Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times

Advertisements

^ correct in some ways regarding why Cubans vote GOP. They also vote GOP because they are anti-Castro and the GOP has courted them ever since Reagan stood in Little Havana & said "Cuba SI, Castro No!" That of course is waning as Cubans are now into their 3rd. & 4th. generations and the younger ones such as myself did vote for Obama.
A lot of politics in Florida is also geared by the elderly populatiion which seems to be more Conservative but are losing population in the state. The demographics for Florida tend to spell that the future will favor the Libs as the population gets younger, and more immigrants & minorities keep moving into the state.
Couple of notes, Rick Scott won the state by 61,000+ votes only. That is not a mandate considering he spent $75 million of his own money. Statistically his win was miniscule over Alex Sink.
The other is that Obama won Florida by carrying only 16 counties out of the 67 counties Florida has. He also had that largest vote total of any Southern state winning by 250,000 + votes over McCain.
I consider Florida to still be a swing state that eventually become more liberal in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You're right, why would FL want what CA or NY have? A bigger, more prosperous economy? Who needs it! A better transportation infrastructure? No way! More rights for everyone, not only those who happen to be the majority at the moment? Over my dead body!

Here's a better solution, how about you leave because we're here to stay whether you like it or not, and FL will change for the better because of it.
More rights? CA and NY are some of the biggest nanny states in the country

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,330,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
More rights? CA and NY are some of the biggest nanny states in the country
How so?

Old 04-13-2011, 02:34 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
Actually, it's the Red states that suck down the federal (including welfare) money. Bunch of deadbeats if you ask me.

Ezra Klein - The red state ripoff

Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
How so?
Taxes on everything. NY has recently tried (and failed) to pass a soda tax. NYC recently banned trans fats in the use of food. NY has pretty much attempted to quash smokers by passing the highest cig taxes in the country, and have prevented them from pretty much smoking anywhere.

I am not a smoker myself, nor do a I like soda or trans fats, but there are plenty of examples of the nanny state culture of both of those states.

IMO, a more "free" state would be something like NH, AK, or WA.

New Study: America's Most Liberal States Rank Least Free | The Next Right

The Least Free State | Mercatus

Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,309,548 times
Quote:
NY has pretty much attempted to quash smokers by passing the highest cig taxes in the country, and have prevented them from pretty much smoking anywhere.
I heard that a pack of cigarettes costs $10 within the NYC city limits. That's insane!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Do you understand there isn't just one type of "liberal"? Many people, myself included, are socially liberal, but fiscally conservative.

I'm happy for people to go smoke whatever they want and marry whomever they want, just don't use my taxpayer money to fund your lifestyle, that's all.
A native Floridian with ties to most of the south, registered Democrat who does not vote party lines. As was said above, socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I think our current governor just wants to cut monies, whereever. Isn't that the job. I have teacher friends, teacher clients, teacher relatives and I think they should have to pay some of their pension cost and some of their medical costs. Why should they be different than the private sector ? And that "drop" program was a rape of system and sooooo many were doing it. I think it is funny when people start acting like public employees are sooo special and especially teachers. I have two teacher clients who took advantage of the drop program and also several police officers I know. Here in Lakeland, it has become a local scandel.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 PM

114 posts, read 279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
A native Floridian with ties to most of the south, registered Democrat who does not vote party lines. As was said above, socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I think our current governor just wants to cut monies, whereever. Isn't that the job. I have teacher friends, teacher clients, teacher relatives and I think they should have to pay some of their pension cost and some of their medical costs. Why should they be different than the private sector ? And that "drop" program was a rape of system and sooooo many were doing it. I think it is funny when people start acting like public employees are sooo special and especially teachers. I have two teacher clients who took advantage of the drop program and also several police officers I know. Here in Lakeland, it has become a local scandel.
did any of your teacher friends ever have a chat with you regarding your spelling?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,330,113 times
Quote:
Taxes on everything. NY has recently tried (and failed) to pass a soda tax. NYC recently banned trans fats in the use of food. NY has pretty much attempted to quash smokers by passing the highest cig taxes in the country, and have prevented them from pretty much smoking anywhere.

I am not a smoker myself, nor do a I like soda or trans fats, but there are plenty of examples of the nanny state culture of both of those states.

IMO, a more "free" state would be something like NH, AK, or WA.

New Study: America's Most Liberal States Rank Least Free | The Next Right

The Least Free State | Mercatus
I had a big reply typed up but when I came back to this page my iPad refreshed it on its own and lost it all

I need to get to bed since I leave early tomorrow for a trip... If I have time I'll come back and retype it.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
I had a big reply typed up but when I came back to this page my iPad refreshed it on its own and lost it all
LOL. Mine does the same damn thing, and don't even get me started on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida