Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,691 times

Advertisements

I Have been all through this forum and blogs and see nothing regarding the desperate situations I personally know are looming in our schools. Teachers that babysit rather than teach, bulling, no disipline for those who disrupt everyone's day, the lack of tactful appropriate communication between parents, staff, and teachers. If someone could see this and direct me to the correct or similar forum it would be greatly appreciated. It is difficult to believe that I am the only parent in this HUGE county that has these concerns. I would love to discuss and read entrys with willing participants that share the same education concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,691 times
Apparently no one is concerned. The only concerns I find are about "funding", tenure, and pensions. Teachers have always been on a lower pay scale and not treated fairly I totally agree!!!! Been there, but we still must teach the children. We can not turn up our noses or turn our backs because the profession we chose is under attack. It was worth a try to begin a discussion but maybe I should head to a different forum.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Just a thought, but have you ever been in a situation where you're stuck in the middle with varying expectations from a few sides and had little support from anyone? I would say that's what it's like to be a present day teacher in Florida public schools (as well as other states). Parents don't want to parent much anymore, so it's up to teachers to be the bad guy and provide discipline/limits to behavior not enforced at home. Teachers are told what their curriculum is to include and in many instances teach to enhance standardized testing scores so their schools can get the best case scenario in inadequate funding. They also face layoffs, pay freezes, strict accountability not found anywhere else in the public education system and transparent attempts at amends from slimeball Governor Rick Scott in hopes of achieving some popularity gain....all while charged with educating future generations at a salary equal to the average office worker, minus non-reimbursed costs for providing sufficient supplies to students because of inadequate state funding. So yes, go ahead and whine about those stuck in the middle, as that's clearly not effective. My advice to those disenchanted...get involved in the PTA (every school has one), go to School Board meetings and voice your opinion, and lastly think long and hard about who you vote for as Governor next time...or better yet vote period as I have yet to meet anyone who has admitted to voting for Rick Scott.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 14,236 times
look harder... Last year Florida teachers ranked first in the country in quality:

Our students and teachers were recently ranked 6th for educational quality. On a recent international reading survey, our fourth graders scored among the best in the world. And, the National Council on Teacher Quality ranked Florida teachers number one in the country on their 2012 survey.

Governor Rick Scott:

Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen777 View Post
look harder... Last year Florida teachers ranked first in the country in quality:

Our students and teachers were recently ranked 6th for educational quality. On a recent international reading survey, our fourth graders scored among the best in the world. And, the National Council on Teacher Quality ranked Florida teachers number one in the country on their 2012 survey.

Governor Rick Scott:
Education Week: Quality Counts 2012 - State Report Cards

Florida was actually ranked around 11th, which was actually better than the US average according to edweek.

https://app2.fldoe.org/Ranking/Districts/

I would personally rank Polk County Schools as lower than the Florida average. In 2011, Polk County was given a grade of C and ranked 59th out of the 67 counties in Florida.

As a student and graduate of the Hillsborough County School System, I can say that we used to make fun at the expense of Polk County students often.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen777 View Post

Governor Rick Scott:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

Florida was actually ranked around 11th, which was actually better than the US average according to Education Week.

I would personally rank Polk County Schools as lower than the Florida average. In 2011, Polk County was given a grade of C and ranked 59th out of the 67 counties in Florida.

As a student and graduate of the Hillsborough County School System, I can say that we used to make fun at the expense of Polk County students often.
We slipped from 6th to 11th thanks to Governor Ricky and his Tea Party cohorts in the State Legislature who seemingly can't slash enough funds from the state's Education Budget, which impacted the funding criteria of the scoring system. Hence his recent proposal to give teacher raises, he needs some friends in education for a reelection bid next year.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

Florida was actually ranked around 11th, which was actually better than the US average according to edweek.

No Florida was ranked 11th in 2012, In 2013 we are #6, and Texas is number 11.
Education Week: Quality Counts 2013 - State Report Cards

Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
Yes, Polk county does rank at the lower end of the spectrum for 2012 they ranked 58 out of the 66 school districts. Does not seem to me that they are trying to change there ways either. If they were not so bad our state would probably be ranked #5 because they are one of the largest districts in the state.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 26,584 times
We have a 7 year old daughter and we were looking into Polk County as our New Residence from NY. I am disenchanted on what I have seen about Polk County schools as a whole on Greater schools.com... there are a few Elementary schools that seem to rank high... what would be the suggestions of this forum. Should I look into a Private School..a re Charter schools differ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida