Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,449 times

Advertisements

hello!
i am a young mother with two small children (2 & 5), my boyfriend, me and our lil family is really trying to get out of washington. we have gone through a lot in the last year and need a change of scenery and lifestyle. we have looked at other states but always keep coming back to florida, just something about the culture and weather keeps bringing us back to look at it.
Sarasota sticks out the most, we don't want to live in too big of a city, but not to small either. and we are very active, hiking, backpacking, swimming, motorcycles all outdoorsy stuff, plus i am really into dance. so we need a pretty diverse area, that is still pretty kid friendly. we will be taking a vaca down to florida this july or august and want to get an idea of what cities to look into while we are down. any suggestions and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated so that we can start planning asap. Thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymariea View Post
hello!
i am a young mother with two small children (2 & 5), my boyfriend, me and our lil family is really trying to get out of washington. we have gone through a lot in the last year and need a change of scenery and lifestyle. we have looked at other states but always keep coming back to florida, just something about the culture and weather keeps bringing us back to look at it.
Sarasota sticks out the most, we don't want to live in too big of a city, but not to small either. and we are very active, hiking, backpacking, swimming, motorcycles all outdoorsy stuff, plus i am really into dance. so we need a pretty diverse area, that is still pretty kid friendly. we will be taking a vaca down to florida this july or august and want to get an idea of what cities to look into while we are down. any suggestions and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated so that we can start planning asap. Thank you all!!!
Sarasota is definitely a nice small city with big city amenities, beautiful beaches and arts and culture.

However, it would help if we knew your budget and will you have/need employment? You can read up in the Sarasota forums and get a lot of good infor there as well.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
They are both servers and will need employmemt.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...alifornia.html

The responses on the California forum are so similar it is scary.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,449 times
gypschic-ya we are saving up money and don't plan on moving until we have atleast a few thousand saved, and we will need employment.
RMD3819- haha ya i decided against cali tho. i did more research and even the cheapest areas were a lot more expensive. florida (the areas ive looked at) are more close to the area i am living in now.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Take a look at my post in this thread. A lot of people found it helpful. Keep in mind I'm trying to be helpful and not critical.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...l#post12226054

And look at my video:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ad5paRXNWVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With all that said, you could really move to any of the metro areas and find what you want. The key is jobs that pay enough to survive.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,792 times
Please find a way to be happy where you are. I don't have to tell you the kind of money servers make. Jobs here are scarce. Living near the coast can be expensive. Moving to Florida is not a kind of therapy. It is hard and you won't have any support system here. Our state is full of people just like you and they are as miserable here and they were in the town they moved from. The problems come with you and then, too frequently, get worse.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 PM

400 posts, read 738,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

And look at my video:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ad5paRXNWVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Your video is GREAT! I'm still laughing.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
Your video is GREAT! I'm still laughing.
Thanks! I got the idea from someone in the Alaska forum.

The issues are eerily similar.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 AM

817 posts, read 2,251,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Please find a way to be happy where you are. I don't have to tell you the kind of money servers make. Jobs here are scarce. Living near the coast can be expensive. Moving to Florida is not a kind of therapy. It is hard and you won't have any support system here. Our state is full of people just like you and they are as miserable here and they were in the town they moved from. The problems come with you and then, too frequently, get worse.
Take this person's advice. No offense to the OP, but we really don't need yet another family of unwed parents with rugrats coming here with the expectation that the good life awaits, and that you can do well on server salaries, spending your off-hours hiking, beaching, and having loads of fun in the sun.

Unemployment here is over 10%, and while the hospitality industry is huge here, it's seasonal....and we're coming into the off-season right now. Even when it's tourist season, those jobs can be hard to get. A few years ago, anyone could wave a job app at a restaurant and get a job. Not now. And the money you make is not that great to begin with, so even if you find jobs, it's not like you'll be living high on the hog.

As the person I quoted said, moving to Florida because "it feels right" will not cure whatever it is you are running from. Look at the part I bolded and consider what is best for your kids, and not just because it's what you think sounds fun or whatever.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Take this person's advice. No offense to the OP, but we really don't need yet another family of unwed parents with rugrats coming here
Real classy. Cretin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida