Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM

13 posts, read 25,199 times

Advertisements

Here's my deal. I am planning to start over in Florida. I want to sell off almost everything I own, get a simple job and move down to Florida.

I have been researching and every time I think I find a good place, I find horror stories. For example, I was looking at Ocala until I read the horrifying threads here!

Other places that caught my eye were Titusville and Deltona.

A bit of info : I will be living with my best friend and his family and I plan to eventually land a zoo job and move out on my own.

I want a place that has :

-A good public transportation system
-Nearby open spaces where I can get away (National Forests are a plus)
-Decent schools
-Decent downtown, movie theatre, mall, etc.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
Getting the job will be the problem. I would first look at places where there are the kind of jobs you want and then pick from those options. There aren't zoos in every city in Florida. Please, make sure you have a job before you come here. We have too many people out of work already. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I am confused you said you will be living with your friend so I don't get how you can pick the place? Are your friends here in FL or you all are relocating together? I am not sure the demand for zoo jobs but maybe you can go online to their websites. I am thinking they would have employment listed. Also some other jobs that may work for you.
I'm not sure about what you meant about starting over but I would look at that because you want this to be a positive start and without a plan and lack of financial funds it may be hard to.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd send out some CV's to all the zoo's in Florida to test the job market in that particular field before you sell everything and relocate as you may end up in Florida with no job and after a while no money..

Public transportation in Florida is non existent outside the urban cores,even there its unreliable.
Ya need a car, in fact you might want a van just in case you end up having to live in it.
Open spaces abound but public transit wont get you there.
Schools? sometimes it depends on the childs motivation to learn.
Downtown areas of most of Floridas cities close up after business hours.

Last edited by jambo101; 01-14-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Job, school, housing. In that order. Always.

It would be helpful if you provided more details about your situation. Kids? Spouse? Spouse need to work?

Are you paying rent with your housemates? Housing budget?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Herper View Post
Here's my deal. I am planning to start over in Florida. I want to sell off almost everything I own, get a simple job and move down to Florida.

I have been researching and every time I think I find a good place, I find horror stories. For example, I was looking at Ocala until I read the horrifying threads here!

A bit of info : I will be living with my best friend and his family and I plan to eventually land a zoo job and move out on my own.

-Decent schools

You might check out Fort Walton Beach in the Panhandle. They have a decent public transit system, excellent schools (one of the top 2 or 3 districts in the state), a nice historic downtown, a very low unemployment rate (lowest in the state) and easy access to parks/recreation (close to Blackwater River State Forest and Conecuh National Forest which is just across the state line in Alabama).

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Herper View Post

One thing to remember is that people with issues and problems are far more likely to voice those issues or problems with any particular thing (be it a book, product, or city), than people who are content and happy. No matter what, do NOT let this forum be your be all and end all in where to live! Take input, but be wary of other people's opinions. Even mine, such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Herper
Titusville does not have a good downtown. It's rundown and depressing. I go there often on business, and I couldn't live there if you paid me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Herper

-Decent schools

If you're not into South Florida, what about somewhere like St. Augustine?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might check out Fort Walton Beach in the Panhandle. They have a decent public transit system, excellent schools (one of the top 2 or 3 districts in the state), a nice historic downtown, a very low unemployment rate (lowest in the state) and easy access to parks/recreation (close to Blackwater River State Forest and Conecuh National Forest which is just across the state line in Alabama).
Pardon my laughter at the use of FWB and decent public transit system in the same sentence. The bus network really exists for decorative purposes only here, and it takes a loooong time to get anywhere if you need to switch buses.

Also not much in the way of zoos here, and what there is, it's going to be extremely low paying. (and housing costs can actually be higher than Orlando or Tampa) Any conservation jobs are civil service, and it's extremely hard to get one of those if you aren't hooked into the good old boys network or can claim veteran's perference.

Don't get me wrong. The FWB area has a lot to offer, but it's a tough nut to crack in some ways, and you've got to be willing to wait tables 2-3 years first if need be before getting one of the good jobs in the area.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
The only place you really would have a chance of making it is in either Orlando (but you'd have to settle on looking at theme park jobs, not just zoos) and in that case you'd have to settle with bad public transit, or South Florida, which has better public transit but less zoo/theme park opportunities.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

13 posts, read 25,199 times
Let me add a bit more information.

All of us will be relocating and I am doing most of the research. 3 Adults, 3 children.

I am hoping to land a zoo job down the line but am looking for a job where I have the most experience right now, and that's in the seafood / grocery business.

I've already had a job offer in Ft. Myers.

Thank you all for the advice so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida