Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 193,809 times

Advertisements

Last parting shot from "The Developer" .....paid $130.00 to TURN our gate passes and amenities cards in. TO TURN THEM IN!!! It was on our HUD and when we questioned it were told that it was mandatory charge. Cripes... Our buyers paid $190.00 to use the postal station box, we paid it when we moved here also. What a racket these people have.

In our POA that "The Developer", genuflect here, overcharged the VCDD for properties we had to buy (community centers etc) over $60 million dollars more that they appraised. AND, he is trying to avoid paying taxes on that amount. Love this place. I want to live in an area with an actual government, not an autocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 PM

32 posts, read 178,093 times
Hey Villager 967 ... I hear where you're coming from and agree with a lot of what you say.

I'm trying to figure out how I can be a reverse snowbird. Get the heck out of The Villages for Jan/Feb/March and live here the rest of the time. I could probably tolerate that, but winters are bad!

Regarding your $190 postal key deposit, I'm pretty sure you can get a refund on that. We did when we sold one place and moved to another. Had to pay for our new house but was refunded for the old one because the new buyer was also paying the $190. Can't remember exactly where we went to do this. Was in some upstairs office in a building at Lake Sumter. I'll look through old records and post again if I find anything. In the meantime ask whoever did your closing.

Good luck in Tampa!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:00 PM

32 posts, read 178,093 times
Villager 967, found some additional info and sent you a direct message.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
my mother in law lived in another over 55 community and from what she said there was a lot of personal drama going on. more women than men if you get my drift...

Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 AM

13 posts, read 193,809 times
Thanks for your help Sam, but, we were told the "familiy" decided to give the $190.00 back ONLY if you purchased another home in the Villages. Isn't "The Family" what the mafia was called???

Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
The best way to enjoy The Villages is to live somewhere else and snowbird (rent) in The Villages during the winter months. Let someone else pay for the free golf!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 20,702 times
Cool LQQKing in Bonita Springs-No golf for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Spruce Creek Golf and Country Club is a nice community just north of The Villages. We considered moving to that area but ultimately chose Fort Myers/Estero/Bonita Springs and am extremely happy with the move. Many affordable communities here too in that price range.
Hi Pinda....
Could you suggest some communities in Bonita Springs that do not have bundled golf and/or equity fees? My husband and I are interested in buying either a condo or a villa in that area but we are not golfers and don't want that added cost. We do however want other amenities like gated, pools, etc etc.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!
cre8ivdeb

Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 PM

258 posts, read 614,590 times
The Villages is a SCAM.

They target blue collar 9-5 factory types in NE U.S. and Midwest. Union workers, working 30 years for large factory plants like Remington and GM. The tricked worked and a lot of Northerners moved down here to Central Florida thinking it was Bora Bora or Hawaii. What they got was filled in swamp land, bugs, over-priced real estate, sweltering 100% humidity, no culture, etc. Some people will believe anything. The Villages made a lot of people behind the scenes very, very wealthy. From what I udnderstand, the original land owners and developers now live in Hawaii. If you really look at the area around The Villages, there's not much there. Throw up cheap cookie cutter housing, add fake ponds, few waterfalls, fancy clubhouse and entrance gate and BAM! You have a the fantasy. I'm a native of the area. Way before The Villages were here, I was here. A lot of people behind the scenes made ungodly amounts of money from the development of The Villages. For example, the chosen garage door company contracted made bank. The majority of people don't want to accept the fact that money is the motivating factor behind everything, and the selling of The Village Life is a fantasy. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not saying you can't be happy at The Villages. You may love living there. If so, more power to you. However, the investment you make at The Villages could buy you a privilaged life in Panama or Costa Rica, or any designated safe Expat community in Mexico. Healthier food, natural juices and cheap labor, and the freedom of less rules and more relaxed lifestyle, not to mention a high abundance of beautiful, slim & feminine women not readily found in the U.S. Sadly, most Midwest and NE retirees simply don't know this.

If people did a little more research and began thinking outside the box ....

Last edited by Mr.Kurtz; 01-04-2012 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
The Villages is a SCAM.

They target blue collar 9-5 factory types in NE U.S. and Midwest. Union workers, working 30 years for large factory plants like Remington and GM. The tricked worked and a lot of Northerners moved down here to Central Florida thinking it was Bora Bora or Hawaii. What they got was filled in swamp land, bugs, over-priced real estate, sweltering 100% humidity, no culture, etc. Some people will believe anything. The Villages made a lot of people behind the scenes very, very wealthy. From what I udnderstand, the original land owners and developers now live in Hawaii. If you really look at the area around The Villages, there's not much there. Throw up cheap cookie cutter housing, add fake ponds, few waterfalls, fancy clubhouse and entrance gate and BAM! You have a the fantasy. I'm a native of the area. Way before The Villages were here, I was here. A lot of people behind the scenes made ungodly amounts of money from the development of The Villages. For example, the chosen garage door company contracted made bank. The majority of people don't want to accept the fact that money is the motivating factor behind everything, and the selling of The Village Life is a fantasy. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not saying you can't be happy at The Villages. You may love living there. If so, more power to you. However, the investment you make at The Villages could buy you a privilaged life in Panama or Costa Rica, or any designated safe Expat community in Mexico. Healthier food, natural juices and cheap labor, and the freedom of less rules and more relaxed lifestyle, not to mention a high abundance of beautiful, slim & feminine women not readily found in the U.S. Sadly, most Midwest and NE retirees simply don't know this.

If people did a little more research and began thinking outside the box ....
Oy vey.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM

258 posts, read 614,590 times
Attention: All Single Reitired Males

Why retire in the US when you could live in South America, if you speak some Spanish. The Villages is an over 65 community. Why date women your own age, when you could be with amazingly beautiful women half your age ... ? Living in Panama or Costa Rica, a mature man over 60 could meet hundreds of attractive women under 30 years of age, no problem.

I say don't conform to the U.S. mindset that says people over 50 have no life left.

If you're a single, viable mature man over 50 - leave the U.S. now.

You'll never regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida