florida why would I want to move back? Or I could be like all the OTHER failures and post in the Florida forum once they failed and moved away. I think it makes them feel better to have something or someone to blame for their mistakes and failures.

I happen to know cases of people on this board personally who have failed. If I did not I would not be posting the info.

At least 4 of them failed financially by making huge mistakes, getting themselves into piles of debt, making horrible decisions, getting fired from decent paying jobs etc.

I happen to know the info first hand so I can post about the facts that they failed and then came back here and posted how Florida was the cause when I know it was NOT the case.

I know you hate Florida so you are excused from being incorrect about your assumption.

As far wages go many do well in Florida. What are those people doing that people only making 7.00 per hour are not doing?

I know many people across the entire state of Florida personally and they all do very well.

If you are working for 7.00 and have better skills then a 7.00 hour employee then that is your fault. Guess you would not have the extra skills to make yourself more valuable to the correct place.

I had more then 20 employees for many years and had many of those min wage people who were not even worth min. wage. Then I had those who were highly skilled and earned great pay for making me money and helped in growing my business to a point I sold it and was able to retire at an early age. But, I worked 16-20 hour days for many years and most people are not willing to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida