Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times

Advertisements

I've lived here 4 1/2 years in Tampa. I have a nice apartment/condo overlooking a tropical courtyard and pool. Two blocks away is Bayshore Blvd (the longest waterfront sidewalk in the country). I go to the beach at least 5 times a month (even in winter) and love laying on the beach or sitting by the pool (or floating in the pool) with my cocktail and soaking up the gorgeous weather. My home is sprayed for bugs, so I almost never deal with that. I hav central air as does almost every building in the city so the summer heat/humidity isn't such a big deal. If I want to go outside and it is 94, I dress appropriately and pace myself (I'm in good shape, though, so the heat and humidity don't bother me as much as alot of people).

People who say "Forget Florida, it's not the paradise by the beach they think it is" are just making poor choices. I make average money (less than $40k per year) and I support a family of four on that budget.

Florida is what you make it. If you want to come here for the climate (it is sub-tropical to tropical) than you can make it what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
I've lived here 4 1/2 years in Tampa. I have a nice apartment/condo overlooking a tropical courtyard and pool. Two blocks away is Bayshore Blvd (the longest waterfront sidewalk in the country). I go to the beach at least 5 times a month (even in winter) and love laying on the beach or sitting by the pool (or floating in the pool) with my cocktail and soaking up the gorgeous weather. My home is sprayed for bugs, so I almost never deal with that. I hav central air as does almost every building in the city so the summer heat/humidity isn't such a big deal. If I want to go outside and it is 94, I dress appropriately and pace myself (I'm in good shape, though, so the heat and humidity don't bother me as much as alot of people).

People who say "Forget Florida, it's not the paradise by the beach they think it is" are just making poor choices. I make average money (less than $40k per year) and I support a family of four on that budget.

Florida is what you make it. If you want to come here for the climate (it is sub-tropical to tropical) than you can make it what you want.
Nice post, victorytampa. And actually the same goes for almost any other state. A lot of it is in one's attitude.

But for those who have come to Florida and had negative experiences, I can understand feeling down about it, because I myself have had my share of negatives here in my home state. The bottom line is that it is a BIG state, and diverse in economy, micro-climate, cultures, jobs, etc. and there is usually a city or town that can match your wants and needs. Even within cities, such as Tampa, there are better or worse choices of where to live depending on what one wants.

There are many areas of the country I know I would be happy to live, and many that I could not bear, including places here in Florida. Fortunately, hubby and me found a place that matches up to our needs and lifestyle perfectly, and for that we are grateful.

I sincerely hope all those heading into or out of my home state find everything you are looking for.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Well said, Gypsychic. I've had my share of frustrations with Tampa, but I've moved around a bit, learned to deal. One of my favorite lines is from Breakfast at Tiffany's, "The problem with running away is that you just keep running into yourself".

BTW, is your user name Gypsy Chic (pronounced SHEEK) as in fashionably inspired by Gypsy culture; or Gypsy Chic as in slang for a Roma girl?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM

174 posts, read 666,581 times
Quote:

That is great that Florida is all that you expected it to be and more.
Just because Florida is not paradise for everyone doesn't necessarily mean those made poor choices. As for me yeah maybe I made some poor choices and maybe went too much with trust and faith and was sadly mistaken. As for me I tried three areas and not what I want or expected and just not going to try another area. If I am going to move again, making it out of state.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Mustgetout,

Yes, my exboyfriend was so happy to move out to Seattle. He's been there three years now and loves it -- it seems he has found his place. Florida was just never right for him (unfortunately at the time and for now it's right for me, se la vie). I have my moments when I sometimes think the climate and flora (my main reasons for liking Tampa) don't make up for the frustrations.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
Any place is what you make of it. I personally really dislike Tampa, that is just me. I love the positive attitude in the OP though. If you are a miserable person I really think the misery will follow you. Location doesn't equal happiness. Some people complain no matter where they are and no matter what life throws at them. Florida is not for everyone, for some of us we really like it here and have found happiness. If you really dislike Florida so much maybe it would be better time well spent to search other forums for a state you do like. I don't like many states in the country but I won't complain about the things I dislike, I simply won't live there. In the OP you mention the Baywalk ? If i'm not mistaken this where the annual walk for breastcancer starts ? That's a nice view for sure, I have been down there many times

Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
indeed now that I have recently traveled a bit Florida does have some good things compared to other states.Housing costs are certainly a huge problem right now,depending on that it could make one leave or stay away from Fl.I grew up in Miami and now that I left there I can say that my beef was with Miami not so much Fl.

Heat,the only way one will truely escape heat is by moving to the north side of America.All states in the middle and south get hot in summer.There are only 3 states I would consider besides Fl.Texas,Tennnessee and possiblyNevada.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Well said, Gypsychic. I've had my share of frustrations with Tampa, but I've moved around a bit, learned to deal. One of my favorite lines is from Breakfast at Tiffany's, "The problem with running away is that you just keep running into yourself".

BTW, is your user name Gypsy Chic (pronounced SHEEK) as in fashionably inspired by Gypsy culture; or Gypsy Chic as in slang for a Roma girl?
I have a lot of "gypsy" nicknames. My board name here would be Gypsy (Sheek) as in fashionably inspired by Gypsy culture. However, it can be taken either way.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Yes not sitting by the canal or sitting by the pool is relaxing anymore (just a de-stresser doing laps).

So you are a single mom of 3 kids? I was for 7 years and not one penny of support either. I made 40k near Boston, so I understand (of course was shoveling instead of swimming).

I know what I want in life.....it's just not here for me. Everyone's situation is different and needs are. Maybe if I bought a house, I would be here complaining about HOI and taxes, but thank God that's not my frustration.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have a lot of "gypsy" nicknames. My board name here would be Gypsy (Sheek) as in fashionably inspired by Gypsy culture. However, it can be taken either way.
Thanks, I thought it was a merge of gypsy and psychic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: