Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,074 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has an idea of great places to live in Tampa. We're looking for something convenient to the base. We have 1 and 2 year old boys so schools aren't really a priority, maybe a nice pre-k. We just want somewhere safe with a descent commute to the base. I did see a nice gated community online, but I have no idea how nice it really is. I don't know how to acurretly describe where it is, so I'm just going to name things I see on Google Maps around it, lol. If anyone knows where I'm talking about opinions would be greatly appreciated. We're open for any advice. Thanks!

The neighborhood is on Courtney Palms Blvd. It's surrounded by these roads: Crosstown expy, Causeway Blvd, S. Falkenburg Rd, and FL-43 N/US-301 N.
East of Clair Mel City.

Sorry if those directions sounded silly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
macdill is kind of squished at the bottom of the peninsula it's on, so it's not terribly convenient to get there from some of the suburb areas. although, my coworker (who gets in at 7am) commutes from south riverview and says it takes him about 30-35 minutes.

st. pete isn't too bad of a haul from base. just over the gandy bridge. northeast is the nice part of town.

if you want to stick to tampa, most people will say to stay south of kennedy and north of gandy to find the nice parts, and they'd be mostly correct. south tampa is pricey (comparatively) but it's convenient and pretty nice. otherwise you're looking at westchase, brandon, riverview, and further out if you want to have a crappy commute but a nice 'hood.

have you looked at on-base housing? to be honest, the base itself is pretty dang nice as far as AF bases go.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 14,074 times
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely check those out! I would love to be in base housing, but we may end up letting my sister and brother-in-law come live with us and they're not military. The sacrifices we make for family!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:24 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
(I already commented on your thread in the TB forums)

But, IMO, I'm not a huge fan of these houses at macdill. They wanted to give us a 3 (or 4, i forget) bedroom *duplex*. For our BAH, we were able to get a 3 large bedroom *house* in Brandon. I'm not a fan of duplexes, i hate sharing walls, I usually get stuck next to the loud, annoying people.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,424 times
Anyone have opinions on living in town n country or Brandon? The main issue I have is the commute to Macdill AFB. How bad is the commute from Brandon?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
No on-base housing available like in Patrick AFB? The on-base housing over there is amazing, right by the beach, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida