Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Viewed as a better school by who? One source? People in the south? And please don't cite rankings that rate universities based on perceived best value compared to their cost. That's like saying a haphazard education is okay if it was cheaper than the Ivy League education.
By any ranking site you will find. Go ahead and hit up google.

If I was talking value then UF is always second place to UNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's exactly what we ran into. A bunch of guys living with relatives who had no incentive to find work when they could fish or play video games all day instead. Cost us a bundle.
The problem seems to be with your relatives who encouraged that behavior.

I somehow doubt that those guys thought hey we are getting $275 every week and lets crash at our relatives and make their lives miserable...

Guess what, with Rick Scott's proposal they will be out of that money in 12 weeks and you'll have to fork even more...

Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
The problem seems to be with your relatives who encouraged that behavior.

I somehow doubt that those guys thought hey we are getting $275 every week and lets crash at our relatives and make their lives miserable...

Guess what, with Rick Scott's proposal they will be out of that money in 12 weeks and you'll have to fork even more...
Where did I say they were my relatives? They were employees that we laid off after we finished a large project.

And trust me, they did exactly that. A few of them are relatives of other guys who didn't get laid off, and we heard all about it.

And again, the lower number of weeks is directly tied to lower unemployment, so when the unemployment rate is 2% if they can't find a new job in 12 weeks, too freaking bad.

Learn how to read.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They were employees that we laid off after we finished a large project.

A few of them are relatives of other guys who didn't get laid off, and we heard all about it.

Learn how to read.
Again, post something from your own experience and it adds value and NOT something from hearsay.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Again, post something from your own experience and it adds value and NOT something from hearsay.
What's not about my own experience. Some of these guys would even stop in to visit and say they were waiting for us to call them back and weren't looking for work. We paid a huge u/e liability for them to do nothing but fish and play video games. Or is that hearsay as well?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Well if Dick Scott has his way your 9 year old will soon be going to school with 50 kids in a classroom, no extracurricular activities, under-qualified/under-paid, miserable teachers, etc. The schools will be dirty because he is reducing janitorial staff's hours. And the FL state universities (if your child can even get in with the crappy education he/she will have received) will be charging almost as much as private universities.
They don't need an education to work in the fields, only the Rich will be getting an education in GOP Third World America

Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
You obviously know nothing about college. And by the way, all 3 of my degrees are from good private schools (MBA is very highly ranked). How many students go to college without paying for room and board in one way or another? Most universities require first year students to live in their housing and buy a full meal plan. So therefore it is a cost of college. In many cases it plays a huge factor on where students go to school because the cost can be so high.

I did not say state universities are expensive- I said they will become expensive if we keep increasing tuition and they will no longer me price competitive. As far as your numbers for state universities- most private universities charge a flat tuition rate that allows 36 credits a year, not just 30. So USF's new rate for 36 credits is $7k, private in FL averages $27k according to your source (and by the way I'd be willing to bet that the average in FL is actually lower since we don't have any Ivy Leagues). $7k times 5, which you claim is the correct multiplier, is $35k. FL tuition would not have to go up by 500% to match private universities.
When I moved to Tennessee I seem to remember FSU charging somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,500 or so for tuition alone while the school I ended up going to, Tennessee State University, charged $2,300.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Well Rick Scott is laying off 1,300 state workers. And you should see some of these salaries for those who like to argue and say FL doesn't have low salaries.

One guy has been working for the state for 19yrs and is making less than 25K a year as a Fiscal Assistant 2.

Others are making under 30K a year in jobs like Community Service Officer after 15yrs on the job.

These salaries are a joke compared to other states. They're from the 1970s.

No mention of any severance packages either, but they qualify for the big $275 a week UE benefit, one of the lowest paying in the country.

Let's get to work!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Layoff the guys making the piddly amounts, but not the ones making $250K+ Makes sense...NOT.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:25 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No mention of any severance packages either, but they qualify for the big $275 a week UE benefit, one of the lowest paying in the country.
And now for less time, because things are getting so much better according to Governor Alien-Face. Florida Gov. Rick Scott signs law cutting unemployment insurance « The Fifth Column
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida