Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 07:28 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,910 times

Advertisements

My wife is from Indian Rocks Beach Florida, and although I would like to relocate to that area, she wants to move to the Keys.

I love the Keys as well and we both like Big Pine Key and it's proximity to Key West.

I want to buy a canal front building lot with permit in place and build a new home. I have found several lots for sale with permits in place on Big Pine, but all the neighborhoods look somewhat "junky".

We would prefer a neighborhood that is on par with the canal subdivisions in the Clearwater/St Pete area (like Isle of Palms/Isle of Capri on Treasure Island). Those neighborhoods have nice old homes from the high 300's all the way up to million $ plus infills.

Is there a neighborhood in the Keys that is on par with the Clearwater/St Pete canal front subdivisions? I know there are a lot of high dollar Keys waterfront neighborhoods, but it seems that it is either feast or famine(very nice of not nice at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Many of the longtime residents of the Keys are/were working class so their homes may not meet the standards of gentrification. If you want to live in the Keys remember that the character of the Keys comes from the "junky" people. There is not water to waste on lawns, so the yards can become desert like in the dry season.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,412 times
check out sugarloaf. the homes on the canals are nice and well maintained but your looking at 400k and up...as for lots good luck you might have to wait to build....make sure before you buy a lot that you don't have to wait several yrs. key haven is also super nice !

Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
If you want to save yourself a big hassle, buy a lot with an existing house on the lot. this will allow you to tear down the existing house and begin building without having to wait for a permit to be issued or approved as long as you have a Monroe county preapproved set of building/blueprint plans. this advice is due to the fact you are replacing an existing structure already counted in the growth plan you are not building a new structure! Try to find one with an existing seawall as all new seawall construction has to be approved (or so I am told)by the army corps of engineers. most importantly if you buy a lot with a building permit in place find out when it expires how long do you have to build or start construction? do not trust what the seller or his agent tells you go to the county and find out for yourself and get it in writing! remember the keys are an area of critical concern which places a lot more restrictions on building. try to find a house lot that is not on the FEMA list otherwise you cannot build a house bigger than 1500 sq ft of living space.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
My wife is from Indian Rocks Beach Florida, and although I would like to relocate to that area, she wants to move to the Keys.

I love the Keys as well and we both like Big Pine Key and it's proximity to Key West.

I want to buy a canal front building lot with permit in place and build a new home. I have found several lots for sale with permits in place on Big Pine, but all the neighborhoods look somewhat "junky".

We would prefer a neighborhood that is on par with the canal subdivisions in the Clearwater/St Pete area (like Isle of Palms/Isle of Capri on Treasure Island). Those neighborhoods have nice old homes from the high 300's all the way up to million $ plus infills.

Is there a neighborhood in the Keys that is on par with the Clearwater/St Pete canal front subdivisions? I know there are a lot of high dollar Keys waterfront neighborhoods, but it seems that it is either feast or famine(very nice of not nice at all).
Pine Channel Estates is probably exactly what you want. The homes there are very well-kept and for that reason, it's probably the most desirable and expensive neighborhood on the island. Another plus is that you can quickly enter and exit US1; Key West is 5 minutes closer than it would be if you lived in Eden Pines or The Avenues and 10 minutes closer than it would be if you lived in Port Pine Heights.

Last edited by Marlin331; 05-14-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida