Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM

103 posts, read 432,491 times

Advertisements

I have lived in southwest florida all of my life and my husband and I are interested in relocating further north. We are considering northern states, but also feel that we should consider north florida. I am an nurse and my husband works for coca cola in sales. We have 2 young children- so good schools are important as well as lots of options for things to do for young families. We are looking for a small town with somewhat close proximety to a bigger town or city. We like rolling hills, lots of trees. We want a quant town with friendly people. Any advice you can give?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 AM

345 posts, read 976,388 times
Any particular part of North Florida (i.e. Panhandle, Northeast, North Central?)

If no particular area, I would simply recommend DeLand, where I went to college at Stetson University for four years. Charming and vibrant downtown area, lots of scenery, and you get some culture with Stetson in town. You are only 20-25 minutes from Daytona, 45 minutes to Orlando, and 1 1/2 hours from Jacksonville. Also, you are close to DeLeon Springs, Blue Springs, Lake Woodruff and the Ocala National Forest, so if you are big into nature, it's a great place to go.

Also, I'd recommend Gainesville, but I don't know if that really qualifies as a "small town." More like a large town/small city.

North Florida is great--no need to leave the state!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicilyb View Post
I have lived in southwest florida all of my life and my husband and I are interested in relocating further north. We are considering northern states, but also feel that we should consider north florida. I am an nurse and my husband works for coca cola in sales. We have 2 young children- so good schools are important as well as lots of options for things to do for young families. We are looking for a small town with somewhat close proximety to a bigger town or city. We like rolling hills, lots of trees. We want a quant town with friendly people. Any advice you can give?
I don't know how small a town you want, but have you considered Lakeland or a small town in Polk County? There is a major Coca Cola distribution center in Lakeland which is a fantastic small city, but if it's too large there is Lake Wales or Winter Haven, Bartow, etc. within a 20-30 minute drive. Lakeland has the added benefit of being between Tampa and Orlando. It has beautiful rolling topography (some of the highest land in peninsular Florida), heavy tree canopy and numerous beautiful lakes. The town is sparkling clean with well preserved historic districts and great people. We just love it!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM

47 posts, read 157,558 times
Default How about Central??

Ok, I don't live in Florida yet, although I will be relocating in January! My parents and siblings lived in St. Cloud, Kissimee and loved it. Half an hour away from Disney, but just so you know, there is not a lot of night life going on. Very quiet, safe from what I know, but quiet. ON the other hand, the parents of a very good friend's just moved to Port St. Lucie about 5 months ago and absolutely love it there. They said its a drive for major stores and restaurants, but they were looking for a quiet place to live. If thats what you're looking for. . . hope I helped you some, good luck

Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 PM

131 posts, read 184,061 times
We live in a Great little community.... Niceville, Fl ( and yes, it is nice!) minutes from the beaches of Destin, Eglin AFB, and Ft Walton Beach. I would recommend this place to anyone with a family. Low, Low crime. great schools.
This is a very clean, family oreinted place. We were lucky to stumble on it.
We have raised our son here without fear of gangs, etc that come with alot of areas.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Default How about Micanopy or Yulee?

For hills you might want to try out towards Tallahassee, there aren't too many hilly areas out towards the Ocean.

A tiny town that I love is Micanopy. It's right outside of Gainesville, so you'd have the amenities of Gainesville and it's also within a good driving distance to St. Augustine and Jacksonville.

Yulee could also be a good option. Commuting to Jacksonville for work is a possibility (it's not a short commute, but some people do it). You'd also have Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island right there. So, great beach access, all the basic shopping you'd need in addition to boutique shopping (Amelia), plenty of restaurants (Fernandina) and you'd also have all the big city options in Jacksonville.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:

Towns close to Pensacola might be a good choice: MIlton, Pace, Gulf Breeze, Cantonment, etc. Pcola has a Coke distribution facility.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:26 AM

103 posts, read 432,491 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Some of them I've never even heard of. Hubby and I have talked about going for a long drive around central amd north florida towns to get a feel for them. It's funny- I was born in southwest fl , have traveled all over the U.S., But have never stopped in towns in North FL or panhandle. Does north fl have the big influx of immigrants that south fl does?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Quote:
Does north fl have the big influx of immigrants that south fl does?

I don't think so. I live in Inverness west central and very rarely to i see immigrants other than those who are working but again, very few.

North FL is the backwoods of FL if there is any backwoods left. There is a lot of rural area up there once you go past Gainesville and Lake City area. Coming home once we decided to just take some backroads home and we were quite suprised how much land was still open up there. I assumed most people drove to Jacksonville, Gainesville or Lake City for work because there really wasn't much else around.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
For what you are describing, look at Alachua, just north of Gainesville, and the Tallahassee area. Both of these areas have some beautiful rolling hills - not what you'd typically expect in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida