Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel comfortable letting your young child walk home from school or the bus?
Yes, it happens everywhere, so this incident does NOT make me think twice 11 29.73%
No, I will not let my child walk home from school, never have, never will. 21 56.76%
I used to be comfortable with it, but too many incidents have occured, so from now on, they will NOT walk home from school. 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 AM

91 posts, read 183,581 times

Advertisements

As many of you may already know, there is another, and I repeat, ANOTHER missing FL child, who may have been abducted in Orange Park. I can tell you that as a new parent, letting my kid(s) walk home from school or the bus in the state of FL (not that it cant happen anywhere), is not something I would consider.

My wife and I are both FL natives, and we do plan to leave the state soon. There are many things we like about FL, but things like this (missing, abducted children) is on the news WAY too often in FL. How many times are we going to be on the news for these incidents? I know it has been discussed time and time again, some saying these incidents happen way too often in our state, while others defend and say it happens everywhere. But come on, this has happened AGAIN in our state. How many times are we going to be the topic on Nancy Grace, and far more importantly, WHY does this keep happening in FL, and WHAT ON EARTH can the police do to solve this problem?

So my question is, do you feel comfortable with your kids (assuming they are young) walk home from school or the bus? And if you do, does the headlines that keep occurring here in FL make you (or are they now making you) think twice? I pray that this little girl comes home to her parents. As a new parent, I cant even begin to imagine what the parents are going through.

Last edited by Guitar Gyro; 10-21-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Just let your kids go walk alone when you get to North Carolina.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,715 times
I wouldn't even let my kids play out in the front yard here in Florida by themselves.

It truly is a different world down here when raising children from what I am used to in suburban CT.

I thank God that I am getting out of here so my children can have the kind of childhood that my wife and I had, and that and our friends and families children are currently having in CT now.

But hey, thats just me.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Don't you both live in Orlando? Also, just curious if you would let your kids play alone on your front lawn in New Haven or Hartford, in a "nice part" though.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,863 times
I would not let them walk home alone from school. Not at 10 and 6. Ever. Here in Minneapolis they are permitted to play outside with other neighborhood children while I am in the house (albeit checking outside every 5-10 minutes) and in the backyard. In Florida - I would not have permitted that.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
No kids personally yet, but the local elementary school's bike corral is overflowing with bikes whenever I drive past during school hours.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Also, just curious if you would let your kids play alone on your front lawn in New Haven or Hartford, in a "nice part" though.

Thankfully in my case, that is a question I can answer with a big NON APPLICABLE.

Although, I am trying to think of any recent non-parental child abductions in CT, and I'm drawing a blank.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 PM

I live in a "nice" area of Orlando (32828). And I wouldnt, atleast not now after living in Orlando, and watching the local news (and state).

Old 10-21-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Thankfully in my case, that is a question I can answer with a big NON APPLICABLE.

Although, I am trying to think of any recent non-parental child abductions in CT, and I'm drawing a blank.
Actually, it's applicable because

1. Connecticut has 1/5th the population (although no doubt a lower rate of incidents)
2. Don't you live in Conway or somewhere around there? That's equivalent to living in a "nice part" of Hartford or a nice part of any other bad area.

Point being, it's not a fair comparison.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Do you NOT watch the news? How many times are we gonna see FL on CNN headlining abducted and missing children? Have you seen a state in the last 5-7 yrs get more coverage than FL? Is any other state even come close? Be honest with yourself - FL is in the news WAY more than NC is regarding this issue, and not sure why you are comparing the two anyway, this isnt about any other state - it's about FL's constant issues regarding abducted and missing children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida