Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM

566 posts, read 2,059,486 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of a family member whom moved down here from N.Y. about 16 yrs. ago and didn't like S.Fl at all. She'd sneak her way up there as much as she could, as everything she thought at the time was better up there, she'd bring clothes, jewelry, perfume, even bags of bagels, etc. from up there. But a funny thing happened as time went on...as years went by she'd go less & less & just last yr. she had to go to a wedding up there & I could not believe what came out of her mouth when she came back, "Ohhh...I can't believe I lived there so long, it's cold, grey & some parts looked dirty to me, melting snow, people walking fast, the subways, having to wear so much clothes... I'm never leaving beautiful S.FL & I hope I never have to go back" she said. I almost choked....
I'm not bashing the N.E., my point is that it's just curious to me how our perspectives can change... One moment we swear this is it...but then our whole outlook can change.
It's like my ma always say, 'Never say no you won't do this or that...cause you just never know..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 AM

976 posts, read 3,862,330 times
Its good to hear you are considering to stay in Florida, bamboosmom. I would imagine that the taxes in PA are almost as bad as in Florida. They have been rising quite quickly these last few years. Im glad i got out of there when i did. I have also noticed that the storms are slowing down there in Florida. I also heard if any do form this year they have a good chance of turning northwards before coming towards the Florida coast. So the Carolinas will be having trouble in the years to come. Florida truly is paradise. Beautiful beaches, palm trees, the houses with the tile roofs, the perfect landscaping, the blue waters. Sorry but, i couldnt leave that for the grey weather of the Poconos in Pennsylvania. The cold, dark weather with the trees looking dead. I hated living in Pittsburgh and being landlocked. Here in Westlake were right next to the lake with some great beaches. You see so many people from Pennsylvania up here in the Cleveland metro at our beaches. Unless you wanted to swim in the polluted rivers of Pittsburgh . Anyway, i hope everything goes well. BTW, is your family from Pennsylvania planning to move down there to Florida. Then if you do have your family down there you will all be together and you wont have to worry about getting a house up north.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,839 times
Talking I wish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Its good to hear you are considering to stay in Florida, bamboosmom. I would imagine that the taxes in PA are almost as bad as in Florida. They have been rising quite quickly these last few years. Im glad i got out of there when i did. I have also noticed that the storms are slowing down there in Florida. I also heard if any do form this year they have a good chance of turning northwards before coming towards the Florida coast. So the Carolinas will be having trouble in the years to come. Florida truly is paradise. Beautiful beaches, palm trees, the houses with the tile roofs, the perfect landscaping, the blue waters. Sorry but, i couldnt leave that for the grey weather of the Poconos in Pennsylvania. The cold, dark weather with the trees looking dead. I hated living in Pittsburgh and being landlocked. Here in Westlake were right next to the lake with some great beaches. You see so many people from Pennsylvania up here in the Cleveland metro at our beaches. Unless you wanted to swim in the polluted rivers of Pittsburgh . Anyway, i hope everything goes well. BTW, is your family from Pennsylvania planning to move down there to Florida. Then if you do have your family down there you will all be together and you wont have to worry about getting a house up north.

I wish they would move down here. We are so confused as what to do.
Stay, go... I dunno.
We are going to have to decide though. I think I am going out to sit by the pool now and rethink my thoughts.
We have another realtor couple coming over tommorrow.
We may even just raise the price of the house back up. I feel that enough is enough. Time to swing the market back to a sellers market

Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 AM

Oh, and if we just keep listening to the media and all the realtors predictions, we would be selling our homes for peanuts. They are just predictions.
And if enough people would stop playing follow the leader and just stick to their guns, it wouldn't have gotten this way. IMOH.
It's like the gas thing. We are all like a bunch of robots here. Just paying and not saying a word!!!! The government and the higher ups are taking advantage of us AMEICANS!!
The Prez is sending billions of dollars overseas to help people rebuild their homes. What the heck??? What about the people of America that lost their homes to fires, storms, earthquakes, etc?
I wish I had power to do something...
SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE OR WE WILL ALL BE IN BAD SHAPE

Old 08-22-2006, 10:10 AM

99 posts, read 308,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Oh, and if we just keep listening to the media and all the realtors predictions, we would be selling our homes for peanuts. They are just predictions.
And if enough people would stop playing follow the leader and just stick to their guns, it wouldn't have gotten this way. IMOH.
It's like the gas thing. We are all like a bunch of robots here. Just paying and not saying a word!!!! The government and the higher ups are taking advantage of us AMEICANS!!
The Prez is sending billions of dollars overseas to help people rebuild their homes. What the heck??? What about the people of America that lost their homes to fires, storms, earthquakes, etc?
I wish I had power to do something...
SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE OR WE WILL ALL BE IN BAD SHAPE
Bamboo, I need to disagree with you on this one. The market situation is due in large part to over saturation, both in the # of homes and the prices vs. affordability. But you have your home priced well and are offering a lot for the money, so you'll get your buyer. It just may take a little longer than you want.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 AM

Well, I hope so but it just looks like everybody is following the downward trend and I think that's a big mistake. I do! It's like even the homes that are nicer and bigger are just trying to follow the group. Why? Well maybe they are desparate. We aren't. We do want to price it correctly but enough is enough.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:33 AM

99 posts, read 308,533 times
Quote:
Well, I hope so but it just looks like everybody is following the downward trend and I think that's a big mistake. I do! It's like even the homes that are nicer and bigger are just trying to follow the group. Why? Well maybe they are desparate. We aren't. We do want to price it correctly but enough is enough.

Bamboo, many people purchased far more home than they could afford. They NEED to sell. See my response to your other post.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
I am thinking about a move from PA to FLA and am on a fixed income. Can anyone tell me what areas are the most economical when it comes to southern FLA.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,024 times
Quote:
Although life in the Carolinas, Tennessee and a few other southern states may have a lower cost of living, I question if they have the year round weather and diversity of cultural interest in the close proximity that we enjoy. Just an hour and a half to our north we have three major professional sports franchises, not to mention many entertainment venues hosting world class artists. If you enjoy the arts, Sarasota has the Van Wezel and Asolo, and for something closer to home there is the Barbara B. Mann that hosts many top line performers and Broadway shows; and let us not forget about Disney and Universal Theme parks just a little over 2 ½ hours away. Of course there is plenty more to see on the east coast and for the truly adventurous, a quick three hour flight can put you right in the heart of New York’s Theater district on Broadway. How many states offer this diversity of interests?
Ever heard of Texas? Or California? Heck, Uptown/Downtown Dallas has more to do and more history than most of your offerings combined.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Ever heard of Texas? Or California? Heck, Uptown/Downtown Dallas has more to do and more history than most of your offerings combined.
I wonder if the poster from SIX YEARS AGO is going to respond?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: