Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 18,366 times

Advertisements

We (a 2 mom family with 2 children) recently moved to Mount Dora. We've recently spent a lot of time in the San Francisco area and were very spoiled by all it has to offer. We're looking forward to putting down roots here though and were looking for comments regarding Mount Dora and what it has to offer. Any comments specific to gay families with children would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 05:41 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,549 times
You can enjoy the Mt.dora art festival every spring, the Lake County fair in Eustis, trips to the mall, etc.. But, if you are looking for some group that is geared to gay families, forget it. Lake County is rather conservative county.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:35 PM

58 posts, read 193,709 times
Talking You are not alone kimsails

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsails View Post
We (a 2 mom family with 2 children) recently moved to Mount Dora. We've recently spent a lot of time in the San Francisco area and were very spoiled by all it has to offer. We're looking forward to putting down roots here though and were looking for comments regarding Mount Dora and what it has to offer. Any comments specific to gay families with children would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
You can enjoy the Mt.dora art festival every spring, the Lake County fair in Eustis, trips to the mall, etc.. But, if you are looking for some group that is geared to gay families, forget it. Lake County is rather conservative county.
What SouthernBelle writes is true; Lake County is a rather conservative, Sunday church going community and it's also true that to the best of my knowledge there are no groups geared for gay families. Yet, there is another side to the coin. This is a live and let live county.
No, it's not SF but as long as you don't come off as pushy, with your own personal agenda for changing everyones mind to your way of thinking, then you'll find the County rather tolerant of most any lifestyle. There's rednecks, retired millionaires(many more than at first appears) Yankees, Mexicans and yes plenty of gay/lesbian couples, more so in Mt. Dora.
Go to the health food store and other new age things around here. Visit the local cafes in Mt.Dora (and 3rd place in Eustis)
Welcome!
I for one am not gay (I think) but extend my hand [handshake] and offer to try to answer your questions if you pm me.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM

13 posts, read 61,225 times
Don't know about Mt. Dora but there seems to be a large number of gay families/partners living near downtown Orlando, especially on the southeast side, say within 1+/- mile of the downtown area, in the event you consider relocating in the future.

Mike/CF

Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,477 times
Default New Gay Lesbian Social Group in Lake County

[There is a fairly new Gay & Lesbian social group that meets monthly in the Mount Dora area. Over 100 gay men & women attend these Meet & Greet type gatherings. Check out their website for upcoming events Page 1. You'll be glad you did- we have met some of the most wonderful new friends through this organization. The Mount Dora area is quickly becomimg the new Gay & Lesbian hot community of Florida!
Bruce & Dale

Old 09-12-2007, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 10,379 times
Default Gay mom with 1 child

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsails View Post
I'm also a gay mom with 1 child and I have lived in this area for 6 years. I have not found any other families with children in the area. I'm sure we are out there, but I was surprised to find a listing on line. I am looking for play dates for my son he is 2 1/2.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 12,243 times
Hey, I live in mt. dora, and they dont have any GLBT community things (because people in the south are baised, narrow minded and sticklers- atleast the super-conservatice ones, in my opinion...but then I start sounding like them...anywho)

There tend to be more gay men in the Tricity area (mt. dora, eustis, taveres) than lesbians, but I know we have our fair share of beavs. myself included in the latter catagory. (well, pansexual but these days you kiss a girl once and your a "lesbian")

I wish we all could meet up sometime and FORM a GLBT group here in the tricity area. We need a place of peace, especially down here in Mt. dora.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,436 times
Okay, we just moved to Aventura, Miami with our 3 yr old, expected more and got attitude in the playground. Where can we go?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 15,296 times
so...lots to read. my partner and I are considering the mount dora area too. we now live in highly conservative NC...can't imagine anyplace more so. wondering what anyone thinks about these posts lately. I see interest in the subject has dropped off but I'd really like to know if anyone has new thoughts. we thought the area was charming and had a nifty open sort of vibe but without living there it's hard to know, of course. we're going back down in May and will be checking it out more thoroughly so any new info would be much appreciated. thanks all!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:37 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,907 times
How sad that you guys still encounter such prejudice in this day and age. Even though we are a "traditional" family, you'd be welcomed with open arms. As somebody above mentioned, the mentality seems strongly along the "live and let live" line but, of course, one often only recognizes prejudice when one is the recipient...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida