Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:55 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

What do you suggest as an alternative solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And are any of these gvmnt spending cuts going to affect you?,if so what sacrifices are you willing to make for the benefit of the state.
My point is its kinda easy to call for all manner of gvmnt services to be cut when you arent really getting anything personally cut, could be different if part of your income were being slashed or your lively hood were being cut
I have several friends who have worked for the county and state in some capacity and have had their jobs cut,i doubt they share your enthusiasm about job cuts to save the state.....
Also this Republican governor is in a small way giving a hint as to what the Republican party will do if elected to presidency next year slash and burn baby,cut everything,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What do you suggest as an alternative solution?
If you are expecting some magical post from me thats going to solve Floridas problems it aint gonna happen.
I'm not an economist but i'd suggest the governor hire the best one he can and stop trying to boot the old and the poor off medicare and SS.If Scott thinks he's going to solve Floridas problems on the backs of the poor and the old it aint gonna work .
From my perspective i;d focus on cutting gvmnt waste. Raising taxes, institute a goods and services tax,and find some way of creating more jobs.
In the mean time those that have are going to pay for those that dont have one way or another whether they like it or not, its just the way it is.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:29 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
I've been keeping an eye on Scott since his election because he scares me.

Look at how he is screwing up Florida's water districts. Look at how he has tried to push through bills that will transform one of the big tourist draws from environmental park locations into huge golf courses. It was the national media who drew attention to that idiocy.

Look at how many folks in state government he has fired and replaced with idiots who have no clue what their job is. He didn't even promote from within. What a brain drain.

I really hate to see this happen to one of our most beautiful states.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 68,510 times
Certainly had enough $$ to invade Iraq and look for non-existent WMD's.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM

45 posts, read 67,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
Look into the CAFR -- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, and you will see that most states keep two different sets of books.
I believe these 2 sets of books you're referring to are the Governmental Fund Financial Statements and the Government-Wide Financial Statements. That's normal and is actually required for municipalities following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the U. S. Both sets of financial statements together make up what is considered the basic financial statements under GASB 34.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are expecting some magical post from me thats going to solve Floridas problems it aint gonna happen.
I'm not an economist but i'd suggest the governor hire the best one he can and stop trying to boot the old and the poor off medicare and SS.If Scott thinks he's going to solve Floridas problems on the backs of the poor and the old it aint gonna work .
From my perspective i;d focus on cutting gvmnt waste. Raising taxes, institute a goods and services tax,and find some way of creating more jobs.
In the mean time those that have are going to pay for those that dont have one way or another whether they like it or not, its just the way it is.
Stop with the scare tactics! A governor has no authority to "boot the old and the poor off medicare and SS." Those are federal programs which the state has no control over.

Cutting government waste is always a good idea and there usually is a lot to cut. However if you think that by raising taxes and imposing new taxes will create jobs you're sadly mistaken. By and large the states with the lowest taxes are doing better at creating jobs than high tax states.

Finally with respect to your redistributionist tagline it may be the way it is but it isn't the way it has to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida