Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,676,646 times

Advertisements

In Florida, there are kids serving life without parole, some from age 15. I find that a horrible thought. What a waste. But, if this kid goes to prison for many years, what can he do when he comes out ? No skills, may be. He would have become instituitionlized. Too sad to comtemplate. And, then there is the life of the officer....another life wasted.

Is there a link of where the parents are on welfare ? I didn't see that. I do believe the parents did right by urging him to come forward. Kids make mistake, some more far reaching than others as in this case. Sometimes, the parents just didn't get a handle on things early enough.

I find this all very sad and I am usually a raging death penalty advocate but, some of my attitudes are changing about that. Especially after the people who have spent many years incarcerated and then they have been proven innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM

515 posts, read 1,184,499 times
Winston Churchill had something to say on the general issue:

"The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crime and criminals is one of the most unfailing tests of the civilisation of any country.

A calm and dispassionate recognition of the rights of the accused against the state, and even of convicted criminals against the state, a constant heart-searching by all charged with the duty of punishment, a desire and eagerness to rehabilitate in the world of industry all those who have paid their dues in the hard coinage of punishment, tireless efforts towards the discovery of curative and regenerating processes, and an unfaltering faith that there is a treasure, if you can only find it, in the heart of every man these are the symbols which in the treatment of crime and criminals mark and measure the stored-up strength of a nation, and are the sign and proof of the living virtue in it."

Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM

26 posts, read 87,977 times
There is no parole in FL. How do you live in FL yet not know the laws? Unreal.

And for Murder in the First Degree there is ONLY two options - life in prison and the death penalty.

for minors they cannot get the death penalty.

if the Murder 1 charge holds(which it will) then Nick will get life in prison.

There can always be a plea for murder 2.

Either way, FL has NO parole... yes I know this thread is old, but I am here to correct ignorance when it comes to FL laws.

and I won't event begin to rip on the "safe haven in prison" bs comment... such utter ignorance,

Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,720,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Christ View Post

And for Murder in the First Degree there is ONLY two options - life in prison and the death penalty.

Either way, FL has NO parole... yes I know this thread is old, but I am here to correct ignorance when it comes to FL laws.

and I won't event begin to rip on the "safe haven in prison" bs comment... such utter ignorance,
I think the Florida Parole Commission might disagree with you about there being no parole in Florida.
Sentencing guidelines may have done away with it for crimes committed after 1983 but there are still prison inmates that can get out on parole.... yes I know this thread is old, but I am here to correct ignorance when it comes to FL laws

Old 04-30-2011, 09:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,215,914 times
No amount of "gun control" is going to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals. We've been fighting a "war on drugs" for decades and there is more drugs out there today than there ever was.

People on welfare are human beings and have the same rights as anyone else. The system that is in place rewards more kids, so long as they all have different last names.

Nobody "sits comfortably in a jail".

The death penalty exists. It does not to be "restored".

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That's what happens where there is no gun control, you can deny it all you want but these are the street facts!

The other sickening thing is to allow ppl on welfare to reproduce!!!!!!!!!
no job, no care or concern to be a decent citizen, yet they sit comfortably on welfare, get fat and have a million kids who overcrowd jails! Now THAT'S smart!!!!!!!!

I completely agree that the death penalty should be restored, this is ridiculous these guys kill innocent people and then they sit comfortably in a jail with food and roof over their head paid by tax payers or the relatives of their victims!! Unreal..... that this is allowed.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,215,914 times
You need to check your facts. Doing Time in Florida Prisons

Quote:

Old 04-30-2011, 05:27 PM

26 posts, read 87,977 times
AGAIN. There's no parole, period.

Crimes committed after 1983 makes up the MAJORITY of inmates behind bars. Less than once percent get released yearly on parole(aka committing the crime before 1983/1984). and out of the 103,000 inmates, around 5-6 percent are parole eligible for those reasons.

and since 1994 or 1995 a life sentence means life, plain and simple.

There's NO parole nowadays, it's not relevant today with new trials... in about what 20 years when all that are left from the 80s die off, they will officially remove the board unless they restore parole.

Either way, there's no parole, you both knew what I meant, plain and simple. Nick Lindsey will never leave prison if the Murder 1 charge sticks. I'm not sure if you can depart from guidelines on a murder 1 charge...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,720,801 times
Quote:
AGAIN. There's no parole, period.

Crimes committed after 1983 makes up the MAJORITY of inmates behind bars. Less than once percent get released yearly on parole(aka committing the crime before 1983/1984). and out of the 103,000 inmates, around 5-6 percent are parole eligible for those reasons.

and since 1994 or 1995 a life sentence means life, plain and simple.

There's NO parole nowadays, it's not relevant today with new trials... in about what 20 years when all that are left from the 80s die off, they will officially remove the board unless they restore parole.

Either way, there's no parole, you both knew what I meant, plain and simple. Nick Lindsey will never leave prison if the Murder 1 charge sticks. I'm not sure if you can depart from guidelines on a murder 1 charge...
I thought highlighting the relevant sentences of your post may make it easier to understand yourself.

If you are going to call people ignorant you may want to make sure your own posts are up to snuff. You make a definitive statement that "there is no parole, period" and 2 sentences later you admit that there are inmates released on parole every year.

I would have probably passed right over your first post had you not started calling people ignorant but I just love pointing out the irony of some of the posts around here.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 AM

7,747 posts, read 12,690,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I know the law was changed for teenagers but this one for sure deserves the death penalty and not life with parole since someone will say he deserves a second change.

Look at his facebook picture....
Login | Facebook

Btw what about the parents...they should be investigated aswell! JMO

You can also find the picture under Nicholas Lindsey scumbag that someone put up on facebook. This guy is nothing than a thug and shouldn't get released EVER!
Oh wow. Where is your compassion?! He's only 16! It that kind of life is all he's ever known, how could you expect him to be any different? He's not going to change unless he gets serious help and education! I know he murdered a human being. There is nothing worse on Earth!! But we need to remember, that even beneath all that hatred and anger that killed the cop, is a human being like the rest of us! And he needs love and compassion to change his ways! Most of all, he needs God! I'm praying that the Lord convicts him of his ways and shows him the path his life is on. I pray that he sends people around him who will show him the way of Christ and lead him to turn away from evil thug life style and repent of his ways and live holy. Even for a murderer, there is forgiveness by the father to come into the kingdom of God. I can't even imagine what the officer's poor family is going through. Lord help them in this horrible time.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,338,304 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida