Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:55 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times

Advertisements

Well, after much discussion, debate, My Wife and I will be heading over to meet the realtor , take a final look at the house we are interested in, and will make an offer. 2PM we will be at that house. Some real concerns though.

Our offer is going to be low. No matter which way you slice the bread, qualified, interested buyers are a scarce commodity in this market and we know it. One of our fears is that no matter how low we offer, that it's summarily rejected, or worse, it's accepted and the value of what we buy is even less next year ( actually we think it WILL be less)

Another is selling our home. We don't NEED to sell it but if we buy this other house, we definitely do not want to have 2 houses. We met with 2 realtors in the last week, one says price it at X, the other priced it real similar but one said to raise the commission to 8% . Hence a big drop in price in addition to an increase in commission. Anyone hearing of 8% commissions??

What we think we would do is list it at the standard commission and "help" with the advertising/marketing of the house. Making up nicer flyers, internet marketing etc. Can you all make suggestions as to where to list the house online? I remember Bamboosmom selling her house in Punta Gorda and She used an online listing service, I think in addition to her realtor. Can you all make recommendations please?

Thank you for any help/advice/recommendations/referrals you can lay upon us.

Mr T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 09:24 AM

363 posts, read 1,360,604 times
I use Naples MLS Fort Myers, Port Charlotte, Sarasota, Englewood Flat Fee MLS Just $250 it is $250 for a one year listing and you pick the commission to pay the selling agent.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks! But that's automatically done when listing with a realtor yes? Can you recommend any other online listings services ?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:40 AM

363 posts, read 1,360,604 times
I am sorry, I don't understand your question?!?

You use an online listing service to avoid paying a full 6%, 7% OR 8% commission. If you list the home on the MLS (using a flat fee listing service like the one I suggested), you just need to pay the realtor who actually sells your home, so that you stay competitive, I would give no less than 3% in this market After you have paid the $250 (or whatever fee they charge) to get you on the MLS, you are on your own and don't owe the listing agent anymore money.

I have also used Flat Fee MLS & FSBO Florida Discount MLS Listing Service and both were good experiences except this company wanted to charge me for making changes to my MLS listing and he charged more for a longer MLS listing and for more pictures posted, whereas the other one does not. He may have changed this as I have not used him since last year.

Of course, if a buyer comes without a realtor. You would owe NO commission.

You can buy a keycode lockbox from Home Depot.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 PM

We are not interested in trying to sell the house ourselves. We'll list with a realtor. But we would like to help market the house to TRY and get maximum exposure. Hence the question.

Meanwhile, we went, looked again to make sure and made an offer in writing.

Tick tock

Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
Craig's list. If you type craigslist.org into your address bar, it will come up with the closest geographical craigslist to you. I'm guessing it will be sarasota.craigslist.org or fortmyers.craigslist.org. If you want to check to see if there is one that suits better, or create a listing in a different one, click on Florida in the right -hand list and select from the various craigslists listed. List your property under Real Estate for Sale in the Housing section.
You can include pictures.

I'm planing to do the same thing to help my kids sell their Okeechobee house. I have already helped the real estate agent compose a better ad and a more enticing description, and it has resulted in 5 phone calls in the past couple of days. I'm going to add a craigslist ad, design a flyer for pickup at the house, and created a large, descriptive sign for the property, which is on a major road with lots of passing traffic.

Good luck with your offer. Remember that some people are not in a position to accept a low offer.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Anyone hearing of 8% commissions??
If a realtor asked me for 8% I'd want to know what they were just smoking !

Seriously, I would not even entertain the discussion. In fact, I'd see it as a sign of trouble with that realtor. Sure, they'd "settle" for somewhere in the 5-6% range, but when the house doesn't sell, they'll blame it on you instead of their lack of marketing effort ("well, I told you to spend 8%").

I'd call some other realtors.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:31 AM

21 posts, read 74,674 times
MrTudu

Wish you the best on both of your transactions.

We have just finished the sale on our hvac business and hope to have our house on the market this coming week. We have considered going fsbo and maybe offering 4% to the buying agent if it doesn't move after a while. If we do list with a realtor, I think I would rather put more money and effort into advertising our home than give it to a realtor. IMO they make more than than enough for the quality of their advertising and showing of the houses. Some earn every penny but alot do not.

Al

Old 07-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone. Our offer on the house has been rejected. The house has been for sale for a year+ and we are the only offer on it. Our offer which in my opinion was quite realistic all things considered was not only rejected, there will not even be a counter.

They are not being realistic at all.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Our offer which in my opinion was quite realistic all things considered was not only rejected, there will not even be a counter.
Isn't that amazing when it happens (no counter offer)? I guess you hurt their feelings !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida