Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times

Advertisements

I would visit again before you decide to move there.

You could also try living in Key Largo, Tavernier or Islamorada so that you would be close enough to the Miami area should you need to go there for a job.

The problem with the Keys is that it's one road in and one road out. Speed varies along the road and if there's traffic, forget about keeping your schedule unless you leave a long ways in advance. If you cannot find a job in Key West than you are very much out of luck because the Lower Keys have very little and the drive, as described above, can hamper going other places on a regular basis for work.

It's a shame you didn't post this earlier because the National Parks Service had a posting for a ranger at the Dry Tortugas. 10 days on, I think, 4 off or something like that. Anyway, you lived out at the fort for the days you worked and in Key West when you were off. Sounded like a cool job. I'm not sure if it's still posted or not, you can check USA Jobs to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 PM

13 posts, read 18,363 times
Honestly it doesn't matter if I live in the Keys or just near them, as long as I can have that "island" feeling. LOL. I didn't even think about Key Largo or Islamorada though, will definitely have to look into them more. Like I said before, I don't mind working service types of jobs as long as I can afford to live and at least be somewhat comfortable (ie: able to do things once in a while). But the vast majority of my time off would be spent lounging on the beach.

I will definitely have to check out that job you were talking about, Coconut1. That actually sounds really cool. I think honestly the hardest part about being able to move down there is going to be the employment factor. It seems as though unless you have an incredibly invaluable skill (ie: you're a CCIE or some type of extremely sought after engineer and all), the chances of landing a job without being down there are slim to none at best.

I have a friend who lives that that was a Key West police officer but even after she left for a year and came back she wasn't able to get back on with them. I spoke with a recruiter for the KWPD but he said that spots are hard to come by and out of state candidates have to be sponsored. At best they could schedule all of the testing for the same day, 2 at most but it would still be extremely difficult.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
You want honest-here goes...

Your dream about Key West is really the same as everyone else who wants to move there. Nothing wrong with that.

There are many other threads that all have the common elements you have:need employment, cheap housing, no job skills, good intentions, shorts and flip-flops everyday. You want the beach bum island lifestyle. Who doesn't?

I lived there for a few months on a temporary work assignment.

Those who live there all post the same thing. It's very expensive. No jobs except the service/tourist industry which doesn't pay well. You'll need two jobs and live in a dump. And that will be just getting by.

If you choose to move there you'll be surrounded by folks who want the same lifestyle you do. That's why they are there.

Have you looked in the paper?

KeysNews.com

Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 18,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
You want honest-here goes...

Your dream about Key West is really the same as everyone else who wants to move there. Nothing wrong with that.

There are many other threads that all have the common elements you have:need employment, cheap housing, no job skills, good intentions, shorts and flip-flops everyday. You want the beach bum island lifestyle. Who doesn't?

I lived there for a few months on a temporary work assignment.

Those who live there all post the same thing. It's very expensive. No jobs except the service/tourist industry which doesn't pay well. You'll need two jobs and live in a dump. And that will be just getting by.

If you choose to move there you'll be surrounded by folks who want the same lifestyle you do. That's why they are there.

Have you looked in the paper?

KeysNews.com
Oh I already know about everything you're saying. You aren't telling me anything I don't know for myself or haven't heard before. Honestly, the idea of living in a little trailer in Key West or even an RV somewhere actually sounds appealing to me. An apartment? That would be nice, but more than what I need. I've looked at a few papers but I really think it's just going to be a matter of saving up all that I can and taking the plunge. One light at the end of the tunnel that I did find though is a website regarding the Keys which said that a lot of business owners have a hard time finding year round help because the majority of the people there are vacationing (even if for extended vacations) so having someone who is moving there and planning on staying they like. So knowing you are living there will put you a little ahead of the tourists and vacationers. The downside is like I've seen in many posts regarding employment down there (and in any small islands environment like that, it's the same in the Outer Banks where I vacation in North Carolina). There is a major "good ole boy" mentality. So it isn't necessarily what you know, but who you know.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
Regarding your most recent post, I agree, it's going to be something where you just need to save up a little bit and take the plunge. I lived in Key West last winter and had a great time. You can bike or walk everywhere, I think I filled up my truck with gas twice in six months, and that included a trip up to Miami and back. The island 'feel' is definitely present and unless you're the most cynical person in the world you'll feel it too while you're there.

There's definitely a 'good ole boy network' but it's really for the city/county government type jobs. You're almost certainly going to start in the service industry so it shouldn't be an issue. There's a lot of turnover in that industry so if you're a hard worker, show up on time without being hungover (sounds like that won't be a problem for you), you'll be ahead of 90% of your fellow employees. There are tons of hotels, bars, restaurants, etc, just get cleaned up, make yourself very presentable and start walking into them and asking about jobs or applications. Check with the grocery stores maybe (hey it's a job).

Check craigslist for folks who want roommates, that's a good way to get a start because you can generally rent month to month while you find your way around town. Unfortunately there aren't any shacks on the beach anymore. Up in the Big Pine Key area you can find some shacks on the canals, but then you're looking at a 20-30 mile commute to Key West each day. Better off to start on the island if you can.

Good luck with whatever you do and if you do make it down there drop a note on your thread here to let us know how you enjoy it.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 AM

376 posts, read 910,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm sure there are people living there that are in a similar situation to you. If you are willing to possibly work two jobs and have roommates and less than stellar living accommodations, I'm sure you will find something.

However, you might consider one of two options. Living "elsewhere" in Florida that is beautiful and on the ocean that has more job opportunities, or living somewhere else that is by the ocean.

Personally, as much as I LOVE Key west (and I do, make no mistake), I would much rather live in Ft. Meyers Beach and have a little nicer place to live with no roommates and maybe a better selection of a job. Or, I would be very happy to live on St. Padre Island and live and work in Port Isabel where I could live very well on a modest income - and yet enjoy the beach as much as I wanted to (except at Spring Break, when I would be someplace (anyplace) else.)

Key West is paradise, no doubt. But Paradise is not always the best, or the most practical place to live. Think too, that what if you HATE living there? Then your paradise will be shattered! Better to live someplace else and visit paradise on a regular basis.

JMHO

20yrsinBranson
We debated on living on Key West but opted for Sanibel Island ~ Ft Myers Beach has the KW Express that gets you there in 4 hours. On Sanibel, we bike everywhere, esp. in season.
Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida