Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,991 times

Advertisements

Pandora, I don't currently live in Ocala; I am back in NY now, where I am originally from. When my parents and I relocated from NY to FL back in the mid-90s, we rented in the Ocala area for about 3 months while my parents were deciding where they wanted to buy a home. Ocala is definitely Florida's horse country. It's not a bad city, but I would think that there may be more job opportunities in the Tampa area since it is so much bigger. The only college in Ocala is Central Florida Community College. The University of Florida is about 30-45 minutes to the north in Gainesville.

I noticed from reading the Ocala forum that several people complained about high utility rates in the Ocala area. I don't know how important being close to the beach is to you if you move to FL, but as Ocala is well inland, I remember it took something like 75-90 minutes to drive out to the beaches on the east coast (Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach) from Ocala.

I would read posts in the Ocala and Tampa forums here on CD and ask any specific questions you have about employment, etc on those forums. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,628,787 times
OP, have you been run out of Florida, yet.....? LOL.

My son had a SIL that lived in CO. He and 2 nephews went out for a visit in January and after 2 days of snowboarding, were ready to go home. They lived in Vero Beach.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorathepansy View Post

We're moving from CO because of several reasons.

We HATE CO, the snow, the area we're in, the people we're around, and it's time for a change, and an "adventure" per se..
Exactly--us too. We left Denver in 2005, no regrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
man, i don't know too many people who would pick florida over colorado. the scenery alone is far more majestic.
We chose Florida, and we know other Coloradans who did as well. Denver is becoming quite crowded with people enjoying that scenery, and they are welcome to it.
I prefer the scenery of dolphins frolicking in the Atlantic.
Quote:
yes i know.

disagree 100% about the weather though, unless you live in one of those 10000 ft+ mountain towns. the dry air and abundant sunshine keep things warmer than the thermometer says they are.
That dry air also gave me eczema every winter. I don't get it anymore.
Every place is a trade-off, and sometimes people just want something new.
Colorado may look delightful to you while on vacation, but the day-to-day reality (snowstorms in May) gets old after awhile, and we needed the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Ocala is definitely Florida's horse country.

I would read posts in the Ocala and Tampa forums here on CD and ask any specific questions you have about employment, etc on those forums. Good luck to you!
Agree. I have a Colorado friend who is a horsewoman, and she said Ocala was definitely the place to be for that, but not much more. Employment may be a problem.
Good luck with your research, from one Colorado transplant who is happy in Florida.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 AM

113 posts, read 223,526 times
Quote:
man, i don't know too many people who would pick florida over colorado. the scenery alone is far more majestic. what part of CO are you in?
Here's another one who prefers FL to CO. I'm in Colorado Springs now, but I'm from Florida and plan to move back next year. Pikes Peak is pretty and all, but I'm just not made for winters - especially when they can last from October to May. Give me the beach and humidity any day over this!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:28 AM

753 posts, read 843,032 times
It is my goal (dream) to move to Colorado and snowbird to Florida. I'm hoping to be able to do that within the next two years. So this was an interesting thread. This is the time of year I'd be leaving CO for FL and would head back there probably late May.

I'm looking at the rural towns in Eastern CO but near bigger cities/towns (Denver, Pueblo). I live in Pensacola and we're very isolated from a city (3 hours to New Orleans). I want a closer city at least half of my year.

What's your favorite small town near either Denver or Pueblo?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
It is my goal (dream) to move to Colorado and snowbird to Florida. I'm hoping to be able to do that within the next two years. So this was an interesting thread. This is the time of year I'd be leaving CO for FL and would head back there probably late May.

I'm looking at the rural towns in Eastern CO but near bigger cities/towns (Denver, Pueblo). I live in Pensacola and we're very isolated from a city (3 hours to New Orleans). I want a closer city at least half of my year.

What's your favorite small town near either Denver or Pueblo?
I'd take Denver itself, or Boulder.
Denver is a lot more affordable, there are a variety of neighborhoods you can study. Ft Collins is a lovely town, and might be a good compromise between the two, but it has grown so much. You might as well be closer to Denver and all a big city offers.

Between Colorado Springs and Denver, it is becoming one long line of municipalities joining together.
These days, many choose Thornton, Louisville, or Ft Collins to the north, or Castle Rock to the south. You might look into Thornton or Louisville.
I know that Pueblo and Canyon City (further south) have grown. To me, they are so far away from Denver, though.

I spent almost two years in Port St Joe (east of Pensacola) and I know what you mean about the closeness of a big city. For us, Panama City was the closest 'big' city!

I think what you are pursuing is a fine idea, and if we were retired with the right income, I would love to spend a month or so in Colorado every summer.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Try some of these sites.. Google

Old 09-25-2011, 09:42 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,618 times
Quote:
yes i know.

disagree 100% about the weather though, unless you live in one of those 10000 ft+ mountain towns. the dry air and abundant sunshine keep things warmer than the thermometer says they are.
I agree. Also it is quite a different climate on the front range than the NE or midwest. Lots of comfortable days but you can get artic blasts for as many months as you get relentless heat and humidity in the southern part of FL. Pick your poison, pick your paradise..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
OP, have you been run out of Florida, yet.....? LOL.

My son had a SIL that lived in CO. He and 2 nephews went out for a visit in January and after 2 days of snowboarding, were ready to go home. They lived in Vero Beach.

That's kind of sad to here. When people limit themselves like that and can't enjoy something new and different.

Especially at young age when you can physically do things like snowboarding.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
I do not know anyone who snowboards or skis every day so come to paradise and head back to Denver a few times a year to do this.

Life is much better here in Florida then in any cold weather area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida