Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 16,596 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I tried this question on the Tampa forum with no luck, so let' see...

Anyone here know anyone who works for a cruise company, not on a ship, and not in Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

I am considering a move to FL in future and would like to work for a cruise company, been watching their open positions, etc. Makes sense that most evrything is in FLL or MIA, especially the corporate offices, but all those ports...Tampa, Port Canaveral, Jax,.....and notice a call center in Fort Pierce....there ARE jobs outside of Miami/FLL, maybe not as plentiful. I prefer not to live in SE Florida and would be willing to locate anywhere else, but my favorite area is the Tampa/Clearwater area.

So my question is - if you do know someone employed by a cruise co., what town do they work in? And where do they live for the commute?

TIA so much - this is a great forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiCi2050 View Post
Hello,
I tried this question on the Tampa forum with no luck, so let' see...

Anyone here know anyone who works for a cruise company, not on a ship, and not in Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

I am considering a move to FL in future and would like to work for a cruise company, been watching their open positions, etc. Makes sense that most evrything is in FLL or MIA, especially the corporate offices, but all those ports...Tampa, Port Canaveral, Jax,.....and notice a call center in Fort Pierce....there ARE jobs outside of Miami/FLL, maybe not as plentiful. I prefer not to live in SE Florida and would be willing to locate anywhere else, but my favorite area is the Tampa/Clearwater area.

So my question is - if you do know someone employed by a cruise co., what town do they work in? And where do they live for the commute?

TIA so much - this is a great forum.
What are your main reasons for avoiding the SE part of the state? If it is involving the avoidance of crime, etc, I can recommend a few good areas. This is where all of the cruse company offices are based, with the huge Carnival office in Miramar and Norwegian in Miami. Not much except for low pay call center type jobs outside of this area. Plenty of jobs, like you said, but it tends to be on the lower scale.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
What are your main reasons for avoiding the SE part of the state? If it is involving the avoidance of crime, etc, I can recommend a few good areas. This is where all of the cruse company offices are based, with the huge Carnival office in Miramar and Norwegian in Miami. Not much except for low pay call center type jobs outside of this area. Plenty of jobs, like you said, but it tends to be on the lower scale.
Thanks for your reply....maybe it's just fear of the unknown. It appears to be much more expensive than some of the other areas, more crowded, as well as the crime. I do live on the outskirts of a large midwestern city, so I'm well versed in prevention, but as a single F, just gravitating toward what has appealed to me so far in the way of FL neighborhoods.

BTW, I'm aware that some of those call center jobs are not as low-paying as some may think, so I haven't ruled that possibility out yet.
Again, thank you for your help, interested in your reply.

Also would like to hear from others who may know people employed by the cruise companies in other areas of the state. Looking to gather as much info as possible to make an informed decision, which would involve visiting, researching, renting for a while, etc...
Thanks!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiCi2050 View Post
Thanks for your reply....maybe it's just fear of the unknown. It appears to be much more expensive than some of the other areas, more crowded, as well as the crime. I do live on the outskirts of a large midwestern city, so I'm well versed in prevention, but as a single F, just gravitating toward what has appealed to me so far in the way of FL neighborhoods.

BTW, I'm aware that some of those call center jobs are not as low-paying as some may think, so I haven't ruled that possibility out yet.
Again, thank you for your help, interested in your reply.

Also would like to hear from others who may know people employed by the cruise companies in other areas of the state. Looking to gather as much info as possible to make an informed decision, which would involve visiting, researching, renting for a while, etc...
Thanks!
As far as the crime, its a turnoff. Dade is nuts, Palm Beach County has some really insane neighborhoods. Broward crime mirrors national trends, but its still a crowded and expensive region and not the most family friendly (if you were to raise a family) and also has its bad areas. You actually have a surprsingly vast area of safe places to live in South Florida (much of the west half of Broward, most of south Palm Beach County), but it is expensive. Best of luck on your search! I like Tampa a lot too, its more chilled and friendly then a lot of areas. IT also feels a little more "Midwestern" where this has a more northeast feel.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Best of luck on your search! I like Tampa a lot too, its more chilled and friendly then a lot of areas. IT also feels a little more "Midwestern" where this has a more northeast feel.
Thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida