Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,298 times

Advertisements

I am a 32 year old single guy who lives in Seattle. I would love to live in Miami or Key West. This cold, grey, and rainy weather here in Seattle is getting old. I am curious to hear thoughts and oppinions on the difference between living in Key West and living in Miami. I know Miami is way bigger. My fear is that I would get bored living in Key West. Miami on the other hand would not get boring I don't think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:21 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Hello Seattle, I'm listening

Key West is only good if you are into fishing, nothing much to do there.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
It depends on what kind of life you're after. Miami has access to more, but Key West is a beautiful place that only a fortunate few are able to call home.

We need more information as to what you're looking for to determine what place would work best for you

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Hello Seattle, I'm listening

Key West is only good if you are into fishing, nothing much to do there.
This.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Like Coconut1 said it really depends on what type of lifestyle you want. I have one friend that lives down in Key West, he would never want to live in Miami again. Then there are people in Miami that could never live in Key West as it is to small, not enough things to do, etc. The best thing is to visit both and decide on your own.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,952 times
I have lived in Key West and used to commute to Miami for Reserve duty once a month. I lived in KW for three years. What made me leave was the attitude that is known as Keys Disease down there...I had a blast, but I had to get out and back to reality...(And it was waiting for me too...ouch)

But I miss the zaniness of that town quite a bit. People there were just weird cause it was cool. Out here in Santa Monica...they are just weird in general. There were a lot more older people there, about 10-15 years over our demographic, as I am also 32. It's a party place, where most of South Florida and some of Northern Florida comes down to barf...really.

While I had some great times there, I was a Ghost Tour guide for two years in Old Town...I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but it was time to go. It's like a party that just never ends eventually you are like...ok...everybody out...but the only time they leave is when a hurricane comes. Real sucks, but it's the truth...

People seem to live in a "time freezes into vacation time" attitude...and that just rubs off on you for living there...I do miss people being happy more though, I live in LA now and people with 1/2 a million dollar cars look angry enough to crap railroad spikes...people are just miserable here and seem to love it. Key West is a fun-loving party town...plain and simple.

They are right about fishing...or watersports. It's also a great place to boat, or kayak...dive. But not much else...I left also cause I missed the mountains after living in Hawaii...and having no beach that you really want to frequent is also turn-off...you have to drive to Bahia Honda...or Miami.

But going back from Miami was great...it gets so quiet...you pass the Key Deer...and then you are home...back to the crazy little city far from everywhere...oh yeah, that little short string on the map? Try about 3.5 hours! I do miss driving a scooter...I am going to get one out here...but it's scarier here, unless it's late at night.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
I am a 32 year old single guy who lives in Seattle. I would love to live in Miami or Key West. This cold, grey, and rainy weather here in Seattle is getting old. I am curious to hear thoughts and oppinions on the difference between living in Key West and living in Miami. I know Miami is way bigger. My fear is that I would get bored living in Key West. Miami on the other hand would not get boring I don't think.
What kind of work would you be looking for in Florida?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I would love to live in both! I want to visit the Keys so bad!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
KW is agreat place to visit, but not to live. It's so small and u would totally get bored. While it is naturally very beautiful and the winter weather cannot be beat-- it's small and to be honest-- a bit on the "white trash" side... if u know what I'm saying. Not everyone, but there is a huge element of that in the keys I think. Beach-bums, fisherman, drunks, party-ers, people that wanted "get away from it all"..... just kind of some strange people down there sometimes.

Of course u have ur tourists as well, spring breakers, canadians, northerners, etc.
I think Miami would be better. It has all the offering of a major city, crazy nightlife, beautiful beaches, great weather, etc....and you're still within a 3 hour drive to Key West.

Key West is just too small and u would get bored.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 AM

23 posts, read 84,850 times
Both are beautiful, but Key West is very expensive for one, and like others have said, there is not a whole lot to do other than touristy things or water activities. Miami as a whole offers pretty much everything Key West has and more. Miami would be the best choice, and then Key West is only a couple hours away for a weekend trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: