Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 19,555 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Lakeland, can any one tell me about the best area there? we have two childrens (3-6) and we want to know about the schools and all the places in there. My husband works with computers and in Lakeland are some Computers related companies but we are not sure if he is going to find a job on his are (Mainframe, Z/OS, OPC etc...) fast or is going to be hard, I really need more information. Thanks!!!

Last edited by roche950; 07-12-2007 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 18,663 times
Thumbs down I wouldn't move here

I moved to Lakeland 1 year ago, and I am unimpressed with the town.
Lakeland is very strange, it has grown tremendously in the past 15 years and the city is poorly planned. With the phosphate mines, the pollution is rather high compared to national pollution levels.
I also have heard very negative things about the school system (from physical abuse towards Pre-Kers to sexual abuse from high school gym teachers, all cases I have heard of the teachers were not disciplined)... the illiteracy rate is high in Polk County.
I have had problems finding friends in Lakeland, and the friends I have found have moved away.
Lakeland is a good place to live if you have family here, but is otherwise stagnate. Lots of racism (from what I have encountered) and in a town called Lakeland, there is nowhere to swim, except in privately owned gyms and at the YMCA. I am suprised by that.
It is easy to find your way around lakeland, and some of the architecture is interesting partly due to Florida Southern College being designed by the famous Frank Lloyd Wright, so that's a good thing about it. Also, there's a very good barbecue place down the street from my house. But for as small as a city this is, there's a lot of sirens, intolerance, and nobody's really that friendly. Lots of Southern Pride.
So, I personally am looking forward to moving from Lakeland, but this might be your cup of tea. Try looking at Winter Haven. It's smaller, prettier, and full of retirees, so it might be safer. I'd live there if I were doing it again.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,304 times
Ok first off the most of the schools in the state are HORRID ( public that is ) Lakeland is a Bigish city with everything you can immagine...We have friends that live in lakeland and love it ...Traffic can be some what of a bear at times but what city is'nt like that ?.. Now Winter Haven is the nicest place i think i have seen in a long time ( that was the first place oon our list to move ) it too has almost everything...but is much smaller then lakeland...and alot of retires as the above poster stated....I Did alot of Research on winter haven and know just about everything about that area ....If we could sell our house i would either be in Winter Haven, Auburndale or Lakeland ...Schools in winter haven are not that bad but not exceptional either ...Choose private for schools

Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Now I'm worry I was thinking that Lakeland was better than Orlando or Poinciana, houses are not that $$$ but I know that in Orlando and Tampa the houses are very expensive.... Don't know what to do now!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM

52 posts, read 237,363 times
CNNMoney: Where To Buy Now - Lakeland #4

The schools I have checked into (Elementary and Middle school) in the area where I bought a house, actually received "A Ratings" and there is a brand new Elementary school (Sleepy Hill Elementary) opening next month just outside our community.

Mostly everything I've heard about Lakeland has been positive.

As with everything else, some people's opinions may differ for whatever reason.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM

52 posts, read 237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roche950 View Post
Now I'm worry I was thinking that Lakeland was better than Orlando or Poinciana, houses are not that $$$ but I know that in Orlando and Tampa the houses are very expensive.... Don't know what to do now!
Lakeland and Poinciana shouldn't even be in the same sentence IMO.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM

My bad!!!! Sorry about put them in the same sentence..... Can someone tell me if there are good job opt. with computers (mainframe, opc, z/os ?) anyway we are moving to Lakeland hoping for the best.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,428 times
I am wanting to move to lakeland fl. Can anyone tell me which side of town is the worst side. I have been checking into realtors website and one area of lakeland keeps popping up. crystal lake area. Is this a good area or bad. Also is there a web link to see what side of town is the worst side. With crime and drugs and all.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:10 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortdude View Post
I am wanting to move to lakeland fl. Can anyone tell me which side of town is the worst side. I have been checking into realtors website and one area of lakeland keeps popping up. crystal lake area. Is this a good area or bad. Also is there a web link to see what side of town is the worst side. With crime and drugs and all.
Funny you should ask about Crystal Lake - we just closed on our house in the Lake Hollingsworth area, and I was getting new locks on our door. I asked the locksmith about our neighborhood and he said it was very safe, so I asked about the BAD area and he mentioned Crystal Lake! So I would stay away from that area! Overall, Lakeland is a very safe and beautiful city, but another area that looks rough is up there north of downtown near the hospital. Personally I love the South side are where we bought - very convenient and charming.

I would recommend checking out the online paper, the Ledger, and each week they publish the crime map - you can see where the bulk of the crimes occur. Here is the link to their main page.

Home | The Ledger: Lakeland, Polk County, Florida

Good luck - Lakeland is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida