Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:14 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
No, they're not. That's a myth. There are 4 high schools in St. John's county and only 2 have A ratings. The other two are rated C & D.
UGhhhh, the "A" rating, once again, is totally useless. Look at actual test scores. I understand St. Augustine high is'nt all that great though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
posed here 'where are the good schools'? I still haven't seen an answer.

I've never seen anyone on this forum be able to point out a county in Florida and say "this county's school system is good". Not 'the school for my neighborhood is good' (even I can do that), but county-wide, 'this is a top-notch district'. Does one exist? Where all the schools in the entire system are A or B rated?
1. The "A or b" rating is useless. Do some studying into actual test scores, graduation rates, SAT Scores, etc
2. Every single high school in Seminole County was ranked among newsweeks top 1000 high schools. Theres your all A-B district.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
UGhhhh, the "A" rating, once again, is totally useless. Look at actual test scores. I understand St. Augustine high is'nt all that great though.
St. Augustine currently has a "D" rating and Pedro Menendez has the "C".

It's only Nease and Bartram that are good and those are the two that all the new development feeds into, so there's the potential for overcrowding (I believe it's already begun at one, but I don't have any numbers for you - it's just what I've heard and seen on the news, etc.).

I am looking at the test scores, they're listed along with the ratings, and the test scores for those 2 high schools are pretty bad.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
1. The "A or b" rating is useless. Do some studying into actual test scores, graduation rates, SAT Scores, etc
2. Every single high school in Seminole County was ranked among newsweeks top 1000 high schools. Theres your all A-B district.

1) But the rating system isn't useless.....it's what parents have right now as a gauge. It's not the end all/be all, but it's not useless, it's a tool. The test scores are usually given alongside the rating itself.

2) So K-12 in Seminole county is ALL rated A/B? (that was the question I posed)

Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
1) But the rating system isn't useless.....it's what parents have right now as a gauge. It's not the end all/be all, but it's not useless, it's a tool. The test scores are usually given alongside the rating itself.

It's a tool as long as you understand that your child is not necessarily going to get a good education in an "A" rated school. That is the problem. People like me who are thinking of relocating look at the "A" rating and think it's going to be decent when the actual test results are abysmal.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
It's a tool as long as you understand that your child is not necessarily going to get a good education in an "A" rated school. That is the problem. People like me who are thinking of relocating look at the "A" rating and think it's going to be decent when the actual test results are abysmal.
I know B schools with higher test scores than A schools. And yes, every school in Seminole County was at least "B" rated.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I know B schools with higher test scores than A schools. And yes, every school in Seminole County was at least "B" rated.

And that's where the FCAT score rating system is a tool - you have to use it to dig deeper and get into the details - some B's will have better test scores than A's.....it IS possible. With the C and D rated schools, you don't even need to bother, the rating system has done it for you (seriously, you wouldn't even look, right?).

If Seminole county can manage to have all B-rated or better, then there's something to be learned there. It's a smaller, more manageable county than Duval's, for example, with far less schools, but I bet Duval could learn a thing or two.......we can only hope .

Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post

.........and THAT'S why people don't relocate to Florida for the schools .

Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 PM

25 posts, read 187,236 times
If you want a more laid back place to live in Florida I would suggest the West Coast of Florida. Things are much more calm there and still has a little taste of the "Old Florida". Central Florida is nice and has Disney World and tons of things to do there but in my opinion is not a quiet place to live. South Florida is really nice and lots of things to do but is very expensive to live and gets hit by hurricanes the most. There are parts that are not as expensive like Sebastian, Vero Beach which are quiet.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,314 times
Thank you all for your replies.

I had lost my post and where I posted it.

All of you are a great help.

Since Florida is not great with schools as quoted above, can anyone suggest a state to relocate with 4 sons? We are looking to rent and would like a decent size home. Somewhere where my husband can transfer within his company at Comcast. A safe place , family oriented, yet affordable.

Considered Maine but I don't know about all the damn snow and cold.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida