Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,169,529 times

Advertisements

U.S. counter terror officials are warning of an increased risk of an attack this summer, given al-Qaida's apparent interest in summertime strikes and increased al-Qaida training in the Afghan-Pakistani border region. On Tuesday, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told the editorial board of The Chicago Tribune that he had a "gut feeling" about a new period of increased risk. He based his assessment on earlier patterns of terrorists in Europe and intelligence he would not disclose. "Summertime seems to be appealing to them," Chertoff said in his discussion with the newspaper about terrorists. "We worry that they are rebuilding their activities."

Should we be worry?

Will this affect your travel/vacation in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
I personally think the cruise industry is a potential target though more so abroad than in the U.S. My last cruise was before 9-11 to the Bahamas and the docks in Nassau have no practically no security and vehicles can easily drive all the way up right next to the ship and the only security are from the ship itself.

Yes the tourist industry can be a target for those attacking our country though I doubt that summer is a favorite season for the enemy as they will try to attack us whenever it can be done. Yes, the London attacks were in the summer was 9-11 was in the fall, Madrid was in the spring, and attacks happen in Iraq year round.

The 9-11 attackers did have surveillance of Disney World, and Central Command in Tampa directs US military ops in the Middle East. I guess just like everywhere else, Florida needs to just be alert.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,500,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I personally think the cruise industry is a potential target though more so abroad than in the U.S. My last cruise was before 9-11 to the Bahamas and the docks in Nassau have no practically no security and vehicles can easily drive all the way up right next to the ship and the only security are from the ship itself.

Yes the tourist industry can be a target for those attacking our country though I doubt that summer is a favorite season for the enemy as they will try to attack us whenever it can be done. Yes, the London attacks were in the summer was 9-11 was in the fall, Madrid was in the spring, and attacks happen in Iraq year round.

The 9-11 attackers did have surveillance of Disney World, and Central Command in Tampa directs US military ops in the Middle East. I guess just like everywhere else, Florida needs to just be alert.
Since 9-11 Nassau Port Authority has tightened their security and cars are not allowed to drive up onto the pier any longer. They have the Royal Bahamas Military personal manning the gates and they have changed the way people come off the ships now. No one is allowed to even walk on the piers to shore, it is all blocked off, you have to now go through the Nassau Tourism buildings.

Back when we lived in Nassau, we used to walk onto the pier all of the time to go and see my friends that worked on ships.
I also used to work on the Disney Magic and my husband (boyfriend at the time) used to drive all the way on the pier to the ship to pick me up twice a week when i was in port there.

I think the security is excellent now as we were just in Nassau last summer.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,659,475 times
We're hated because of our freedom.

HAHAHAHAHA

Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 PM

656 posts, read 1,376,253 times
I bet they'll hit a shuffleboard court in Naples.

Dirka Dirka Mohammed Jihad!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Rico, IMHO the only way it'll affect the tourism industry is if there IS an attack or one is thwarted. That would put a scare into people wanting to attend the amusement parks. Or the other scenario for scaring off tourists would be if they were messing with airplanes again. So many of us have to use air travel to go to Fla. and I know it'd make me postpone a trip there and I'm sure there are a few others who would feel the same way. But as long as there isn't an actual attempt, I honestly don't believe the warnings would have an affect on tourism.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times
I was of the opinion that we already train them in flight and diving certification; I didn't think they'd terrorize the state that trains them....

But seriously, between what our own government won't tell us and what little they do leak, you've got to realize that we don't really live in a "true" democracy...every little detail is carefully scrutinized before appearing on our tv or in our news......

Don't forget, Bush was down here in Sarasota when the twin towers fell, and he was safe.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,492,720 times
The most obvious destinations in Fla that have the potential to be attacked would be Disney, Universal, Bush Gardens etc.. They bring in the most people and thousands of lives could be lost if all were attacked in say the same day at different intervals.. That to me would be where we should be very careful and security should be beefed up. You have to figure these people at the theme parks are on vacation, they're worry free and they're not gonna be paying much attention to "odd" behavior as their attention will be on characters, rides, shows etc. It sickens me to think they would bomb, or whatever they do to the parks and kill many innocent but i guess its never not an option.. Great point about the cruise ships also. I agree there.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,146,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
The most obvious destinations in Fla that have the potential to be attacked would be Disney, Universal, Bush Gardens etc.. They bring in the most people and thousands of lives could be lost if all were attacked in say the same day at different intervals.. That to me would be where we should be very careful and security should be beefed up. You have to figure these people at the theme parks are on vacation, they're worry free and they're not gonna be paying much attention to "odd" behavior as their attention will be on characters, rides, shows etc. It sickens me to think they would bomb, or whatever they do to the parks and kill many innocent but i guess its never not an option.. Great point about the cruise ships also. I agree there.
Right on. London, case in point. You have to remember, terrorists are trained that this act they are doing is for their people and they totally believe that their death is inconsequential.

We definitely need security that has been trained for terrorist activity, not just the local police, if they can't bust the drug dealers, when they know where they live & who they deal to, how in the world can they spot a terrorist, who looks just like you or me?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 AM

656 posts, read 1,376,253 times
Disney or a nuke plant would make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida