Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 38,218 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data.com,

In a few years, I am planning on moving to South Florida with a few relatives, and I would like a few tips on the best areas to live there. Currently, I have Coral Springs in mind but due to my limited experience I would like more suggestions. Here is what I look for in a place to live;

What I'm Looking For;
Nice, hot weather year round.
Good Scenery, preferably suburbs.
Safe, mostly-white neighborhoods.
Low Hurricane Levels (places such as Miami, Coral Springs, and East-South Florida qualify for this).
Low-Medium Population (30,000-100,000 give or take)

What Is Not As Important;
Big Home Prices (We are looking to spend around $750,000 for a home, hence price is not an issue)
Job Market (I run a full time internet business, other relatives already have jobs.)

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I just need a few suggestions to put in consideration. If you believe that I have chosen the right city (Coral Springs), let me know as well.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkyasp View Post
Hello City-Data.com,

that doesnt exist, stay well north of west palm to get anything close to that demographic. south of west palm its like moving to a 3rd world country with some gated communities mixed in, no joke

Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 PM

179 posts, read 565,898 times
Default Are You sure You are referring to South Florida???

I mean the south Florida I am familiar with is a little different than what you are describing, and as far as the mostly white we are very much a melting pot of all nationalities, (Coral Springs ) included.
Hurricanes??? I have no idea where people get the preconceived notion that the further west of the coastline you are, the less likely you have to worry about hurricanes. Florida is a peninsula, and as such, with all taken into consideration, some hurricanes top 3 hundrend miles in diameter, with an eye covering 100 mi. across (as Francis in 2004) and a storm like that can cover the entire state from coast to coast, (as she did) so to say you want a safe place, from hurricanes, not Florida. I'm in PB County, and work in Broward just east of Coral Springs. It is very nice, but....
It's a gamble, the, homeowners insureance proves it.
Give us a better discription of what you want

Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out Coconut Creek.

Coconut Creek, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
In Broward County you could try:

Parkland-Mostly White. Nice area. Be careful of Chinese Drywall. Good public schools.

Parts of Coral Springs-The nice parts of Coral Springs are very nice. Check the public schools. Some are better than others.

Weston-Here it really depends on your definition of white. The population of Weston tends to be white, but many whites are from South American countries. I lived in Weston for 10 years and enjoyed my time there. The best public schools in Broward. If you are planning on using the public schools limit yourself to Weston and Parkland.

Parts of Plantation-There are lovely parts of Plantation. I currently live in Plantation Acres. The public schools are not very good once you get past elementary school. Most residents in the more expensive neighborhoods send their kids to private schools at least for middle/high school.

Parts of Davie-The western part of Davie is really nice. Western HS is not that great although elementary and middle schools are ok. If you look at the higher end developments most residents send their kids to private school for high school.

Cooper City-I have to admit this is only on the list because if I don't recommend it people will say "what about Cooper City?" The schools are ok in Cooper City but I just don't like it there. It's a personal thing with me so you will have to look there and see for yourself.

SW Ranches-Custom homes on large lots. Really nice. I think the schools are ok there but I am not sure. The kids used to go to Weston schools but they built a new HS (West Broward). I have heard good things from parents (my kids play sports in Weston where there are many SW Ranches kids).

Old 04-30-2011, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 21,956 times
Hmmm...hot weather, nice scenery, and "safe, mostly white neighborhoods..."

This may be a little further south than you're thinking, but how about South Africa, circa 1948 through about 1992? Between the Population Registration Act, Group Areas Act, Public Safety and Criminal Amendment acts, not to mention the Native Resettlement Act, I think your priorities should be pretty well covered.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 PM

413 posts, read 819,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
that doesnt exist, stay well north of west palm to get anything close to that demographic. south of west palm its like moving to a 3rd world country with some gated communities mixed in, no joke
This kind of blatant racism should not be allowed on this forum

Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 PM

413 posts, read 819,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkyasp View Post
hello city-data.com,

in a few years, i am planning on moving to south florida with a few relatives, and i would like a few tips on the best areas to live there. Currently, i have coral springs in mind but due to my limited experience i would like more suggestions. Here is what i look for in a place to live;

what i'm looking for;
nice, hot weather year round.
Good scenery, preferably suburbs.
Low hurricane levels (places such as miami, coral springs, and east-south florida qualify for this).
Low-medium population (30,000-100,000 give or take)

what is not as important;
big home prices (we are looking to spend around $750,000 for a home, hence price is not an issue)
job market (i run a full time internet business, other relatives already have jobs.)

i apologize if this question has already been asked, but i just need a few suggestions to put in consideration. If you believe that i have chosen the right city (coral springs), let me know as well.

Thank you for your time!
miami

Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkyasp View Post
Hello City-Data.com,

In a few years, I am planning on moving to South Florida with a few relatives, and I would like a few tips on the best areas to live there. Currently, I have Coral Springs in mind but due to my limited experience I would like more suggestions. Here is what I look for in a place to live;

What I'm Looking For;
Good Scenery, preferably suburbs.
Low Hurricane Levels (places such as Miami, Coral Springs, and East-South Florida qualify for this).
Low-Medium Population (30,000-100,000 give or take)

What Is Not As Important;
Big Home Prices (We are looking to spend around $750,000 for a home, hence price is not an issue)
Job Market (I run a full time internet business, other relatives already have jobs.)

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I just need a few suggestions to put in consideration. If you believe that I have chosen the right city (Coral Springs), let me know as well.

Thank you for your time!

Anything south of Lake Okeechobee, i.e. Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties, where cold snaps in the winter usually last no longer than a week.

Good Scenery, preferably suburbs; safe, mostly-white neighborhoods; low-medium population (30,000-100,000 give or take)

In Palm Beach County, Jupiter, Palm Beach, Boca Raton; in Broward County see post by Momma_bear; in Miami-Dade, Pinecrest, Coral Gables. Scenery meaning, of course, either a lot of trees or the beach.

As for the population aspect, realize that the tri-county area, amounting to some 7 million (?), is basically one huge sprawling suburb all connected by a grid-type road system, largely undistingiushable from one municipality to another, with a few exceptions and even those in isolated spots. However, technically, many of these municipalities have populations of under 100,000.

Actually this comment is not as daft as seems at first glance. The main hurricane path runs across Hispaniola and Cuba in the Caribbean, brushes the Florida Keys, and into the Gulf of Mexico: the Florida panhandle and westward into Texas and northeast Mexico are more at risk, and direct hits on the Atlantic Coast are relatively rare.

However, they do happen, even as far north as the Carolinas (exception is Jacksonville attributale to its geographical configuration), sometimes in quick succession, like in 2004-2005, and this is reflected in homeowner's insurance rates. For a $750,000 house, you may pay as much as $15,000 per year, depending on any number of factors.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 05-03-2011 at 04:07 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 20,635 times
we just moved to Weston and I feel like i live in Venezuela. They are all rude, ignorant and loud people. They don't hold doors, they don't say excuse me, the smoke everywhere (including in front of the YMCA), they are loud and obnoxious. I wish they would deport them all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida