Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 15,661 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from College, I'm 22 and desperate to leave Michigan. My friend and I are looking into Fort Myers, FL. I'm worried that employment opportunities will be low and finding a short term lease may be difficult. I researched the area and there doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunities. I'm open to other options. I know the move will be difficult, any advice on the best place to move?

We're both 22, both have bachelor degrees in business
I'm looking for an administrative position to start
We both have experience with the bar industry, just in case! so a place with opportunities in that area would be great too!

Although Id like to consider myself a fearless female, a place with a low crime rate would def put my mind at ease. Not looking for a crazy party city, something in the middle =)

Any advice???

It'd be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Fort Myers should be off your list... No jobs down here and if you want to live cheaply, you will live in a pretty bad area if you ge cheap. Look into Sarasota... Tampa has some good areas. You have to go where the jobs are, Fort Myers is pretty rough right now. You could live in Cape Coral and try to work in Fort Myers???

Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 15,661 times
I figured that. I realized the houses I looked into were really cheep, I started looking into the area and the crime rate was really high, plus I was under the assumption that Fort Myers was more of a retirement community???

I've never been to Tampa, I'll def look into it, I was also thinking FT. Laderdale, Orlando?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksclark View Post
I just graduated from College, I'm 22 and desperate to leave Michigan. My friend and I are looking into Fort Myers, FL. I'm worried that employment opportunities will be low and finding a short term lease may be difficult. I researched the area and there doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunities. I'm open to other options. I know the move will be difficult, any advice on the best place to move?

We're both 22, both have bachelor degrees in business
I'm looking for an administrative position to start
We both have experience with the bar industry, just in case! so a place with opportunities in that area would be great too!

Although Id like to consider myself a fearless female, a place with a low crime rate would def put my mind at ease. Not looking for a crazy party city, something in the middle =)

Any advice???

It'd be greatly appreciated!!!
You might not want to hear this and I might get buzzed for posting this in the Florida forum but you should really look at Texas. I've lived in both places and can tell you that our economy is much stronger and we basically have more jobs then anyone. Your money will also go alot further here, and in Houston we have the hot as hell weather, beaches, palm trees, ect, ect and also have alot more culture, arts, ect, ect. and besides, Half of the state of Michigan is already here

Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 PM

126 posts, read 711,308 times
Houston is pretty dangerous. Just as or more dangerous than all Florida cities. I did like Katy however, which is a very nice suburb of Houston. If I had lived there instead of San Antonio, I might have enjoyed my 5 years in Texas. And as far as beaches go, the ones closest to Houston are DISGUSTING. Galveston is a pit. If I lived within 100 miles of a beach like that, I sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone. People have contracted flesh eating viruses there. And yes, Texas' economy is better than Florida's, but I haven't really noticed a difference. I infinitely prefer Florida to Texas.

Since you're 22, I would DEFINITELY move to Tampa/St Pete or Orlando. Much younger populations than Ft Myers and MUCH MUCH more to do! Lots of pretty girls, bars/clubs, sports, concerts in the Orlando and Tampa areas. Even Jacksonville would be a much better fit as J-Ville has one of the youngest populations in Florida. Lots of southern girls and long stretches of nice white beaches. I would avoid Ft Myers at all costs. It is the quintessential south Florida town with beautiful tropical scenery. It's a great place to live, but the young would just be too bored there. Take it from me, I grew up in Lee County and all my friends hated the lack of quality entertainment. Ft Lauderdale/Miami Beach would be great too, but Miami is too culturally Cuban for my taste to live. For visits, it's great. Fort Lauderdale is much more "white".

Last edited by td1026; 07-08-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
And as far as beaches go, the ones closest to Houston are DISGUSTING. Galveston is a pit. If I lived within 100 miles of a beach like that, I sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone. People have contracted flesh eating viruses there. And yes, Texas' economy is better than Florida's, but I haven't really noticed a difference. I infinitely prefer Florida to Texas.
Galveston isn't that bad. It gets a bad rep because the water is brown. (Texas doesn't invest in caribbean sand like Florida does)

'Flesh-eating' bacteria infections rare (http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=fd1c4c3dfe3a83a2 - broken link)

As for the flesh eating virus, few of the cases were in Galveston, Most were in Bolivar and Crystal Beach. I found a site claiming there have been 300 cases of flesh eating bacteria in the Gulf and they have been spread out between not only Texas but also Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and.. Florida.

Lets not forget about stories like these...

Flesh-Eating Infection Strikes Fishermen, Surfer In Volusia - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.clickorlando.com/news/2567831/detail.html - broken link)
Flesh Eating Bacteria from St Johns River Kills Woman in Florida - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
Panama City, FL: Man dies of flesh-eating bacteria vibrio vulnificus -BCHD | Florida Oil Spill Law

If you haven't noticed a difference in the job markets in Florida and Texas, You aren't looking..

Current unemployment rate in Florida is 10.6%, Current unemployment rate in Texas is 8.0%

Well...

This says it all...

State of the States

Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM

191 posts, read 632,772 times
Sarasota is definately worth a look

Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksclark View Post
I figured that. I realized the houses I looked into were really cheep, I started looking into the area and the crime rate was really high, plus I was under the assumption that Fort Myers was more of a retirement community???

I've never been to Tampa, I'll def look into it, I was also thinking FT. Laderdale, Orlando?
Orlando would be good to look into, just make sure you look at the areas first, there are really crappy areas of Orlando too, it's not all Disney there. Fort Myers is not loaded with old people, that is reserved for Naples.... You should ask people in the lauderdale area threads about what it is like over there, never been, so I haven't a clue.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM

378 posts, read 829,806 times
Look into Venice or Sarasota, just a little north of where you mentioned. Both are very safe places with great beach areas with Sarasota being larger. Both have great festivals and are not far from Tampa/St Pete where you can find anything you could look for.

You may want to due more due diligence before moving to Florida in the first place. A Michigan snowstorm won't level your home and destroy all your possessions. Millions have moved to FL just to move out, poorer. And those statistics are from when the Florida economy was much better than today. I know the Florida moving co's, re agents and landlords need the money, check things out.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 PM

26 posts, read 51,587 times
I have lived in Pensacola (North part of Florida), Cape Coral-Fort Myers (Southwest), and now I live in Fort Lauderdale-Miami(southeast). While none of these places are good in my opinion, I would definitely stay away from the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area. The unemployment there is higher than other areas in Florida and is honestly a ghost town with whole neighborhoods full of empty houses (Obama called it the foreclosure capital of the US). As bad as Michigan looks right now to you, be smart and look to other states such as Texas. Dont get fooled by pictures of palm trees and sandy beaches, here is expensive and people are rude. By the way, I am moving to Houston in less than a month and I cannot wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida