Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Sad to know that people are comparing getting pedicures to having a roof over your head and feeding your children.
You said "quality of life."

If you are talking about basic necessities, say so, but that isn't what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
/sigh.......This governer. How did this happen! Florida! We swung the wrong way! lol.

I am moderate in my politics, but I just can't understand Rick's actions. I actually used to be very conservative in unemployment benefits. I do believe they are are a dis-incentive to find work, but in times like this when Florida has such an extreme lack of jobs how can he cut those benefits?

Two of my good buddies just almost lost their apartment a couple of weeks ago. They got a loan from another friend so they are good for month. Their unemployment benefits ran out so they couldn't pay the rent. They were even living without electric the whole month. These friends of mine looked(one of them still looks) for jobs EVERY day! They were so depressed about being unemployed. One of them even has 2 children to support. These early 30 year old men were applying to Chipotle for God's sake. One of them finally found work at a cafeteria, but the other is still looking for work.

Always remember with unemployment benefits that if you don't prove to the government that your looking for work, then you don't get the pay check. Just going through that hassle alone is stressful enough for someone to not want to be on the rolls.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You said "quality of life."

If you are talking about basic necessities, say so, but that isn't what you said.
Since we were talking about families living on $100 bucks a week, I figured it was self-explanatory.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
If you don't like it, move to a state that will pay you much more in government handouts. California, for example, will pay you $450 a week indefinitely, plus free food and maybe a housing voucher or two.

Then again, their full (U-6) unemployment rate is over 20%, but it sure beats working!
In CA every worker pays into UE insurance. It is a deducted from their paycheck just like Social Security, state, and federal income tax.

So someone who has worked for 5, 10, or 20 years has paid into the system over the years.

Don't know what you mean by free food, if you mean food stamps you have to have no savings in the bank.

So someone who gets laid off who even has a few hundred dollars in a checking or savings account will not qualify.

And it is not never ending, it is based on tiers.

The number of weeks vary from state to state depending on the unemployment rate.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Since we were talking about families living on $100 bucks a week, I figured it was self-explanatory.
Not everyone who is unemployed is a "family" or the sole supporter of that "family."

Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
In CA every worker pays into UE insurance. It is a deducted from their paycheck just like Social Security, state, and federal income tax.

So someone who has worked for 5, 10, or 20 years has paid into the system over the years.

Don't know what you mean by free food, if you mean food stamps you have to have no savings in the bank.

So someone who gets laid off who even has a few hundred dollars in a checking or savings account will not qualify.

And it is not never ending, it is based on tiers.

The number of weeks vary from state to state depending on the unemployment rate.
Food stamps is not as means tested as you imply. You can have a million dollars in your retirement accounts and it won't be counted against you when applying for most benefits. They also don't count your home, cars, and a number of other personal possessions including jewelry. You can also have cash in the bank up to a certain amount which is determined by your monthly expenses.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Food stamps is not as means tested as you imply. You can have a million dollars in your retirement accounts and it won't be counted against you when applying for most benefits. They also don't count your home, cars, and a number of other personal possessions including jewelry. You can also have cash in the bank up to a certain amount which is determined by your monthly expenses.
I don't know how thoroughly they check in FL, but in CA they verify bank accounts.

I knew someone who was living off very little(it was family members who were covering their rent) and they received food stamps. They were in poor health due to complications from diabetes.

They applied for and after a year or so got Social Security Disability. It was around $700 a month, as soon as they started receiving it their food stamps were reduced by more than half.

IDK where you get information, because even an elderly person who needs to go into a nursing home is subject to a five year look back on assets if they try and get Medicaid assistance.

You can't hide anything unless you're keeping it in the mattress.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
The whole red vs blue thing, I think is a joke, as well. Issues should be all that matter.

I am amazed to hear about all the lazy bums in the world. I don't think anybody likes "entitlement" programs. However when the "govt" actions create such an environment that it is a problem for you to take care of yourself then often you have no choice, except to die, I suppose.

I am sure many think that is a good idea also, what w/ all the useless "eaters" just draining everything. Maybe an easy euthanasia would be kinder, for dogs it is considered humane.

I mean bottom line. Jobs were sent overseas on purpose. There are more people who want to work than there are jobs. With lack of funds available even working for yourself can be difficult.

The government gets it's wealth from the people. Without them they would have nothing.

Anybody I know that had to try and get Disability, had to wait and sue. Cases that should have been black-n-white.

Regarding food stamps. This varies by state, but assets are used often such as your car. I believe Florida counts your car as an asset currently.

Limits on Assets When Applying for Food Stamps | eHow.com

Regarding the question about unemployment numbers. The way they were calculated was changed in 90's.

Alternate Unemployment Charts

Regarding, real financial situation of a state check out the CAFR not the budget for the State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compreh...nancial_report

Old 06-29-2011, 04:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
not sure how this is Tampa related

Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Not sure what you are addressing, but all the information I posted can be applied to FL and Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida