Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida economy crash or success, successful businesses, professional services, doctors, lawyers, retirees migrating from northern states, real estate market, commercial development

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

The possibilities for Florida are good if the real estate speculation can be broken. As it is, most businesses are worth more demolished than operating. A general rule for business property is that it should never be valued at more than 5 times gross yearly reciepts. Anything over that is insanity. I have seen industrial properties that take in 1M per year being valued over 20M, that's total insanity! The bowling center I used to go to had gross reciepts of 800K and sold for over 14M just to be demolished for a shopping center! With huge valuations like that, nobody would want to build a factory when they could just develop the land, take the money and RUN! The property taxes on an industrial facility would be outrageous, cutting deep into profits. Then there is the corrupt power structure in many Florida cities to deal with, it's no wonder the big companies bypass the state.

Considering the challenges facing the US economy, I would have liked to establish an alternative-energy technology center of manufacturing in the center of the state. Having access to rail, water and air transportation would be necessary. An abundance of cheap, properly zoned land is another requirement. Florida has a few excellent educational institutions to work with, and a corporate sponsorship would probably be welcome. How in the world can universities offer degrees in subjects without knowing what industry really needs? Spending 4 years to study obsolete material is not a good use of our time.

To get Florida back on track we need to :

1) Destroy the real estate bubble

2) Cut Government managment employment by 50%

3) Promote technology and allow independant thinking

4) Reform the educational system, cut costs and eliminate most upper management. Allow industry greater access to curriculum.

5) Deport all illegal immigrants who are not willing to go through a lawful assimilation process. Remove all free health care for illegal aliens.

6) Promote self-sufficiency and health consciousness among Florida residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The possibilities for Florida are good if the real estate speculation can be broken. As it is, most businesses are worth more demolished than operating. A general rule for business property is that it should never be valued at more than 5 times gross yearly reciepts. Anything over that is insanity. I have seen industrial properties that take in 1M per year being valued over 20M, that's total insanity! The bowling center I used to go to had gross reciepts of 800K and sold for over 14M just to be demolished for a shopping center! With huge valuations like that, nobody would want to build a factory when they could just develop the land, take the money and RUN! The property taxes on an industrial facility would be outrageous, cutting deep into profits. Then there is the corrupt power structure in many Florida cities to deal with, it's no wonder the big companies bypass the state.

Considering the challenges facing the US economy, I would have liked to establish an alternative-energy technology center of manufacturing in the center of the state. Having access to rail, water and air transportation would be necessary. An abundance of cheap, properly zoned land is another requirement. Florida has a few excellent educational institutions to work with, and a corporate sponsorship would probably be welcome. How in the world can universities offer degrees in subjects without knowing what industry really needs? Spending 4 years to study obsolete material is not a good use of our time.

To get Florida back on track we need to :

1) Destroy the real estate bubble

2) Cut Government managment employment by 50%

3) Promote technology and allow independant thinking

4) Reform the educational system, cut costs and eliminate most upper management. Allow industry greater access to curriculum.

5) Deport all illegal immigrants who are not willing to go through a lawful assimilation process. Remove all free health care for illegal aliens.

6) Promote self-sufficiency and health consciousness among Florida residents.
Just wanted to let you know that the City of Venice Florida had a very wonderful opportunity to develop an alternate-energy facility on hundreds of acres adjoining the local airport adjacent to the Gulf of Mexico. The area is nothing but pristine Florida coastal wilderness and home to numerous birds and animals. Construction of an alternate-energy facility would have had little impact on the nature surrounding it, and would have brought much needed specialized (decent paying) employment to the area. I believe a proposal was made.

However, the local politicans, in all their splendor, decided that a highly environmental impacting, Marina and Resort, (with million dollar condos), would bring the low paying hospitality jobs necessary to this area (sarcasm).

Last edited by Carbondated; 08-20-2007 at 01:12 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
In Dade City (Pasco County) one of large old defunct citrus processing plants is gearing up to manufacture biodiesel - it will be one of the largest facilities in the country:

Business: OJ plant to deliver new crop: biodiesel

Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
[quote=121804;1311806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Go to any larger sized city in California, Texas or North Carolina and you realize real estate isn't the economy nor do the people living there obsess with it like here in Florida.QUOTE]

We were on the outskirts of Austing for 5 years. It was very interesting to watch that city explode. But, it sorta of appears with Austin that buisness came prior to the excessive people growth. Housing & commerical growth grew WITH the people. Not saying the place is perfect b/c its infrastructure is the pits, but it is an example, IMO, of an area that doesn't rely on tourism or real estate to control its economy & is a city that has constantly for the past several years that keeps seeing positive growth.

North Carolina [Cary, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham] also saw the influx of banking & IT to draw positive growth.

Again, not saying these are perfect nirvanas, just things I've noticed.

Most areas of Florida just doesn't seem to have the professional development that can jump start an economy & control RE [to an extent].

Sure seems that way to me too. Only in Jacksonville do I sense any decent balance with a strong real economy down here.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM

67 posts, read 275,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
the "perfect" economic balance. Success does not come by forcing an economic template upon a state that can not support rigid economic thinking.
Florida is that state where traditional economies will not fit.

Florida has a unique footprint in the US economy. The two primary foundational building blocks are tourism and agriculture. Florida has great success in both venues, but most importantly they fit. I do believe however, we have (as a state), allowed the sugar industry to create an agricultural cancer in the southern part of the Florida. That would be a whole other post... but if you live in Florida you most likely understand... but agriculture as a whole is doing well. Tourism is strong and will remain strong... over the long term.
As with any economy, foundational industries develop off spring. Housing certainly is a prime example. With increases in population support services such as utilities, water, services, retail must keep pace. This is where jobs initially grow.... and rightfully so.

Florida is a modern economy.... meaning we do not have roots in areas like manufacturing. As a result we have experience growing gains/pains. We probably never will be a manufacturing state in traditional thinking. I don't see Florida as a good location for manufacturing ... geographically. We are however, poised to be the "hub" for the Americas... as in North and South America. This is already taking place... and is a natural fit in the global economy.

Florida is in a real estate depression... I agree, but I also understand we will always be a "destination" for many, either as tourists or residence. Nothing wrong with that, and it is a viable sustainable industry(s), from which new and emerging markets will develop. A few come to mind, the Bio-Medical field,
bio-fuels (agricultural based), International Banking... but tourism and agriculture will always be our roots.

We should never try to be something ... we can never be. Alaska wouldn't make a good beach destination, and Florida isn't likely to be a destination for heavy manufacturing. Understanding our natural "fit" and then move away from traditional thinking will spawn new and exciting directions for the Florida economy.

yeah, ask residents of Michigan and Ohio how they like the manufacturing industry right now...people are losing jobs hand over fist up there.

I have an economics degree, so I am enjoying the basis of this thread. I am new to Florida though and therefore not familiar enough to add much substance to this discussion. Interesting stuff though...

Last edited by philly76er; 08-20-2007 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
I remember moving to Port Charlotte in 2003 and the local channel showed a couple fellows, one being a "Charlie Shoe" in a tv ad promoting the area ( to the people who live here? ), and saying , " We sure are proud of our new GOVERNMENT building".

How pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida