Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:48 AM

776 posts, read 1,674,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I hate to disagree with you, but by and large yes they are. Most have diversified economies, quality schools and sufficient infrastructure, as well as controlled growth and/or zoning. A vast majority of Florida cities don't have those desirable features that translate into overall livability.
Most on that new list are suburbs of big metro areas of the northeast, MSP, Chicago, Milwaukee, Denver, SLC, Seattle, Dallas not exactly the sticks some here make it out to be....Okay we got the nice winters, beaches and now low housing prices again down here as our big pluses but also notice how few on that list are in the sunbelt impacted more by the housing bust near term..

Notice how much California fell since the 2005 list with metro DC the big gainer..

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2005
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,216,372 times
I think lists like this are similar to consumer confidence surveys. They are more about how somebody feels about the future more than about the reality of the present or future outlook.

Sunbelt cities have a lot of people who do not feel good about things right now. So, the park doesnt seem as well kept, the beach isnt quite as pretty, the store doesnt have the selection people want anymore, the schools are suddenly just tolerable, the museums/zoos are average, etc, etc...all because the collection of individuals have different life circumstances than they did when they enjoyed all of those things a few years earlier. And much of those life circumstances relate to the housing bust (i.e. their wealth/equity went away). And some of it is the side effect of the housing bust (i.e. their job now went away).

Wait until the number of people taking advantage of the low housing prices outnumbers the people suffering from them....then you'll see people who think their quality of life is amazing again.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,133,919 times
In the late 90's and early 2000's Seattle was always at teh top of this list. Seattle is now overpopulated and congested. It's nothing like it was and is not nearly as nice of a place to live. Austin, TX has been on the list for many years.... again.... it's being overran and becoming a less and less desirable place to live.

Glad we are not on this list.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
I think lists like this are similar to consumer confidence surveys. They are more about how somebody feels about the future more than about the reality of the present or future outlook.

Sunbelt cities have a lot of people who do not feel good about things right now. So, the park doesnt seem as well kept, the beach isnt quite as pretty, the store doesnt have the selection people want anymore, the schools are suddenly just tolerable, the museums/zoos are average, etc, etc...all because the collection of individuals have different life circumstances than they did when they enjoyed all of those things a few years earlier. And much of those life circumstances relate to the housing bust (i.e. their wealth/equity went away). And some of it is the side effect of the housing bust (i.e. their job now went away).

Wait until the number of people taking advantage of the low housing prices outnumbers the people suffering from them....then you'll see people who think their quality of life is amazing again.
Consumer confidence is hardly high anywhere right now, so I wouldn't attribute any shifts in surveys to that. Florida has fallen off the national scope of favorite status due to our devalued/overbuilt housing market, lack of jobs/industry and lack of progressive vision from our elected officials. Beaches and warm weather alone aren't enough anymore.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,216,372 times
Quote:
Consumer confidence is hardly high anywhere right now, so I wouldn't attribute any shifts in surveys to that. Florida has fallen off the national scope of favorite status due to our devalued/overbuilt housing market, lack of jobs/industry and lack of progressive vision from our elected officials. Beaches and warm weather alone aren't enough anymore.
I think we're saying the same thing. I said this report is "like" consumer confidence reports...the difference here is that consumer confidence is bad everywhere & much worse in Florida (and other sunbelt areas) because they have been harder hit.

Keep in mind though...not everybody relocating to Florida came for just the weather even when the economy was in good shape (or appeared that way)...just that it may have been the tiebreaker, all things being equal.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:46 PM

378 posts, read 830,962 times
Quote:
If people up north knew that beach advisories and closings due to high bacteria from fecal matter were increasing, maybe even less will move here or visit and gobble up that local seafood. Ask a northerner what red tide is.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,970,793 times
Most of florida isn't a family oriented place. Its a retirement state, families I don't think flock here when they have young children and if they do I think a lot leave shortly after. My husband and I were content to be here until we had our daughter, now we feel she's in inconvience to others here who want to live their lives in quiet and die esentially. There are more golf courses and bingo halls than playgrounds and activities for kids. During season its never things for kinds to do its festivals for art, or stitching so I can see where it comes from.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,335,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Most of florida isn't a family oriented place. Its a retirement state, families I don't think flock here when they have young children and if they do I think a lot leave shortly after. My husband and I were content to be here until we had our daughter, now we feel she's in inconvience to others here who want to live their lives in quiet and die esentially. There are more golf courses and bingo halls than playgrounds and activities for kids. During season its never things for kinds to do its festivals for art, or stitching so I can see where it comes from.
Recommended. All Florida is going to get is more retirees and snowbirds, which will do NOTHING for the economy. Families? Yeah, maybe housing is really cheap, but that will not mean SQUAT if there are no JOBS. Retirees, or snowbirds, may not need jobs, but FAMILIES DO.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,049,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
If people up north knew that beach advisories and closings due to high bacteria from fecal matter were increasing, maybe even less will move here or visit and gobble up that local seafood. Ask a northerner what red tide is.
Any northerner who wants to move here will find out about red tide. (Sooner or later. )
Check the water quality here.
My county is clean.
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Yes, I do think it depends where you live. I probably would not move, as a family, to Naples.

I teach preschool so I know that some families do live in Florida.
I wouldn't have a job if they didn't.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,349,565 times
If you want affordable though, FL is the place to be

Where homes are affordable - Hunter's Creek, FL (1) - Money Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida