Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,067 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family wants to move from cold New England to somewhere warmer in Florida near the coast with a lower cost of living, and plenty of business opportunities. I would love to get a bigger house, for less than what we sell our house in New England for. I am a patent attorney, which is a Federal practice and means I can practice anywhere, and I have clients all over the US. However, I would like to be relatively close to a major city, because I do end up getting a lot of local clients. My wife loves the ocean, and wants to be close to the beach (but not necessarily on the beach). We have a 16 month old baby, and thus good schools are important. So in summary, this is our dream list of what we would like:

1. Lower cost of living than New England;
2. near the beach;
3. warmer weather than New England;
4. good schools;
5. opportunity for getting patent and trademark clients (individuals and/or businesses);
6. not too far from a bigger city.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi all,

My family wants to move from cold New England to somewhere warmer in Florida near the coast with a lower cost of living, and plenty of business opportunities. I would love to get a bigger house, for less than what we sell our house in New England for. I am a patent attorney, which is a Federal practice and means I can practice anywhere, and I have clients all over the US. However, I would like to be relatively close to a major city, because I do end up getting a lot of local clients. My wife loves the ocean, and wants to be close to the beach (but not necessarily on the beach). We have a 16 month old baby, and thus good schools are important. So in summary, this is our dream list of what we would like:

1. Lower cost of living than New England;
2. near the beach;
3. warmer weather than New England;
4. good schools;
5. opportunity for getting patent and trademark clients (individuals and/or businesses);
6. not too far from a bigger city.

Thanks in advance!
Your criteria point to several areas. For a city with excellent schools, low crime, near the ocean, offering a low cost of living and proximity to a bigger city for clients and business travel I'd recommend Satellite Beach, which is 45-60 minutes southeast of Orlando on the coast. There's also a secondary airport in nearby Melbourne (10-15 minutes) which is served by Delta and USAir.

Satellite Beach

Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your criteria point to several areas. For a city with excellent schools, low crime, near the ocean, offering a low cost of living and proximity to a bigger city for clients and business travel I'd recommend Satellite Beach, which is 45-60 minutes southeast of Orlando on the coast. There's also a secondary airport in nearby Melbourne (10-15 minutes) which is served by Delta and USAir.

Satellite Beach
My husband has a thriving Patent/Trademark practice in Fort Lauderdale. DM me if you want more information.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Off topic a hair here, but I'm in the beginning stages of applying for a patent. Are there threads or people who can answer basic questions? Thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:56 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
I think the best response would be:
  1. Which airports in FL offer best airline service to WAS? (Assuming WHERE US Patent Office Agency offices are located)
  2. What are the industry trends for patents now and which Universities (Public/Private) in FL focus on this research or field?
  3. Can you do a location search for recent Patent Applicants (not their atty's address) for FL? (Then I guess you know where the bulk of them live to open an office to serve them.)
  4. What is your competition in these locations you've identified?
  5. Then focus on your OP request based on those locations (once you tell us)!
Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 03-13-2011 at 01:10 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 AM

I would suggest contacting a patent attorney, many give a free initial consultation. Look here to find a registered patent attorney: https://oedci.uspto.gov/OEDCI/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Off topic a hair here, but I'm in the beginning stages of applying for a patent. Are there threads or people who can answer basic questions? Thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks Daytona. I actually am leaning towards Sarasota now. I can remotely interact with most of my clients and with the Patent Office. And Sarasota is driving distance from miami, orlando, jupiter. what do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I think the best response would be:
  1. Which airports in FL offer best airline service to WAS? (Assuming WHERE US Patent Office Agency offices are located)
  2. What are the industry trends for patents now and which Universities (Public/Private) in FL focus on this research or field?
  3. Can you do a location search for recent Patent Applicants (not their atty's address) for FL? (Then I guess you know where the bulk of them live to open an office to serve them.)
  4. What is your competition in these locations you've identified?
  5. Then focus on your OP request based on those locations (once you tell us)!
Good Luck!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Thanks Daytona. I actually am leaning towards Sarasota now. I can remotely interact with most of my clients and with the Patent Office. And Sarasota is driving distance from miami, orlando, jupiter. what do you all think?
I think you should get the car on the road and take drives to Miami, Orlando and Jupiter from Sarasota and let us all know how that was for you!

Also, be sure to fly into SRQ when you attempt it!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 AM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
blakesq: I am also looking to move my business to FL with children, and have been told that although Sarasota is a quality place, it has a large percentage of seniors (65+) that gives Sarasota an "old" feel. Many have pointed me toward Jupiter.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM

The median age in sarasota is 1 year older than the median age of my town here in CT. And the median age of CT is 2 years younger than the median age of Sarasota. Doesn't seem like it should be too big of an adjustment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
blakesq: I am also looking to move my business to FL with children, and have been told that although Sarasota is a quality place, it has a large percentage of seniors (65+) that gives Sarasota an "old" feel. Many have pointed me toward Jupiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida