Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing DixieLand playing ever so softly in the background

Lots of good people from the North and the South and the West. Any time you have a high number of people in an area the growth will cause congestion and apathy (that's the whole nobody saying "hi" or helping out a stranger thing). It's also because of people moving from rural areas in Florida to the more urban suburban areas.

There are just as many negatives to the "old" Florida as there are to the "new".

Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
there really does seem to be 2 different florida's. one is overcrowded, ppl are more rude, impatient, and drive like idiots. i do think there are many great ppl from the northeast, but, there does seem to be a common theme in fla. the cities that are really popular with the northeasterners usually are the cities that are known for being more crowded, ppl more impatient and rude, and drive bad. just my 2 cents.
Oh so wrong, my backtofla friend. Southwest Florida is packed full of those above-described people, and they are mostly from the mid-west.

I agree, though, that old Florida is what I wanted. Even Orlando was better, more southerners there, at least when I lived there ten years ago.

You see, I'm from the northeast, but I lived in the country, a town of 14,000, and all the surrounding towns were the same way. That's why I moved to Tennessee. I'm just a country-girl, at heart. In fact, Knoxville is too darn big for me. But where I live, the population is 4,000. There are more cows and horses on my street than there are people. There's a post office, a general store and a fire department, yet it's 15 minutes to the city.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
Hmmm, without yankees, Florida would be a much cleaner, friendlier, scenic, and slower paced lifestyle kind of place........like the Florida of old, like the Florida that I remember where folks would say "hey" as you walked down the road, where folks care about each other, would look you in the eye and lend a hand, where I could skip rocks in the Suwannee river with my cousin, go out back and shoot birds in the swamp with uncle Jed or go over to papaw and mamaw's and pick some oranges from the backyard.

Unfortunately, many (not all, I know of some great yankees who are great people), but many do not respect the southern way and have re-created the same hell-holes that they tried to escape from in the first place. The old Florida, the Florida that we love is gone forever........

And yes, I still display my confederate flag as does my black neighbor down the street.
We had all that here also except i picked pears or apples I guess you did not read my post before yours did you. I wonder who I should blame for the world not being the same as it was 30 years ago. And why do you display a confederate flag? does your boys and girls die for our country just like the ones from up north?last I checked we were one. but I guess you dont want to be one cause that is what you are saying hanging that flag up. but you can do that and why because this is the usa and you are allowed to.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
and who attends those preseason games? it is pretty disappointing when you go to a marlins game or a devil rays game and more ppl are cheering for the yanks than the hometeam!?! or go to a dolphins game vs the jets, and you here ppl shouting "j-e-t-s, jets, jets, jets!"

i actually like the yanks, but i am a floridian.
Well, being actually from the Motor City, I'm a Tiger fan always, but the Yankees, Islanders, Giants were instilled from being married to a Long Islander...my bf loves the Yankees, and we've all been down here over 10 years....You know that half of Miami is from NY, c'mon now...chill!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Quote:
Hmmm, without yankees, Florida would be a much cleaner, friendlier, scenic, and slower paced lifestyle kind of place........like the Florida of old, like the Florida that I remember where folks would say "hey" as you walked down the road, where folks care about each other, would look you in the eye and lend a hand, where I could skip rocks in the Suwannee river with my cousin, go out back and shoot birds in the swamp with uncle Jed or go over to papaw and mamaw's and pick some oranges from the backyard.

Unfortunately, many (not all, I know of some great yankees who are great people), but many do not respect the southern way and have re-created the same hell-holes that they tried to escape from in the first place. The old Florida, the Florida that we love is gone forever........

And yes, I still display my confederate flag as does my black neighbor down the street.
I lived in Florida before back in 1971. Far enough back? Were you alive then? Other than the college, Gainesville looked like a one horse town. However, I never saw any confederate flags a flying. Don't remember any orange trees or anybody shooting birds either. All those "livral" college kids must have ruined, it even back then.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh so wrong, my backtofla friend. Southwest Florida is packed full of those above-described people, and they are mostly from the mid-west.

I agree, though, that old Florida is what I wanted. Even Orlando was better, more southerners there, at least when I lived there ten years ago.

You see, I'm from the northeast, but I lived in the country, a town of 14,000, and all the surrounding towns were the same way. That's why I moved to Tennessee. I'm just a country-girl, at heart. In fact, Knoxville is too darn big for me. But where I live, the population is 4,000. There are more cows and horses on my street than there are people. There's a post office, a general store and a fire department, yet it's 15 minutes to the city.
thank you hik I was trying to tell people not to blame it all on yankees it is just the way it is now all over except where you are LOL.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:

Yes, it is...they tried to keep Anna Maria old Florida, but the developers have even won over there...two duplexes to one lot building is the building plan now...more bedrooms than roads on that island now...go figure.

Yes, it is...they tried to keep Anna Maria old Florida, but the developers have even won over there...two duplexes to one lot building is the building plan now...more bedrooms than roads on that island now...go figure.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
hiknapster, my tn friend, but there are places in northern fla that are still old fla. that's what i was referring to... but yeah, orlando and south fla are not the old fla any longer.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 PM

130 posts, read 597,672 times
Bronx born, Queens/Flushing/LI raised, moved here as a "young'n".

Speaking froma carpetbaggers point of view, ;-) I rather enjoy the genteel southern ways.

Besides, the south got her revenge from the humiliation of Lee's surrender, did they not? Booth put an extra hole in someone's head...

YET, the North still prevailed, and slavery was abolished, and eventually, Jim Crow was overturned, and the KKK had to be relegated to the shadows.. along w. the skinheads.. but they're still out there.. they're still out there.. Ready to pounce w. the "militia's".

And we openminded well armed people, will be ready.

Peace!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 PM

67 posts, read 275,156 times
Quote:
and who attends those preseason games? it is pretty disappointing when you go to a marlins game or a devil rays game and more ppl are cheering for the yanks than the hometeam!?! or go to a dolphins game vs the jets, and you here ppl shouting "j-e-t-s, jets, jets, jets!"

i actually like the yanks, but i am a floridian.
No one goes to the marlins or D-Rays games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida