Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Over half of the gay (and lesbian) people I know vote republican, including myself. Democrats don't have the GLBT community in Florida brainwashed like they do in other states.
Gee, there's nothing like voting against your own self-interest, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
BTW outside Rick Scott Republicans are pretty moderate in Florida, it's not Texas or Kansas.
Allen West and Marco Rubio are moderate?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Are you joking? DWS is practically a shill for liberalism from what I've seen.
Thank God for that. We need someone to balance the nutcases like West and Rubio.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Rick Scott won the state by 61,000+ votes only. That is not a mandate considering he spent $75 million of his own money.
Which begs the question...why?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Ask the average taxpayer in CA NY or NJ what public sector unions have done in those states to property, sales and income taxes.

Unions vs. Taxpayers - WSJ.com

I have no love of greedy wall st. execs, but greedy public sector unions get no love from me either.
Well, since the WSJ is a Rupert Murdoch tool, take what you read in it with a grain of salt.

And non-uniformed public sector workers make less than comparable private sector workers (trust me -- I was one for 32 years. If I'd been in the private sector, I'd have made twice what I made as the administrative assistant to 5 city council members). The benefits balance out the lower salaries.

And public employees in NJ pay into their pensions -- which is more than the cities, counties, and state do. They've been on pension holidays for years. And Christie Whitman raided the pension fund, and never paid it back. So instead of blaming the people who do the work -- blame the politicians (who also get pension benefits for what is invariably a part-time job).

Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 PM

343 posts, read 1,046,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
It's as if there is a total disconnect between our demographics and our voting habits - as if 85-year-olds in Charlotte County are the only ones showing up to vote.
There ya go. When you go vote, who do you see? Personally I see great, wandering crowds of the near-dead when I go to the voting booth.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Why the hell are we fighting over this?! Our state has been perfectly fine for DECADES being swing!! It's the OP that wants to turn us against each other and try to start fights so we can turn into another freakin' California or New York. I'm sick of that political crap going on here in the south. I'm glad Texas has alot of republicans but we fight against California all the time and we disrespect each other for our political beliefs. Recently I was so caught up in politics that I disrespected someone who holds liberal beliefs in Idaho because I was always fighting with liberals from California in the political section of the forum. It was my defense mechanism I had developed against them and this person was telling me how rude I was and that they were not all the same. I felt so stupid and low-class that I had to resort to name calling because of someone's political party or beliefs. I had forgot that outside of California, most people are relatively normal and respectful of each other's political party and beliefs. I can't wait to get back to Florida where everyone basically minds their own damn business about what you or your momma represents. Florida needs to remain a swing state. We love the gays, we love the jews, we love the senior-citizens, we love the hispanics, and everyone else that represents the majority of votes for whichever party. Things are run just fine in Florida. We respect each other and we get along and that doesn't need to change. I refuse to listen to the OP any longer because he is clearly someone of a radical and extreme political belief that is attempting to stir up trouble between us Floridians as he can. Don't bite his bait.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-23-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 09:23 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Gee, there's nothing like voting against your own self-interest, is there?
So basically your trying to say that the gays don't know what they want? That's just shows the kind of person that you are. You won't even admit to being wrong. Because you hold liberal beliefs, you think that the gays automatically hold your same beliefs? That's ignorant. You need to get out of Marion County and see how their living down south. Orlando, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale are full of gays enjoying and living life who also happen to vote republican. They obviously know what they want and what is working for them. You are just angry and bitter that they are not brainwashed into being radical left-wing liberals like yourself who have dominance over the state. It will never be enough for you that Florida doesn't have one party representing the state over the other. We all can't get along because people like you want to dominant others choices and what they do.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So basically your trying to say that the gays don't know what they want? That's really pathetic and shows the kind of person that you are. You won't even admit to being wrong. Because you hold liberal beliefs, you think that the gays automatically hold your same beliefs? Silly broad. You need to get out of Marion County and see how their living down south. Orlando, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale are full of gays enjoying and living life who also happen to vote republican. They obviously know what they want and what is working for them and you have a problem with it?
I'm pretty sure she was just wondering why a group of people would continue to vote for a political party that consistently tries to deny them rights.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
florida is SO transient it isnt even sure what its demographics are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida