Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM

12 posts, read 56,076 times

Advertisements

No particular order, curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,687 times
Dolphin mall is #1 for sure!!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
Aventura and Dadeland...Sungrass...Dolphin...those are the busiest in South Florida. I am sure the Florida Mall in Orlando is in the to 5 as well.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Sorry forgot to ask but i was curious as to what type of demographics, younger or older crowd and if mostly locals, tourists or both?
I am moving to Florida in 2 months i wouldnt looking into doing something in retail business and need any help i can get

Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,898,286 times
I'll throw 10 out there in no particular order.Sawgrass Mills in Broward,Dolphin Mall in Miami,Aventura mall,Dadeland Mall,International Plaza in Tampa,Mall at Millenia in Orlando,Both Premium outlets in Orlando (Vineland and International Drive),Florida Mall in Orlando and Westfield Brandon in the Tampa suburb of Brandon.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,117,325 times
Westshore Plaza had sales of $379/square foot.

International Plaza and Bay Street, Tampa. 1.2 million square feet, 185 stores, 15 restaurants, and Renaissance Tampa Hotel. Sales PSF are $500-600.

St. Johns Town Center in Jacksonville, FL draws more than 10 million visitors per year! The trade area that most of the retailers use to locate there is St. Augustine to Nassau County and the beaches to the Westside of town, but only 65% of visitors to the mall come from NE FL. 35% of mall visitors come from other parts of Florida or from out of the state entirely. St. Johns Town Center has dozens of restaurants including Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Maggiano's, Capital Grille, Cantina Laredo, Mitchell's Fish Market, J. Alexander's, Bahama Breeze, Ted's Montana, the Grape, Pollo Tropical, California Pizza Kitchen, Chipotle, and many more. They average across the board at over $1,000/square foot in business, placing them in the top 3% of restaurants in the country.

SJTC also has 3 clubs: Suite, Whisky River (Dale Earnhardt's new chain bar), and Blackfinn Saloon. Suite and Blackfinn are the creation of a New York investor who opened up these bars in Charlotte and Jacksonville.

SJTC has stores ranging from Louis Vuitton, Tifffany's, Cole Haan, Kate Spade, and Lululemon Athletica to Best Buy, Wine Warehouse, Target, the Apple Store, and Costco.

The whole area has about 2 million square feet of retail space, a hotel, and a couple thousand apartments.

When looking at Facebook activity:
Aventura Mall: 18,794 fans
SJTC: 8,863 fans
Florida Mall: 6,284 fans
Dadeland Mall: 3,514 fans
Mall at Millennia: 749 fans
Dolphin Mall: 397 fans
The Gardens Mall: 9 fans
International Plaza: 4 fans

The Aventura Mall has 2.7 million square feet, 300 stores, a 24 screen movie theater, 18 fast food eateries, and a handful of good sit in restaurants.

Mall at Millennia is about 1.1 million square feet, is 94% leased up, has $1,000/square foot in sales, and has over 150 stores.

The Florida Mall has about 1.85 million enclosed square feet with about 250 stores.

The most visited malls in Florida appear to be:

1) Aventura Mall near Miami
2) Florida Mall in Orlando
3) Saint Johns Town Center in Jacksonville (this could actually be number 2)
4) Dadeland Mall in Miami
5) International Mall Tampa

For sales per square foot the top 10 appear to be:

1) Bal Harbour Shops in Miami
2) Mall at Millennia in Orlando
3) Aventura Mall in Miami
4) The Gardens Mall in Palm Beach
5) International Plaza and Bay Street in Tampa
6) Saint Johns Town Center in Jacksonville
7) Galleria Fort Lauderdale
8) Florida Mall in Orlando
9) Dadeland Mall in Miami
10) Westshore Plaza in Tampa

Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,117,325 times
Also, if you're into the retail business, then you may want to read this article. It is like an interview with the developer of the Saint Johns Town Center, a new (2005 Phase 1, 2007 Phase 2) multiphase mall that is still being built up. The article discusses demographics, mall/retail numbers (like sales, people, etc), reasons for certain retailers locating there, etc. An interesting tidbit: Dillards was in the process of making an upscale version of their store (along the lines of a Bloomie's or Nordstromish level) and they would actually only open at the SJTC if a Target went in nearby. Retail real estate is pretty interesting. Also, did you know that 31% of Costco's customers make over $100,000 a year? The articles has a ton of interesting info. There is still a Phase 3 waiting to happen (will be the most upscale part with a Neiman Marcus or similar department store and other fine retailers).

St. Johns Town Center's success has transformed First Coast retail landscape | jacksonville.com

It also goes into detail about the decision to go open air, the choice of architecture, and the reason to separate apartments from retail rather than putting apartments above the retail. Hint: part of it even has to do with garbage collection schedules.

Edit: Wrong Article, Here it is. Developer Ben Carter: Retail, Movies, Downtown, and the Farm

Last edited by jsimms3; 01-12-2011 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM

thanks very interesting!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM

817 posts, read 2,251,894 times
I don't know about top 5 exactly, but there is no doubt that the Sawgrass Mills Mall is THE most crowded. I used to hate going there when I lived in Ft Laud.

The Dolphin Mall is pretty crowded too.

Others-

The Millenium Mall
International Plaza

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM

810 posts, read 1,579,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfchick311 View Post
Sorry forgot to ask but i was curious as to what type of demographics, younger or older crowd and if mostly locals, tourists or both?
I am moving to Florida in 2 months i wouldnt looking into doing something in retail business and need any help i can get
chongas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida