Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Have friend whose SIL was offered use of beach house in Seaside area--Rosemary Beach--this next week for long 4 day weekend...
They are flying in Thursday--young couple w/2 kids under 4, my friend and her sister and husband...

Apparently the house is off Rosemary Avenue and Round Rd--from the map on the rental company site--they still don't know the exact address--but it is beach front...

Any suggestions for a good place to find a lobster roll--
I saw the Shrimp Shack in Seaside and it does not get such great reviews.
Having places that are overpriced is par for the course in upscale community like Seaside I guess--or just for most vacation spots...

They also like Italian food and steak--so suggestions for those would be appreciated as well--

They will probably stop in Destin at the Walmart on their way in from VPS airport --any other places to get diapers and food reasonably in Rosemary Beach area?

Is it worth the time to drive into Panama City Beach --anything special to see, do, eat? My friend and her daughter have been to PCB years ago when we stayed at the Edgewater Beach condos--so unless there is something really special I don't think they would want to make a 40 min drive...

They fly out Monday from VPS--what kind of drive time to airport would be realistic
some of them are flying on passes and have to check in 1.5 hrs before flight at the latest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
You're unlikely to find much in the way of lobster rolls around here. The local seafood is along the lines of grouper, mahi-mahi and wild Gulf shrimp.

There are a number of Publix supermarket locations in the area, and they'll handle food & diaper needs. They've also got a decent deli counter for sandwiches and rotisserie chicken when you don't feel like a big fuss for a meal. Panama City Beach has a water park, small zoo/dolphin show attraction (Gulf World, I think), a Ripley's Muesum, and a few midway rides at the Pier Park shopping area, but it's not like Orlando theme park level.

Lots of good resraurants in the Grayton Beach area west of Rosemary- The Red Bar, Shorty's, Pickle Factory Pizza, House of Klaus, etc. If you're trying to keep food expenses reasonable but don't want to feel too deprived, I'd plan on doing lunch at a restaurant for your big meal of the day and then dinner back at the beach house.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
So you think Destin area is better in general for restaurants than PCB area--will pass that along

There are plenty of WalMarts, Targets, and Publix around
the area has grown up since we were there (more than 10 yrs ago)

Old 07-31-2011, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times
BeachMouse covered everything very well. If they go off 30-A, they'll find a good choice of affordable restaurants along 98 going towards Destin. If they don't want to fight the crowd at the Destin Wal-Mart, there are new Wal-Marts in Niceville (which they will pass on their way to the bridge) and Santa Rosa Beach.

As far as the distance to the airport, they should ask someone where they are staying. There is a big difference in travel time between Seaside and Rosemary Beach. I would guess they'll need to allow at least 90 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida