Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,176 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Let me introduce myself: I'm a 19 year old Swedish guy studying to become an engineer in computer science in Stockholm, Sweden. I will take the bachelor degree and the master degree here before I move and try my luck in USA (this means 5 years from now, so I'll be moving ~2015-2017 from Sweden to USA).

I love jazz and classical music, games, sports, beaches and good food.

I have been looking on pictures of Gainesville and also been reading a little bit about the area.

Is there anything I need, should or could know in advance? Like for example what to think of when choosing city, anything particularly good or bad with Gainesville, if I need to apply for some kind of permit or anything else.

BTW: I'm really, really tired of the Swedish mentality and the cold weather ... so I think Gainesville would be perfect seeing the coldest it gets there is the warmest it gets in Sweden.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Why Gainesville? It's primarily a college town, so you might feel a little left out moving there at 24. Also, since it's a smaller city, there might not be too many jobs for a computer science engineer. You might want to start researching some of Florida's bigger cities for a job like that.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Computer science engineer? think Disney World or NASA for the job and Orlando or Daytona/Cocoa Beach area for the residence.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM

52 posts, read 113,522 times
Maybe think Tampa, Clearwater or S. Pete... They are bigger and more techie and young areas. Also, Gainesville is very pretty and a nice town. Literally, the people are very nice! Choose what you want and I hope you find a good job. Welcome to FL!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze View Post
...if I need to apply for some kind of permit or anything else.
Yes you most definitely need both a visa and a work permit to move to and work in the U.S. Being an EU citizen it would be much easier to move to and work in an EU country like the U.K. the weather there is not very nice though :-)

I am a Swedish computer programmer moving to central Florida (Orlando or St. Pete) in 2012 myself. I have a much easier time getting the required permits since I am married to an American woman who I have been living with in Sweden for a couple of years. The easiest way for you to get a work permit would probably be for you to get your masters degree from a University in the U.S.

Apply for an F1 visa to study in the U.S.

Graduate from your program.

Apply for OPT allowing you to stay in the US to work for a year.
[url=http://studentaffairs.utep.edu/default.aspx?tabid=53465]Optional Practical Training[/url]

Find a company that is willing to sponsor you for an H1B-visa so you can stay longer then one year.

You could always apply for the diversity lottery. If you are lucky you might win a green card. The only problem is that you would have to move to the States within six months of winning you green card. So there is not much point in applying until you are about two years into your Bachelors Degree.
[url=http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/]Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery[/url]

Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
Wait 5 years and ask us again. You might change your mind between now and then and this place will not even be the same as it is now. Gainesville would be a good choice if you want to use your skills working in a medical setting or university. Teaching is big here because of the University of Florida and Santa Fe College. We also have 3 hospitals and they employ alot of IT folks. For example, at the VA hospital, all medical records are electronic - no paper files, so I'll bet you'd find a job. Gainesville is a nice size, close to touristy things, but it lacks a tourist feel. We really enjoy living here. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida