Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,428 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering taking a position in Palm Bay, FL. I have been looking at schools in Brevard, Martin, and Indian River Counties. They all have horrible test scores. None of the districts make yearly adequate progress. Does everyone send their kids to private schools? I am shocked!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,492 times
Most Floridians can not afford to send their kids to private school but homeschooling is enormously popular here and charter schools are becoming more popular. If you are looking at the FCAT scores or No Child Left Behind requirements, I wouldn't read too much into it. They are garbage and no one, teachers or parents, likes them. The Florida public school system is not great. It has improved quite a bit over the last few years but it isn't even close to most of the northeastern and mid-atlantic states. I don't know any parent that is happy with the state of public schools in Florida. For the 2006-07 school year Florida schools ranked 29th out of 50 nationwide. In 2001, it was 48th.

We live in Okaloosa County which is ranked #1 in the state. Even then, we spend a lot of time working with our kids to compensate for what they are not getting in school. If we lived in some of the other counties in the state, we would almost certainly send our kids to private school.

Brevard County is ranked #3 and Martin County is ranked #4 in the state.

This list is for the 2006-07 school year. The number is the rank, the name is the county, the letter is the overall grade given to the school district.

1. Okaloosa - A
2. Gilchrist - A
3. Brevard - A
4. Martin - A
5. St. Johns - A
6. Santa Rosa - A
7. Seminole - A
8. Sarasota - A
9. Charlotte - A
10. Nassau - A
11. Wakulla - A
12. Clay - A
13. Palm Beach - A
14. Monroe - A
15. Alachua - A
16. Walton - A
17. Citrus - A
18. Leon - A
19. Calhoun - A
20. Indian River - B
21. Bay - B
22. Taylor - B
23. Orange - B
24. Flagler - B
25. Sumter - B
26. Hillsborough - B
27. Lake – B
28. Broward - B
29. Pinellas - B
30. Lee - B
31. Collier - B
32. Dixie - B
33. Volusia - B
34. Okeechobee - B
35. Pasco - B
36. Union - B
37. Hernando - B
38. Marion - B
39. Gulf - B
40. Lafayette - B
41. Washington - B
42. Manatee - B
43. Jackson - B
44. Baker - C
45. Highlands - C
46. Liberty - C
47. Duval - C
48. Holmes - C
49. Polk - C
50. Hardee - C
51. Columbia - C
52. Putnam - C
53. Dade - C
54. Levy - C
55. Suwannee - C
56. Osceola - C
57. Escambia - C
58. St. Lucie - C
59. Bradford - C
60. Franklin - C
61. DeSoto - C
62. Hendry - C
63. Jefferson - C
64. Glades - C
65. Hamilton - D
66. Madison - D
67. Gadsden - F

Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Bervard County test scores actually look pretty good, by any standard. Florida's high school test scores in general, are horrific, specifically reading standards. The middle schools are about average and the elementary schools are starting to break the barrier of being above average.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
I doubt those school grades are real. In fact, my friend teaches at a school in West Palm Beach that is an "A" school yet most of the kids can't speak English and have failed the tests.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,428 times
I have been looking at Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters. It shows by district and then by school test scores in reading and math, teacher to student ratio and % economically disadvantaged. I used this site when we moved from Pennsylvania to Dallas. I found it to be a good representation of the schools. I haven't found one school that compares to where we are now. I am pretty discouraged!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnut4 View Post
I have been looking at Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters. It shows by district and then by school test scores in reading and math, teacher to student ratio and % economically disadvantaged. I used this site when we moved from Pennsylvania to Dallas. I found it to be a good representation of the schools. I haven't found one school that compares to where we are now. I am pretty discouraged!!!
If schools are a higher priority than place of employment, Florida may not be the state for you. One thing that used to bother me when my child was in the public school was people who moved from other states complaining about how bad the education was in Florida. If your child is so gifted, you could find a good private school, although a lot of the private schools are no better than public schools academically. Otherwise, even in C rated schools, there are bright kids taking honors classes, and many schools have dual enrollment with the local community colleges. Some kids receive an AA when they graduate from high school. Remember Florida is a service based economy and children of professionals share the school with children of parents who have less time to spend with their kids, as they work 2 jobs to make ends meet. Also there are kids from a lot of various ethnic backgrounds that may tend to skew test results because maybe they barely speak English. This comes with the territory of living here. I hope this enlightens you a little, but all in all, my child got a decent education despite her school being a C or B rated school.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 26,221 times
Default brevard county schools

Having recently moved from Long Island to Palm Bay, I was
disappointed with the curriculum. The Educational Standards
of Long Island Schools are much more rigorous.
My youngest child was tested in Florida and Reading Well Above Grade
level , yet his teacher was giving him Grade 4 Reading material-
well below his abilities. Needless to say, his first year In
Florida Schools has been disappointing.
My oldest child in 10th Grade was receiving an Excellent
education on Long Island. The "Exact Same" text books he was using in 10th Grade are used in Florida Schools in 12th Grade.
The Students in Florida Public Schools are considered "AP" Students yet they are learning from the same materials that are taught years earlier in Long Island Schools to the general student body.
AND the Long Island students are in the general population and not considered "AP" students, which shows that the material being taught to "AP" students in Long Island schools is at a much higher learning standard than Florida standards. Needless to say my Child is an "Honor Roll" student here In Florida - But I Know
the material being taught is below Long Island Standards.
I am disheartened, as all parents want their children to receive
A top quality education. I know in my heart that my child
will NOT receive the same quality of education in Florida as
they were receiving in Long Island Schools.
Also, Most Florida Schools do NOT offer Physical Education.
In Long Island schools and New York state, students are required to pass P.E.
and cannot graduate from High School if they have not passed P.E. Too many excuses as to why Florida schools do not have P.E. classes
- Which is also so important to a child's growth
and well being.

Last edited by cbm01; 11-19-2007 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: capitilization

Old 11-19-2007, 03:41 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default No comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm01 View Post
Having recently moved from Long Island to Palm Bay, I was
disappointed with the curriculum. The Educational Standards
of Long Island Schools are much more rigorous.
My youngest child was tested in Florida and Reading Well Above Grade
level , yet his teacher was giving him Grade 4 Reading material-
well below his abilities. Needless to say, his first year In
Florida Schools has been disappointing.
My oldest child in 10th Grade was receiving an Excellent
education on Long Island. The "Exact Same" text books he was using in 10th Grade are used in Florida Schools in 12th Grade.
The Students in Florida Public Schools are considered "AP" Students yet they are learning from the same materials that are taught years earlier in Long Island Schools to the general student body.
AND the Long Island students are in the general population and not considered "AP" students, which shows that the material being taught to "AP" students in Long Island schools is at a much higher learning standard than Florida standards. Needless to say my Child is an "Honor Roll" student here In Florida - But I Know
the material being taught is below Long Island Standards.
I am disheartened, as all parents want their children to receive
A top quality education. I know in my heart that my child
will NOT receive the same quality of education in Florida as
they were receiving in Long Island Schools.
Also, Most Florida Schools do NOT offer Physical Education.
In Long Island schools and New York state, students are required to pass P.E.
and cannot graduate from High School if they have not passed P.E. Too many excuses as to why Florida schools do not have P.E. classes
- Which is also so important to a child's growth
and well being.
I have worked in both LI and now Florida schools. What you say is very, very true.

The elementary schools have no gyms. So when it is raining the kids have no PE or recess time. I guess they figure it never rains in Florida? On those days they just sit inside.

When I worked on LI, they not only had PE, but in elementary and middle school, they had recess every day in addition. The kids went outside every day unless it was raining, snowing, or the temps were below 32 degrees. They went outside in coats, hats, scarves, boots, etc. When they couldn't go outside for recess, they still had PE inside in the GYM. One way or the other, they got exercise.

So much for the people here on this board saying that people up north hibernate in the winters. Our kids are OUTSIDE playing in the cold and the snow.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,442 times
I will tell you the same thing I told my brother-in-law who has the same worries: If you are proactive with your child's education then they will be fine. Just supplement the areas you are concerned about at home, take an active part in their school and keep the communication lines open between your child and their teachers. I am a graduate of the Florida Public School system and I am doing pretty well in life (its been 10 years though) and my children are doing pretty great also.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:02 PM

149 posts, read 701,112 times
If you are looking for good public schools in Brevard, look in Merritt Island, Vierra, and Indian Harbour/Satellite/Melbourne Beaches. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida